Hardware Repair Issues

Awesomekid956000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So long story short, I got my hands on a new nintendo 3ds. However there is one thing that bugs me about it, it's not the scratches, not the dents, but the fact that the thumb pads rubber. I would send it into nintendo, but its been homebrewed and I'm afraid if I send it up there. Its gonna get investigated, and their gonna find all the juicy secrets on it like homebrew, and the 30 pirated games i put onto it. I'm also afraid there gonna not do anything to it (wasting the cost it took to ship the console) or there gonna hold the ds with them all together (losing the ds outright). I cant exactly send it in without the sd card either or else it wont turn on. I would do manual repair and im familiar with the insides of a 3ds, but ive had terrible experiences with it, mainly with me accidently ripping the ribbon cords. I dont wanna do that with this ds,

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, Nintendo doesn't want your SD card if you send this with your 3DS. They'll send everything back without repairing anything if you don't follow their instructions to ship only the 3DS. This is to prevent being accused of losing your personal data.

You have two options in fixing your circle pad.

Proper Method
  1. Buy a replace circle pad thumb cap. Probably order one of each to eliminate guessing.
  2. Take apart the 3DS and replace the cap using the ifixit guides.

Ghetto Bobo Method
  1. Buy a replace circle pad thumb cap.
  2. Remove the rubber sleeve with a hair dryer, small flathead screwdriver, needle, etc.
    • Pick it at from the underside of the edge.
    • Use your thumb to rub, loosen, and pull back the rubber.
    • If you can get in between the underside, use some Goo Gone to soften the adhesive.
  3. Clean the bad circle pad and the removed rubber piece free of oil.
    • Rubbing alcohol is your friend.
  4. Apply a thin layer of rubber cement on the exposed plastic concave surface of the thumb groove.
    • Better not mess up spilling glue on the 3DS.
    • You can minimize mess by taping around the circle pad area. Use only a single layer of wide roll clear tape.
  5. Press and hold in place the rubber skin onto the glue covered circle pad while it dries.
    • You thumb has to be free of glue, or it will smear the rubber.
    • Try not to get high breathing those fumes.
    • If excess glue squeezes out, don't touch it. Let the glue fully cure and dry first. Remove excess with a razor or X-acto knife.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

Awesomekid956000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Then I guess ill send it in to nintendo if they arnt gonna check anything, but they still need to turn it on somehow, without boot9strap I think, the ds just lights up and dies. How are they gonna test it, they could just think its even more broken. At this point I guess I should just do it myself. As long as im careful, i should be alright with a tutorial.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up