Hacking Retail SSBB on NTSC-Wii with WiiKey

TerrorVan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I saw so many topics and posts about people asking questions without really giving answers, so I just had to register and post.

I have an NTSC Wii updated to 3.2U with a legitimate copy of SSBB with WiiKey 1.9g installed, and I get the usual disc read error that lots of people are getting.

- I have tried recovering to 1.3 but the disc just vibrates my GameCube controller and does nothing; I reset during this process and my Wii and WiiKey still work fine.
- I've tried running the latest WiiKey update and unplugging it before it finishes (Corruption method) and it didn't corrupt the WiiKey even after several tries.
- I've tried unplugging during a wii update, same thing.

I just can't seem to even force my WiiKey into being corrupt. Is there a proven way to make sure it's my WiiKey and not the laser that's the culprit? Will Nintendo fix the laser even with a modchip?
Is there an easier way to get the WiiKey corrupted? Please note that I lack the experience to remove it; I had my supplier do the install. I even lack a triwing screwdriver to do so. I also do not have a switch installed, although I wish I had one installed now.

Please don't post in this topic if you're just going to ask the same thing I did; I want this topic to be a place where people can answer questions, not flood with more of the same like every other topic.

BvanBart

Gaming addict #2 and some
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Above also has no effect
frown.gif

On/ off switch is the only method that helps
unsure.gif

hasteveha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question. I did the 15% unplug method a while back to play jap brawl on my us wii with wii key 1.9g. I have retail usa brawl but that won't work. I burnt usa brawl on dual layer and it plays fine. It did not ask me to update though. I updated from the internet 3.2u . Is that the same update that is on the disc? Also is there a way after I load up from the burnt version of brawl with my retail version.I try to swap it but it says put orginal disc back in

katsuce

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
TerrorVan said:
I saw so many topics and posts about people asking questions without really giving answers, so I just had to register and post.

I have an NTSC Wii updated to 3.2U with a legitimate copy of SSBB with WiiKey 1.9g installed, and I get the usual disc read error that lots of people are getting.

- I have tried recovering to 1.3 but the disc just vibrates my GameCube controller and does nothing; I reset during this process and my Wii and WiiKey still work fine.
- I've tried running the latest WiiKey update and unplugging it before it finishes (Corruption method) and it didn't corrupt the WiiKey even after several tries.

I just can't seem to even force my WiiKey into being corrupt. Is there a proven way to make sure it's my WiiKey and not the laser that's the culprit? Will Nintendo fix the laser even with a modchip?
Is there an easier way to get the WiiKey corrupted? Please note that I lack the experience to remove it; I had my supplier do the install. I even lack a triwing screwdriver to do so. I also do not have a switch installed, although I wish I had one installed now.

Please don't post in this topic if you're just going to ask the same thing I did; I want this topic to be a place where people can answer questions, not flood with more of the same like every other topic.

1.burn your iso to a dvd5
2. launch the burnt disc
3. when you reach the menus, swap with the legit disc
4. ?????
5. profit

TerrorVan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
katsuce said:
TerrorVan said:

2. launch the burnt disc
4. ?????
5. profit

I'm not sure what iso you're referring to. I don't have an iso of Brawl.

stok3d

Retro Gaming Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
TerrorVan said:

if you are unplugging the power at 70%+ I can't see how it's not being corrupted/deactivated...did you try a backup to make sure or did you use the config disc? just making sure, lol..the reflective layer on brawl retail is as good as it gets. if you have got the wiikey deactivated by now and it's still giving you 'unrecognized' or DRE's i'd follow the advice below....

carefully open your wii it (or get someone who's got experience to do it for you) remove the chip, and send it to nintendo for free repairs. you'll most likely end up with a new drive/laser/lens mechanism and it'll have a longer life anyways. of course nintendo handles each repair differently based on diagnostic and testing results but you can't lose if you send it in. your wii is possibly showing symptoms of incorrect calibration to read dual layer media (more common than you think with launch wiis) or hinting at its impending laser/lens death. sure, single layer games will probably work well for some time to come, but you want to play brawl and any future dual-layer release properly, in all their glory and without the hassle don't you?

the only drawback to this is that if they replace the optical drive, it will most likely be a d2c or 'newer' version and require a newer chip other than the wiikey. it's still a fair exchange, i'd say.

katsuce

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
TerrorVan said:
katsuce said:
TerrorVan said:

ma a copy / download the game
you bought it, you've got the right to do that
2. launch the burnt disc
4. ?????
5. profit

I'm not sure what iso you're referring to. I don't have an iso of Brawl.

make/download an iso

mac26

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same problem you are having. If you want to disable your wiikey update your bios to 1.9b and then upgrade back to 1.9g and pull power at 70%. This should at least disable it enough to check if your drive will play your SSBB. If it does I would recommend getting a switch put in. After doing the above test i figured out it was just the chip and so I went to radio shack, bought a switch, and put it in. SSBB works great!

clazzi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RebelwithAIDS said:
katsuce said:
2. launch the burnt disc
4. ?????
5. profit

I lul'd

i tried swapping when the main logo came up (not menu options). it didn't work. i'll try menu option screen in a bit. care you tell us what 4 is supposed to be? or is that just there for amusement lol. thanks.

wasyed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TerrorVan said:

Hi,
I actually have a retail copy too and my wii isn't modded (yet) and I get disk read errors from the SSBB once in a while itself. I though it was weird, its the first game I ever got errors from and my cousin said the same thing is happening to his wii too. the error message i get is something about disk read error blah blah turn off the wii and eject the game and refer to the manual or something like that. Could it be possible its just a game issue and not an issue with the wiikey you have? I got the error not often... but often enough to take notice. The game also runs a lot louder thn other games i have for some reason.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7