Retro Gaming: Play on the original console or emulate?

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For the purists I understand them wanting the original consoles, but personally I'm just tired of having crap lying around which I might use once or so and then never again so for me emulation serves me perfectly. Plus, for those who live in PAL regions (Europe/Australia) they're stuck buying PAL copies which were slowed down or have to import from overseas and that might not be a cheap hobby for them.

Heh, that's like a Baby Mode playing it on PAL. xD

Sonic 1 is a bad example of PAL games, but a great example of a terrible port. Most PAL games may run at 50 fps but the game logic itself has been sped up so that everything still happens at the correct speeds ingame. They just didn't bother to do that in a bunch of games, like Sonic 1. Sonic 2 and 3 for example play at the correct speed even on PAL.

All that said, I prefer original hardware when possible since many consoles have character that most emulators still don't capture. For example audio usually doesn't sound correctly as the soundfonts are handled differently by the DAC and AMP than they are on PC or whatever. Usually not a big difference but a difference nonetheless. In other cases emulation just isn't perfect yet. Rendering a game at 4k is worthless if shaders don't work correctly and a transparency effect just ends up being a pink garbled mess. Some accessories also still don't work with emulators (yet) so a few games have to be played on real hardware.
But I'll still gladly emulate games if necessary, my Analogue Pocket is my go-to choice for most Gameboy games and I can play a whole load of romhacks on it that aren't compatible with my real hardware, like NTSC NES games. And in general sometimes wanting to play outside of my apartment means it'll be on the steam deck instead of my consoles for the sake of convenience.

There's no wrong way to play videogames, apart from cloud gaming.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
There are so many perks in emulation I can't imagine going back to original hardware. Sometimes I wonder how I was able to 100% some games back in the day, like Blast Corps or SM64, without save states etc lol !

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Ever since I got into console collecting, I do my best to play games that I have a console for on their original hardware. Of course, there's always a problem for me to get the best possible accessories, peripherals, games, mods, etc. and still stay within budget. Since i mainly play games made for Nintendo consoles, I emulate most of them on my Wii U via Retroarch, mainly because it's convenient (I don't really use my PC a lot for emulation - I used to do that in the past, but not anymore). I haven't played many games from the NES and SNES era, I barely touched N64 games, but starting from GameCube and GBA I've played a few for a much longer time.

For GameCube games, I mainly used my Wii U at first as it was convenient. Recently I managed to buy my very first GameCube in a decent shape (even came with the Game Boy Player) and I've been trying to find an affordable solution for getting a decent enough image from it. I recently bought a Panasonic TV which has component, SCART and few HDMI ports. I use its composite cable to connect to the TV which, sadly, isn't the best, but it's still doable. I plan on getting one of the HDMI adapters but at the moment they are a bit too pricey for me (my current sallary isn't all that great to support such an endeavor, but I'm working on it).

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are so many perks in emulation I can't imagine going back to original hardware. Sometimes I wonder how I was able to 100% some games back in the day, like Blast Corps or SM64, without save states etc lol !
I recently tried the PSP emulator on Android and after that, I don't think I'll bother using a PSP/Vita for it as the emulator is so dang nice to use with all its options.

PSP has a solid library and the games still look like they were made just a few years ago to me.

What's more, PSP got the Power Stone collection and I love that since Capcom has ignored the IP ever since.

Reactions: Ligeia

marchrius

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ever since I got into console collecting, I do my best to play games that I have a console for on their original hardware. Of course, there's always a problem for me to get the best possible accessories, peripherals, games, mods, etc. and still stay within budget. Since i mainly play games made for Nintendo consoles, I emulate most of them on my Wii U via Retroarch, mainly because it's convenient (I don't really use my PC a lot for emulation - I used to do that in the past, but not anymore). I haven't played many games from the NES and SNES era, I barely touched N64 games, but starting from GameCube and GBA I've played a few for a much longer time.

For GameCube games, I mainly used my Wii U at first as it was convenient. Recently I managed to buy my very first GameCube in a decent shape (even came with the Game Boy Player) and I've been trying to find an affordable solution for getting a decent enough image from it. I recently bought a Panasonic TV which has component, SCART and few HDMI ports. I use its composite cable to connect to the TV which, sadly, isn't the best, but it's still doable. I plan on getting one of the HDMI adapters but at the moment they are a bit too pricey for me (my current sallary isn't all that great to support such an endeavor, but I'm working on it).

I do the same, I just happen to have an interest only in Nintendo consoles and the Playstation 1 because that's what I had when I was a child so a Wii U runs everything for me. I have a Wii U connected to a CRT TV for retro games and another U connected to a modern TV (along with a Switch) for Wii U/certain Wii games. Couldn't be happier tbh but I fear the day my CRT dies on me. Retro games on a modern TV are not quite the same.

Ligeia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I recently tried the PSP emulator on Android and after that, I don't think I'll bother using a PSP/Vita for it as the emulator is so dang nice to use with all its options.

PSP has a solid library and the games still look like they were made just a few years ago to me.

What's more, PSP got the Power Stone collection and I love that since Capcom has ignored the IP ever since.

Yeah I also think the PSP library is great, I never owned one back in the day and I'm thrilled I can play most of these games on the Switch !

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
I prefer original hardware. I'd also probably not mind FPGA emulation if the cost of entry wasn't so high.
At least when it comes to older consoles, if they were maintained, things just work without much fumbling around. The same can't really be said about software emulation in all cases.

