Request for a seperate room for the backup loader

Zantetsu

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ever since the Waninkoko's Wii Backup Loader, many other versions and types of backup loaders have followed it. With these being released, there have been many bugs, questions, and problems posted all around the forum. For us who are interested in seeing homebrew other then the Backup Loader, it's hard to skim through the multiple threads about the Backup Loader.

My request is that we have a subforum here in the Wii - Hacking section specially for the backup loader. There could be many good uses for a Backup Loader room. To name a few...
  • A fresh start on a stickies page allowing a lot of Backup Loader stickies without having to add on to the many stickies we already have in the Wii - Hacking room
  • Other Homebrew threads will be visible in the Wii - Hacking room without having a flood of Backup Loader threads
  • Separate Backup Loader Room moderators
If anyone agrees with my request, feel free to post showing the moderators our support. Thanks for reading and I hope the moderators will be able to take this into suggestion.

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Id be on for that as well - not sure how these forums work , but i know the VBB ones give you the option to only leave people in a certain catagory create a new thread, but everyone can reply to a topic already created - i think this would also help if all the backup stuff had its own spot.

BIG MOE

๔*๖ LORD BIG MOE ™
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
djtaz said:
Id be on for that as well - not sure how these forums work , but i know the VBB ones give you the option to only leave people in a certain catagory create a new thread, but everyone can reply to a topic already created - i think this would also help if all the backup stuff had its own spot.

I agree the control panel does have such an option , and should be done at least for dev purposes .

djdynamite123

Master Of Hardcore!
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.djdynamite.bravehost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
QUOTE said:
Ever since the Waninkoko's Wii Backup Loader, many other versions and types of backup loaders have followed it. With these being released, there have been many bugs, questions, and problems posted all around the forum. For us who are interested in seeing homebrew other then the Backup Loader, it's hard to skim through the multiple threads about the Backup Loader.

My request is that we have a subforum here in the Wii - Hacking section specially for the backup loader. There could be many good uses for a Backup Loader room. To name a few...
A fresh start on a stickies page allowing a lot of Backup Loader stickies without having to add on to the many stickies we already have in the Wii - Hacking room
Other Homebrew threads will be visible in the Wii - Hacking room without having a flood of Backup Loader threads
Separate Backup Loader Room moderators

If anyone agrees with my request, feel free to post showing the moderators our support. Thanks for reading and I hope the moderators will be able to take this into suggestion.

QUOTEI totally agree this would be a great idea as then people that are here for the backuploader only they can go to the subforum without blocking up this one. I also am interested in other homebrew apps like Geexbox and bootmii etc and it would be easier to find the other apps if the backup loader had its own subforum.

I second the motion. Thanks Zantetsu

Thetonman

Totally agree with that, its all we hear about, usually nothing but backup loaders & problems & fixes, would be good if there was a seperate room called Backups or something, as its basicly took control of wii hacking. and there are too many threads over and over about the same old thing.
I'm sure it would make LIFE easier for those interested in backup loading etc.
smile.gif

djtaz

PM's Full - Wadder Me
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Im also sure that if the mods thought it would be too much work - someone else who is involved in the backup loader would volinteer to take change of that section and keep it tidy for them.

Its win win win win

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm all for a sub-section so that it makes room for other none loader threads so that they don't get lost in the crap.

The problem is that like with all sections, people will still post the same questions and what not in this section as well. I'm always moving threads from one section to another due to people not paying attention, dumbness or whatever.

Just not sure if its worth the time and effort but I'll mention it.

djtaz said:
Im also sure that if the mods thought it would be too much work - someone else who is involved in the backup loader would volinteer to take change of that section and keep it tidy for them.

Its win win win win
We need to be able to trust someone to do that and most of those involved in the loaders are pretty new here.

EDIT: Gonna move this to site suggestions.

Cyberxion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've only been here a short time, but I think it'd be a fantastic idea. It might require a bit of attention from the staff to keep it tidy, but then it shouldn't be too difficult, being that everything would be centralized into that one section of the board. It should be easy to manage, and besides, it would clean things up elsewhere.

