Resident Evil Archives

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by ploggy, Jun 25, 2009.

Jun 25, 2009

Resident Evil Archives by ploggy at 3:04 AM (3,670 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. ploggy
    OP

Member ploggy WAKA! WAKA!

United Kingdom
    I've just tried Resident Evil Archives with USBloader GX and get these crappy black bars down the left and right side of the screen.
    Can anyone else confirm that this is normal?

They are annoying and spoiling my gaming fun [​IMG]

2. yadster

Newcomer yadster Member

United Kingdom
    Same here!!

3. Malc`

Newcomer Malc` Member

United Kingdom
    Other than the black bars, is it any good? I have the remake for my GC and completed it a few times but tempted to get this one for the wii. Does it have onscreen crosshair u can move about with the wii remote or anything?

4. jarock

Member jarock GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    Black bars question once again.
    I think this game is 4.3 and no 16.9 support. You could either adjust your wii to 4.3 if your on 16.9 or stretch the picture with your TV. Try this first and see how ye get on.

5. rustybanana

Member rustybanana GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Sadly it is normal for this game. Playing it on a HDTV makes it look terrible. Capcom have really screwed up with this lazy port. I think they and nintendo must have sacked their QC peeps to save money [​IMG]

6. Col70

Member Col70 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    So disappointed with this port. Black bars. No crosshair. No 'extra' Wiimote control. Will stick to the GC version as it offers just as much, if not more (no black bars!)

7. bytor

Member bytor GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The advantage of this over the Gamecube SKU is that it has 10 different endings giving more replay value. [​IMG]

8. Malc`

Newcomer Malc` Member

United Kingdom
    How many did the original have? 6?

9. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Set your Wii to 4/3, and your TV will stretch it out just like the Gamecube version. No more black bars. Problem solved.

10. imapterodactyl

United States
    The backgrounds are all prerendered. In order to make the game widescreen, Capcom would have to not only rerender, but reDESIGN EVERYthing in the entire game. At that point, it would be more financially feasibly to make a whole new game. If it were all rendered in real-time, I'm sure there would be widescreen support (as in the Metroid and Pikmin ports). With prerendered backgrounds, this becomes exponentially more difficult. Why does nobody understand this?

11. rustybanana

Member rustybanana GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    Where did I say I didnt understand? Dont talk to me like im a child, As I can assure you that im far from that! I was simply pointing out a fact! This is yet more shovelware tat for the wii as far as im concerned, The port went wrong and ends up looking far worse than the original GC version did!

12. pappapishu

Newcomer pappapishu Newbie

Italy
    When you pay solid money for a remake are you not in the right to ask for a GOOD port?

Adding widescreen support sould be chief priority if one is to offer a remake of a game in 2009, don't you think?

We, the customers PAY for Capcom work, they're not doing it FOR FREE... they've gone the easy cash-in path...BIG FAIL!

13. imapterodactyl

United States
    I didn't mean to talk to you like a child, and I apologize for coming across that way. But Capcom put in the bars on PURPOSE, so that those playing on widescreen tvs wouldn't have a stretched out display. If you set your Wii to 4/3, the game looks EXACTLY LIKE the GC version. Not worse in any way, whatsoever.

14. imapterodactyl

United States
    It's a port, not a new game. And because it's prerendered, remaking the game in widescreen would have been FAR more expensive than any other GC port that has been released, period (probably at least 5-10x the cost of Pikmin or Metroid, for example). The fact is, the only profitable option for Capcom was to release the game as-is, or not release it at all. How many people would have paid $50 for a remake of an old GC game? Next to none. It would have been a money pit, and you could almost guarantee Capcom would end up poorer because of it. Rerendering the whole game would have been close to making a whole new game financially. Plus, the original PS1 game was in 4/3 too... the game is a remake, not a whole reimagining. Changing the aspect ratio would have an effect on the gameplay, as well. I like the port. Enough to have bought it, even. If they didn't release it as is, we never would have seen it at all, and the only way to play would have been to buy a GC, a GC controller, a memory card, and a used copy of the game. MUCH more expensive than $29.99, eh? Would you have paid $50 for a port? Probably not. Nor would most. If you already have the GC version (and therefore a gc pad and memory card), then there's no reason to buy the Wii version. Lots of people already DO have the GC release, making the potential purchasing base that much smaller before the game even hits shelves.

Doesn't the pricetag tip off ANYbody? And the wort part of all this is the fact that the vast majority of people I hear bitching about the game didn't even PAY for it!

15. imapterodactyl

United States
    Nope. It's just the GC version with a few more endings, for those who never had the chance to play the original.

16. bytor

Member bytor GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Well said, imapterodactyl. [​IMG]

17. joinx

Newcomer joinx Advanced Member

Mauritius
    any prob with that game like ghostbuster or indy?

18. Col70

Member Col70 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Nope - all normal on the USB front Joinx

Oh - and for my two pence worth - The GC version fills the screen - Why the hell doesn't the Wii version????

19. nando

Member nando GBAtemp Addict

United States

because your GC setting were wrong?

20. imapterodactyl

United States
    Because GC games are automatically stretched since they run purely in 4/3. But Capcom added the black bars on purpose in the Wii version in order to keep the aspect ratio right. If the game sees that you're in 16/9, then you get black bars so that everything won't be stretched and fat. If you set your Wii to standard 4/3 instead of 16/9, then your tv will stretch it to fill the screen just like the GC version.