Windi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hello!

A few days ago I found my old original Nintendo DS (the fat one). Sadly, a few years ago its bottom display was broken. Therefore, I decided to order a new display and switch them.
I followed this IFIXIT guide. During the Repair, at step 8, i accidently destroyed the lock for the ribbon cable.

This is a screenshot of the IFIXIT guide, I marked the black lock:
1657269003319.png

This is how it looks like for me after I broke the lock (only the upper one for the digitzer, the lower this works):

Destroyed Lock 1.jpg

The new display works, except for the digitizer, as I currently have trouble inserting the ribbon cable und keeping it in place.

Now I am trying to find a new lock to replace the brocken one, as I cannot properly install the ribbon cable for the digitizer anymore.
However, I had problems finding the correct replacement part.
So far, I found the following listings one Aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32546154260.html and https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33027040404.html
However, these do not seem to be the parts I am looking for.

Worst case I was planning to glue the cable into place, but that is my very last resort.

I was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction. Thank you very much!

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
95% of the time a breakage like this has parts replaced (assuming they are replaced but more on that shortly) from a board otherwise deemed beyond economical repair, and plastic stuff like this is a nightmare to remove and reuse.

It probably is to some kind of standard spec, or was a standard spec back in 2004... wow I am old, but ordering a handful (likely to be more in shipping, also get multiple in case you sneeze or melt one) is going to be tricky from otherwise even fantastic vendors and if they have any then it will tend to be matching for other things they sell (screens, sensors, inputs...).

In this case is it not possible to slice up some old plastic packaging for something (bound to have something about the right thickness and insert that to use as a spacer/hold down? It does not work so well with the 30+ pin connectors but a 4-5 pin thing should be fine.

Windi

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In this case is it not possible to slice up some old plastic packaging for something (bound to have something about the right thickness and insert that to use as a spacer/hold down? It does not work so well with the 30+ pin connectors but a 4-5 pin thing should be fine.
Thanks for your reply, that is probably the way to go. I will try some stuff and will post the results.
I was hoping to find the exact same piece somewhere, but as you said, this plastic stuff is pretty hard to fit in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Pepsi owns Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut, so that made since Pizza hut pizza was sold in Taco bells.