nunski

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi All,

I have 500GB hard drive and all of it is formatted with WBFS. After backing up my 14 games, I only have 20GB used out of 500GB.

Is there a way to re-partition the 500GB so that 100GB are for Wii games, and 400GB as FAT32 to load up with movies (to play with mplayer_ce 0.76)?

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Easiest way I can think of is to take your games off the WBFS drive temporary, format the drive and partition to your liking that way. Allocate your 400GB for FAT32, and then you can format the remainder to WBFS.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
nunski said:
Is there a way to re-partition the 500GB so that 100GB are for Wii games, and 400GB as FAT32 to load up with movies (to play with mplayer_ce 0.76)?

U can do it through windows using the FDISK commands, or just use swissknife V3 like I just did.

Remove yours games first then re-partition.

I just partitioned a 320 to have 4gb FAT32 partiton for USB:/apps folders and 298gb for WBFS games.

Set the first FAT32 partition to active and format the second partition with a WBFS manager.

Takes seconds.

I then installed usbloadergx forwarder channel from troy the zombies pages and its all in one for apps and games.

unr007d

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
use a partitioning tool like partition magic or similar and make the partition smaller and format the other part to whatever fat32 or ntfs...whatever

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Why not just switch the whole drive to FAT32 and not worry about partitions or having too much or too little unused space? Transfer all 14 games to your computer (20 GB isn't too much), format the 500 GB to FAT32, and use wbfs_file_1.9 or Simple WBFS File Manager 2.5 to convert your .ISO to .WBFS files. It doesn't take long to convert at all. It's basically length of time it takes to transfer files from your computer to your external.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Nunski: 4gb is a "just in case" partition. At the moment I've modded a black Wii (D3-2 drive) for a friend, and have just Mplayer and neogamma under usb:/apps (couldnt get neogamma to save/load config via usb on the usb:/NeoGamma folder (?) ).

The guy I modded it for just wants to have a simple child proof solution, without the need for SD cards and needing to bring me back the wii for every update. Hence the forwarders and the small partition.

He rarely downloads anything, so 4gb will be plenty for him to whack a movie onto should he want to.

Your solution is the same principle, just different size partitions for your needs.

KirovAir

Alcoholic Programmer
Trophies
Website
www.jessesander.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
EeZeEpEe said:
Why not just switch the whole drive to FAT32 and not worry about partitions or having too much or too little unused space? Transfer all 14 games to your computer (20 GB isn't too much), format the 500 GB to FAT32, and use wbfs_file_1.9 or Simple WBFS File Manager 2.5 to convert your .ISO to .WBFS files. It doesn't take long to convert at all. It's basically length of time it takes to transfer files from your computer to your external.

FAT32 has a 200GB size limit if I'm nor mistaken.

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Darkmystery said:
EeZeEpEe said:

FAT32 has a 200GB size limit if I'm nor mistaken.
FAT32
I don't know where you got that number but file size limit is 4 GB and volume size can be 2 TB, 8 TB, or 16 TB depending on clusters.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Windows itself limits you formatting FAT32 to a certain size. However you can simply use a third party tool to get around this. I would love if the Wii in the future supported NTFS or exFAT, as FAT32 is so inefficient with a large cluster size.

nunski

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks to all who replied.

To clarify, the 20GB (wbfs) that I used up in the external HD, will equal close to 100GB in the PC harddrive...

I will be transferring all the games out, then repartitioning 100GB/400GB. Making both partitions "Active". 100GB as WBFS, and 400GB as FAT32.

Thx again.

RC89

Trophies
XP
Country
FAT32 has a file limit at 4GB so if you wan't to backup your iso games on it then its a stupid idea, i'd go for NTFS file system.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
RC89 said:
FAT32 has a file limit at 4GB so if you wan't to backup your iso games on it then its a stupid idea, i'd go for NTFS file system.
I believe you can split the files, for those few WBFS games that would be over 4GB in size.

nunski

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I haven't come across any game that is over 4GB when you transfer it to wbfs.. which ones do you know of?

Also, how do you split the files in those games?

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
nunski said:
I haven't come across any game that is over 4GB when you transfer it to wbfs.. which ones do you know of?

I haven't tried it myself, though I've noticed this tool has the option.

Smash Bros. Brawl would be larger then 4GB. I'm not sure if there are others to date.

EeZeEpEe

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Edhel said:
nunski said:

I haven't tried it myself, though I've noticed this tool has the option.

Smash Bros. Brawl would be larger then 4GB. I'm not sure if there are others to date.
That tool and the ones I mentioned in the last page all automatically split files if needed. You can also go back to .ISO if you need to burn the game. SSBB and Metroid Prime Trilogy are definitely split files because they're dual layer discs. The games I have that are big enough to split are Pro Evolution Soccer 2009, Okami, and Dead Space Extraction.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • A @ anotherthing:
    Online was free on the 3DS as well, and it worked well.
    +1
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    I can't help but think nintendo switch online is the reason we did not get a gameboy/n64/gamecube
    mini classic edition
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @salazarcosplay, i think it would have been impossible to see anything in a gameboy mini
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    well I meant that as a figure of speech
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    they could just rerelease a modern gameboy
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    like the pocket analogue
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    but nintendo licensed
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Aeiou backwards