Replacement for the little black ribbon clamp?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Brian117, Feb 2, 2009.

Feb 2, 2009
  1. Brian117
    OP

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Not much to go into for this story.

But, while trying to fix a faulty DS I had, because I really want to sell it, I ran into a problem.

I tried flipping the DS circuit board over to clean the touch screen, all the edges of it etc,

And I flip it back, and halfway on the flip, I see the the black clamp is open...and so the tiny ribbon fell right out.

My heart stopped and I cussed a little. Because those ribbons are impossible, highly impossible to repair without spending $50.

I am in need of some suggestions that I could use to replace that clamp so the ribbon will be securely in place.

Thought I would try my luck here.

Thanks in advanced tempers!

2. Kittymat

Member Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    eBay UK has someone selling them. However I usually superglue it to the board in the right place - then solder, I favoue the wide bit and do all pins at the same time.

I take it you were talking about the touchscreen connector!

3. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    Is the clamp actually broken or has it just come open? Refer to the Instructables repair guide, there's an explaination of how the clamp works so you can try locking it again.

4. Brian117
    OP

United States
    ^

The clamp came off the whole connector.

So the ribbon is just hanging there with no support.

Could you take some images of your work? With the superglue and stuff. I need to see what you're talking about. [​IMG], I will also check out eBay. Thanks for the information.

5. Kittymat

Member Kittymat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Sorry I did the work for someone else so have no pics, the part is tiny (reeeeaaalllly tiny) I removed the old connector off the board - used a large bit soldering iron and basically had to melt it off the board (easier to do if you remove the wifi unit) cleaned the tracks on the board by putting on new solder and removing it with desoldering wick. Put the connector onto the ribbon of the touchscreen and close it so its clamped (much easier to handle - better still if you have an old touchscreen cut off the ribbon and use this) put a tiny spot of superglue on the connecter and fit it to the board in the right spot (yes it is hard but can be done) with the connector stuck in the right place you have to solder the 4 pins, I used a solder tip like a bladed screwdriver - slightly wider than the 4 pins together, then put on with solder and dragged off, luckily all 4 pins were soldered at the same time, I used a fine point tip to break the bridge between two of the pins. Once tested and it worked I added a little more glue to each side of the connector to help keep it in place.

Like I said it is not the easiest thing to do - but you have nothing to loose by having a go

6. Brian117
    OP

United States
    Wow o.o;

Very challenging.

I will probably have to show my dad this, as he's the one that's going to help me fix it.

Thanks for taking the time to type that all out to me. [​IMG]

7. Jran Sakarra

Member Jran Sakarra GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well good luck to you.
    I had the same prob with DS and it was hard to find a replament and fix it,

8. Brian117
    OP

United States
    Thanks!

But me and my dad officially decided.

I'm just going to send it in [​IMG]

It's easier to just do that, than to unsolder, solder, glue, etc.