Repartitioning 500GB HD

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by nunski, Dec 8, 2009.

Dec 8, 2009

Repartitioning 500GB HD by nunski at 3:55 PM (1,673 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. nunski
    OP

Newcomer nunski Newbie

Canada
    Hi All,

I have 500GB hard drive and all of it is formatted with WBFS. After backing up my 14 games, I only have 20GB used out of 500GB.

Is there a way to re-partition the 500GB so that 100GB are for Wii games, and 400GB as FAT32 to load up with movies (to play with mplayer_ce 0.76)?

2. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Easiest way I can think of is to take your games off the WBFS drive temporary, format the drive and partition to your liking that way. Allocate your 400GB for FAT32, and then you can format the remainder to WBFS.

3. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    U can do it through windows using the FDISK commands, or just use swissknife V3 like I just did.

Remove yours games first then re-partition.

I just partitioned a 320 to have 4gb FAT32 partiton for USB:/apps folders and 298gb for WBFS games.

Set the first FAT32 partition to active and format the second partition with a WBFS manager.

Takes seconds.

I then installed usbloadergx forwarder channel from troy the zombies pages and its all in one for apps and games.

4. nunski
    OP

Newcomer nunski Newbie

Canada
    KiiWii, what do you use the 4GB FAT32 partition for? (what do you put under /apps)?

5. bnm81002

Member bnm81002 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    what can I do or use to change my 500GB drive to all of FAT32 partition from WBFS?

6. unr007d

Newcomer unr007d Member

United States
    use a partitioning tool like partition magic or similar and make the partition smaller and format the other part to whatever fat32 or ntfs...whatever

7. ultimatt42

Newcomer ultimatt42 Member

United States
    Partition magic won't work properly on WBFS, it'll just treat it like an unformatted partition.

8. EeZeEpEe

Member EeZeEpEe GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Why not just switch the whole drive to FAT32 and not worry about partitions or having too much or too little unused space? Transfer all 14 games to your computer (20 GB isn't too much), format the 500 GB to FAT32, and use wbfs_file_1.9 or Simple WBFS File Manager 2.5 to convert your .ISO to .WBFS files. It doesn't take long to convert at all. It's basically length of time it takes to transfer files from your computer to your external.

9. KiiWii

Member KiiWii GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    @Nunski: 4gb is a "just in case" partition. At the moment I've modded a black Wii (D3-2 drive) for a friend, and have just Mplayer and neogamma under usb:/apps (couldnt get neogamma to save/load config via usb on the usb:/NeoGamma folder (?) ).

The guy I modded it for just wants to have a simple child proof solution, without the need for SD cards and needing to bring me back the wii for every update. Hence the forwarders and the small partition.

He rarely downloads anything, so 4gb will be plenty for him to whack a movie onto should he want to.

Your solution is the same principle, just different size partitions for your needs.

10. KirovAir

Member KirovAir Dutch Alcoholic Programmer

Netherlands
    FAT32 has a 200GB size limit if I'm nor mistaken.

11. EeZeEpEe

United States
    FAT32
    I don't know where you got that number but file size limit is 4 GB and volume size can be 2 TB, 8 TB, or 16 TB depending on clusters.

12. Elritha

Canada
    Windows itself limits you formatting FAT32 to a certain size. However you can simply use a third party tool to get around this. I would love if the Wii in the future supported NTFS or exFAT, as FAT32 is so inefficient with a large cluster size.

13. nunski
    OP

Newcomer nunski Newbie

Canada
    Thanks to all who replied.

To clarify, the 20GB (wbfs) that I used up in the external HD, will equal close to 100GB in the PC harddrive...

I will be transferring all the games out, then repartitioning 100GB/400GB. Making both partitions "Active". 100GB as WBFS, and 400GB as FAT32.

Thx again.

14. RC89

Member RC89 GBAtemp Regular

Denmark
    FAT32 has a file limit at 4GB so if you wan't to backup your iso games on it then its a stupid idea, i'd go for NTFS file system.

15. Elritha

Canada
    I believe you can split the files, for those few WBFS games that would be over 4GB in size.

16. nunski
    OP

Newcomer nunski Newbie

Canada
    I haven't come across any game that is over 4GB when you transfer it to wbfs.. which ones do you know of?

Also, how do you split the files in those games?

17. Elritha

Canada
    I haven't tried it myself, though I've noticed this tool has the option.

Smash Bros. Brawl would be larger then 4GB. I'm not sure if there are others to date.

18. EeZeEpEe

United States
    That tool and the ones I mentioned in the last page all automatically split files if needed. You can also go back to .ISO if you need to burn the game. SSBB and Metroid Prime Trilogy are definitely split files because they're dual layer discs. The games I have that are big enough to split are Pro Evolution Soccer 2009, Okami, and Dead Space Extraction.