Go for it.
smile.gif

Hadrian said:
I'm all for a sub-section so that it makes room for other none loader threads so that they don't get lost in the crap.

The problem is that like with all sections, people will still post the same questions and what not in this section as well. I'm always moving threads from one section to another due to people not paying attention, dumbness or whatever.

Just not sure if its worth the time and effort but I'll mention it.
Well then if you're already doing it, it wouldn't require any extra work.
tongue.gif

Really though, you may be able to solve that with an announcement that lets people know where to put their questions. Well maybe that's me being too optomistic. I can't help but think that it's not an insurmountable problem though. You guys ought to be able to manage. You've done well thus-far.
wink.gif

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Announcements are only worthwhile for existing members but most of the crap is from newer members, who won't see the announcement. We could also use stickies but then the "GBAtemp is not 4chan" sticky in the EoF hasn't exactly done much as people don't bother reading them.

I've personally suggested other sub-sections which are kinda like what we have in NDS - Flashing Hardware and Software to also keep the Hardware section clean as well as the Hacking.

This'll all depend on whether its worth it or not or if the higher ups have the time to do it. They've got a huge list of things to do already so its more about what is more important.

Cyberxion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
Announcements are only worthwhile for existing members but most of the crap is from newer members, who won't see the announcement. We could also use stickies but then the "GBAtemp is not 4chan" sticky in the EoF hasn't exactly done much as people don't bother reading them.

I've personally suggested other sub-sections which are kinda like what we have in NDS - Flashing Hardware and Software to also keep the Hardware section clean as well as the Hacking.

This'll all depend on whether its worth it or not or if the higher ups have the time to do it. They've got a huge list of things to do already so its more about what is more important.
Ah, well then...is there some sort of way to force new members to read pertinent information before they can post? It's something I've been looking into over at EP for years, because to my mind there is absolutely no excuse for new members to have not read the rules before posting. I feel that it's rude and presumptuous, especially when they invariably cry foul when you have to call them on something they would have known not to do had they simply done what they ought to have.

But that's just me.
biggrin.gif

Hadrian

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyberxion said:
Ah, well then...is there some sort of way to force new members to read pertinent information before they can post?
When you join the forum you have to write in a box something like "I will not ask or post ROMS" and yet today I suspended two new members for doing just that.

I'd doubt there is anything we can do other than persist in modding the forums and respond to reports.

BurningSpear

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
Cyberxion said:
Ah, well then...is there some sort of way to force new members to read pertinent information before they can post?
When you join the forum you have to write in a box something like "I will not ask or post ROMS" and yet today I suspended two new members for doing just that.

I'd doubt there is anything we can do other than persist in modding the forums and respond to reports.

I've been running another web forum for 10 years now, and I can tell you that these issues / problems come with the territory. It seems the more you box people in with rules and guidelines, the more they push against them to see how far they can go. Some folks just really are too impatient and just don't care about anyone but themselves.

As stated above, the best you can do is to moderate by the site guidelines and respond to abuse reports.

It's a thankless job, but I think y'all are doing just fine with what you got.

Cyberxion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't disagree. It is largely a thankless job, and really, there's nothing for it but to do what you can per the site's guidelines. So really, I sort of think that any trouble that might arise from creating a separate section for the backup loader would be part of the territory. It wouldn't introduce new problems. It would just be another section to moderate. So why not do it?

I don't know if I'm making sense. I just quit smoking recently, and I'm not adjusting well.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Hadrian said:
Cyberxion said:

Really?
wtf.gif
I didn't remember I have to write something like that

Why not try not permitiing users to post something with specific words on the title? like when the word "dump" and "yet" is present at the same time, they can't post

the problem lies on those ignorants, not mods, I'm sure

Ah, and before I leave thanks for maintaining GBATemp!
smile.gif

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Good idea.

I'm all for a "Loaders" sub-section.

Loader releases would be stickied, and all the "halp me plz loader nut wurkin'" threads would go there, leaving the poor "Wii - Hacking" section alone
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: @Xdqwerty, about to