Resident Evil 7 to be announced at E3, will "go back to horror roots"

resident_evil_4-1152x720.jpg

According to the Japanese analyst Serkan Toto, Resident Evil 7 will be unveiled at E3 this year. He also stated the the series will "go back to [Resident Evil's] horror roots" and will be essentially "a clean slate". After the disappointment of Resident Evil 6, which also claimed to be returning to the series' roots, will Capcom actually be able to make a worthy successor to the older games?

:arrow:Source

rro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
My hope for the new RE series:

- Back to the play style of RE 1, 2, 3.
- No humanoid zombie, one that can think and act like a human. Heck, they aren't even a zombie anymore if they can speak, think, coordinate or something that could only be done by living human.
- More variety of colossal zombies, such like alligator zombie in RE 2, Shark zombie, or even plant type zombie or whatever. While the final boss of previous series can turn into T-REX, but the fact that it was a human that mutated into a dinosaur doesn't fell quite right for me. Seriously, this is a zombie world, not a superhuman world with abilities to shape-shifting or something. Elephant zombie would be challenging to beat i think.
- More puzzle to solve, like in RE 1.

Last edited by rro,

SlimPortable

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RE6 sold millions. Capcom has no reason to go back to some "roots" a few people on Reddit have been crying for. The REmakes have been scratching that itch just fine.

Reactions: Dark Ronin

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
"back to it's roots"
Capcom please don't toy with my feelings...please..

RE6 sold millions. Capcom has no reason to go back to some "roots" a few people on Reddit have been crying for. The REmakes have been scratching that itch just fine.
I love how you assume you're in the majority here, as if RE6 is a beloved and cherished game. It's an utter abomination, it really is. And I'm not saying that just because I adore the old style of RE, I'm saying that because it's a cheesy mess. I recently played it again and me and my friend were literally dying of laughter. It's like a real cheap cheesy B-movie, but it actually thinks it's good. They are blending "horror" with comedy, throwing cheesy one liners after kills and events and it's frankly embarrassing. The gameplay is decent at best, they finally figured out that a controller has 2 sticks and that people have 2 hands. I think all versions of the game, their critic metascores and user scores reflect the general consensus on the game pretty well.

My hope for the new RE series:

- Back to the play style of RE 1, 2, 3.
- No humanoid zombie, one that can think and act like a human. Heck, they aren't even a zombie anymore if they can speak, think, coordinate or something that could only be done by living human.
- More variety of colossal zombies, such like alligator zombie in RE 2, Shark zombie, or even plant type zombie or whatever. While the final boss of previous series can turn into T-REX, but the fact that it was a human that mutated into a dinosaur doesn't fell quite right for me. Seriously, this is a zombie world, not a superhuman world with abilities to shape-shifting or something. Elephant zombie would be challenging to beat i think.
- More puzzle to solve, like in RE 1.
Fully agreee!!

Last edited by Shadowfied,

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
doesnt matter if 100.000 re 1-3 fans didn't like re6, when a few million action game fans liked it a little..

going back to the roots means zombies look more like zombies. thats all.

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
doesnt matter if 100.000 re 1-3 fans didn't like re6, when a few million action game fans liked it a little..

going back to the roots means zombies look more like zombies. thats all.
Stop pulling numbers out of your ass, seriously, haha.
If a game has universal acclaim, I think that's a better achievement. If a game is recognized as pioneering something, rather than being a generic "horror" comedy shooter with both critical and user scores averaging 5-6, that's fucking huge.

Reactions: Silent Hell

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Yup, that's basically what I popped in to say. Not falling for it.
I thought REV2 did go "back to the roots", it was just low-budget since Capcom's finances were in the sh*t. It had a bunch of puzzles, cramped corridors, spooky-booky environments, it was all there, just modernized. I have a weird feeling that the RE fanbase can never be fully satisfied.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Stop pulling numbers out of your ass, seriously, haha.
If a game has universal acclaim, I think that's a better achievement. If a game is recognized as pioneering something, rather than being a generic "horror" comedy shooter with both critical and user scores averaging 5-6, that's fucking huge.

5 sold 7 million
6 sold 6.5

the only game to come close to that is 2 with 6 million sells.
1 didn't sell that much even with 10 remakes.

revelations, much less actiony sold only a million and a bit.

you say critically acclaimed. i say, 5 and 6 old better anyway.
critical acclaim in a niche genre is only worth so much

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If people know the game exists, it's not an announcement. It's a reveal.

But people might want a report on the issue of a broadcast of a communication that aims to disseminate the supposed promulgation within the developer of the resident evil games that the series is once more declaring an attempt to return to their roots, that the position was divulged to the public means that it wants to be made known, though even if that was not the stated reason for banging the drum it might still be something to annunciate. Furthermore seen as there is little happening in both games right now and in the larger sense this current go around for games it made sense to publicise it, though I would say it is probably worth stopping short of emblazoning it all over the site, a la some advertisement, and trumpeting it out to all that might have a vague interest in such a proclamation. What we might intimate from the currently disclosed information is debatable, likely we will have to wait for the full reveal and what might be imparted there. More cynically we might even have to wait for the full release, or publication of reviews as a blast from the press can certain propound notions of the quality of an item.

Anyway I enjoyed 0 through 3, and code veronica. 4 was rightly considered a classic and a direction I was more than happy to see things take. Other spinoffs I have been less enthused by, even the semi online things from the PS2 era. 5 I like as an action game and 6 is a chore I have yet to finish. To that end I am going with I will believe it when I see play it.

Reactions: Shadowfied

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Rye would get shot at sight.