I do still have some emulators I'm impressed by, such as Duckstation, Dolphin, and rpcs3, but I'd rather use the real hardware given the choice, almost always.

Reactions: Fien

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been changing settings on PPSSPP on PC to see which work the best for me and I'm very satisfied with the emulator overall. This is what I wanted way back when the PSP was out and I sorta did, used a plugin to display the PSP screen on the monitor. :)

Furthermore, even though I have the 60Hz (or 60fps) setting enabled, games still run at 30fps so a bit disappointing as I'd like them a bit faster.

Reactions: Ligeia and CoolMe

pojes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sonic 1 is a bad example of PAL games, but a great example of a terrible port. Most PAL games may run at 50 fps but the game logic itself has been sped up so that everything still happens at the correct speeds ingame. They just didn't bother to do that in a bunch of games, like Sonic 1. Sonic 2 and 3 for example play at the correct speed even on PAL.

All that said, I prefer original hardware when possible since many consoles have character that most emulators still don't capture. For example audio usually doesn't sound correctly as the soundfonts are handled differently by the DAC and AMP than they are on PC or whatever. Usually not a big difference but a difference nonetheless. In other cases emulation just isn't perfect yet. Rendering a game at 4k is worthless if shaders don't work correctly and a transparency effect just ends up being a pink garbled mess. Some accessories also still don't work with emulators (yet) so a few games have to be played on real hardware.
But I'll still gladly emulate games if necessary, my Analogue Pocket is my go-to choice for most Gameboy games and I can play a whole load of romhacks on it that aren't compatible with my real hardware, like NTSC NES games. And in general sometimes wanting to play outside of my apartment means it'll be on the steam deck instead of my consoles for the sake of convenience when is open enrollment for health insurance 2024.

There's no wrong way to play videogames, apart from cloud gaming.
Hello. Which is better? Console emulator for PC or real console (Sony PS1, PS2...)?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
As someone who has real hardware, I'd say emulate or use FPGA if possible, presuming their quality is any good.

Dealing with real hardware can be a PITA and expensive.

Edit:

I find dealing with hardware at times can be a hobby in itself, such as the hassle I had getting the Pistorm 32 to work on my A1200.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello. Which is better? Console emulator for PC or real console (Sony PS1, PS2...)?
That really comes down to your preference.

PS2 games are more convenient to play on a real PS2 whereas PS1 games are practically playable on most modern devices.

And by emulating PS1 via DuckStation you can improve your experience a lot, same goes for PSP's emulator PPSSPP, etc. PPSSPP is awesome and gives you a lot of options from playing with the original graphics to playing it in HD (it makes PSP games look brand new).

This game is an arcade masterpiece, and while it looks great in HD, I prefer the PSP graphics. 😅

Anyway, yeah, you didn't ask me, but here ya go.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For PS1 almost always software emulation unless you're really nostalgic for the 3D polygon wobble of the earliest 3D titles.

For PS2 it depends on the game. If PCSX2 lists it as fully compatible chances are it'll play just fine on PC with little to no issues or quirks. However quite a few titles aren't fully compatible yet and with those it becomes a question of what exactly isn't working yet and how much that bothers you. If it's just a small rendering error in a level or two then it doesn't really matter. If an integral part of the game doesn't work right chances are that's a lot less okay.

Generally anything older than the PS2 emulates near perfectly or genuinely perfectly. The only differences will be small minute things like sound being a little off or colors not quite being perfect. Up to the point where you might not be able to tell them apart unless you see them side by side.
For anything newer usually emulators are less perfect the newer the console is. The complexity of the consoles started to explode with the PS2 and as such they're harder to research for emulation and everything takes longer to implement correctly.
Nintendo consoles are a bit of an exception since they're all fairly simple, the switch for example runs on off the shelf phone parts using a regular arm processor with only a few extra bits and pieces elsewhere, a lot of people are very familiar with that hardware and software and thus emulation is quite far already.

Plashe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Depends on console, if it's 3ds/ds then original hardware because it's a different experience but most other consoles I'd go with emulation, assuming there is no issues, because it's better to just have it all on my computer taking up digital storage rather than having to worry about whatever pain in the ass the specific console needs comes with

overall though unless it's a 3ds/ds i do not care all too much but for some games it might be better to avoid original hardware and emulate if the emulator works well with the game, MGS4 on the ps3 has a lot of framerate that would be fixed by just playing it on an emulator on a powerful enough pc instead of the ps3 but we're a few years off from that happening

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I've got every retro console I enjoy hooked up to nice converters and all cable managed to look pretty. Everdrives and original carts for my favorite games on the Genesis/N64/SNES/GC/etc. I just bought an HDD SATA converter for my PS2 so I could cram as many games as possible onto it.

Yet, when I played SSX Tricky, I just dragged and dropped a backup onto PCSX2 like a savage. Or just played something emulated on my Steam Deck.

I've never been one to care for the "ideal" way to play a game. I find that I spend way too much time setting up the most aesthetically pleasing gaming room, only to just play the game hunched over some emulation device.

Deleted member 681657

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
if it's 3ds/ds then original hardware because it's a different experience
Depends on the game. Some games like The Legends of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass need a touch screen to play properly. Some like Fire Emblem play better with a second screen. Others like New Super Mario Bros. are just fine emulated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto