repair install on windows xp

Shelleeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
well i am not talking about downloading a copy of xp via any source
neither am i asking about anywhere i can get a dodgy copy of xp so please don't lock the topic

i need to get a copy of windows xp. i have a legit copy that came with the pc already intergrated. although it came with a disk (from the factory it's not the right sort of disc)
is it possible to get it via a cd from microsoft or anything like that?
i need to do a repair install on my windows xp because the sound hasn't worked for over a year
before any sarcasm starts i've gone out and purchased a new sound card after the problem started to rule that out and i couldn't get that to work. i've removed and reinstalled relevant software/drivers to try to get the thing to work again but it just won't work.
the repair install is what would be done if i took the pc into a shop but they are trying to charge me £35 to get this done when i can't see where they would be doing any work.
or is there another way to do a repair install from the drive it's on
wacko.gif

thanks for any information or ideas

Fragout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The disc that came with your computer should be the recovery disc, isn't it better to do the recovery rather than reinstall XP on top of a dodgy XP?
One problem could lead to another. Do you believe/trust Microsoft that much?

You should help yourself, do a recovery or a clean install, that'll give you more time to play.
yaynds.gif

Shelleeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@ notnarb i don't know anyone who has a pc never mind have a legit disc
laugh.gif

i don't want to do a fresh install i have way too much to have to back up and a repair install is the only way to get this done.
it's just a simple job of replacing the missing system files with the repair install .
smile.gif

i'm 99% certain it can't be done from the hard drive
dry.gif

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Have you tried this it sorted my sound problems.
Try This
1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Entertainment, and then click Volume Control.
2. In Volume Control, on the Options menu, click Advanced Controls.
3. Click Advanced Options on the Play Control dialog box.
4. Click to clear the Digital Output Only check box, and then click Close.

If not could you tell me what the new sound card is you have and the driver version you have installed i am sure we can fix this with out reinstalling windows.

Listed below are some basic steps to help restore sound to your computer. This troubleshooting guide assumes that your computer has no sound at all.

2. If you added hardware or software to your computer immediately before the issue started, remove the added hardware or software. Be sure to turn off the computer before removing hardware. As with any problem that arises with computers, reversing a process that started a problem may correct the problem.
3. Be sure to check the obvious:

* Are the speakers turned on and have power?
* Try unplugging the speaker power adapter and keep it disconnected for 30 seconds or so, then plug it back in.
* Try plugging a known working item (such as a lamp) to check the wall outlet for power.

4. Check to insure that the Mixer Control volumes are set to 3/4 volume and are not muted. Analog or digital can be set in the Mixer Controls, depending on the type of sound card and speakers used.
5. Make sure that all connections to all speakers are fully seated. Usually, these plugs click twice before the fully seat.
6. Try plugging in a known working set of head phones to ensure that the sound card is functioning.
7. Try plugging in the speakers to a known working portable CD player that will accept the same connection. This will determine if the speakers are working.
8. Go to: Start>> Control Panel>> Administrative Tools>> Component Services>> Services. Make sure audio is enabled.
9. Go to: Start>> Control Panel>> Administrative Tools>> Services>> Windows Audio. Make sure "Windows Media" service is running. If it's not, right click on this service and select "Start".
10. Go to: Start>> Control Panel>> Sounds and Audio Device Properties. Be sure that the "Mute" checkbox is unchecked.

Fragout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, If you're suspecting modified system files, I guess we could try scanning using that funky Microsoft program called "Windows File Protection".
But that thing will only work with a Windows disc from my experience, but you could try running it using that disc of your, see if you're lucky or not.
smile.gif

Do this, Start ---> Run, type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes).

It'll ask for a Windows disc, but try putting in yours and see what happens
SFC means System File Checker.

Your disc ain't a windows disc, you couldn't possibly run an installing or something, but this should be a best bet trying to "repair" system files, if only it would use the files of the disc that you got.

Cheers~!

Shelleeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you tried this it sorted my sound problems.
Try This
1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Entertainment, and then click Volume Control.
2. In Volume Control, on the Options menu, click Advanced Controls.
3. Click Advanced Options on the Play Control dialog box.
4. Click to clear the Digital Output Only check box, and then click Close.

If not could you tell me what the new sound card is you have and the driver version you have installed i am sure we can fix this with out reinstalling windows.
bow.gif
wow this is going to take a while to answer
oh lol hahahahaha i just did this and the computer threw up a boxwhich said
there are no active mixer devices available. to install mixer devices, go to control panel, click printers and other hardware, and then click add hardware
this programme will now close

i forgot because i was messing in the bios when my computer was shutting down for no reason (i sorted all that without need for outside help) i disabled the option for my ac97 so to asses this issue properly i will need to enable (via reboot) so i will have to edit this message to go through all the steps you've kindly provided
i do remember though that i did quite a few things to the controls to try and sort out the problem AND the volume doesn't show up in control panel>sound and audio devices the volume button is grey................................. but i'll finish this in a while

edit
right i went back into sound devices just to verify what i was thinking and it will show up that i have a realtek ac97 for sound recording devices but the sound playback is grey'd out(in the audio tab) same thing in the voice tab too when i click on the hardware tab the ac97 shows up there after my dvd drives
blink.gif
but it is there
i know that it's sharing devices from the last time i tried to get this sorted out
driver date - 25/01/07 driver version - 5. 10. 0. 6220.
QUOTE said:
2. If you added hardware or software to your computer immediately before the issue started, remove the added hardware or software. Be sure to turn off the computer before removing hardware. As with any problem that arises with computers, reversing a process that started a problem may correct the problem.
 3. Be sure to check the obvious:Â

* Are the speakers turned on and have power?Â
  * Try unplugging the speaker power adapter and keep it disconnected for 30 seconds or so, then plug it back in.
  * Try plugging a known working item (such as a lamp) to check the wall outlet for power.

Â

it's onboard sound so i can't uninstall it
wacko.gif

i replugged everything in because it's been left unplugged for months and you can here the woofer click when it's switched off or on
i've plugged in my headphones like i've done before and they don't work
when i try to play through windows media player it throughs up an error about missing codecs
rolleyes.gif
(suprising how much of this crap i remember)
QUOTE4. Check to insure that the Mixer Control volumes are set to 3/4 volume and are not muted. Analog or digital can be set in the Mixer Controls, depending on the type of sound card and speakers used.
 5. Make sure that all connections to all speakers are fully seated. Usually, these plugs click twice before the fully seat.
 6. Try plugging in a known working set of head phones to ensure that the sound card is functioning.
 7. Try plugging in the speakers to a known working portable CD player that will accept the same connection. This will determine if the speakers are working.
 8. Go to: Start>> Control Panel>> Administrative Tools>> Component Services>> Services. Make sure audio is enabled.
 9. Go to: Start>> Control Panel>> Administrative Tools>> Services>> Windows Audio. Make sure "Windows Media" service is running. If it's not, right click on this service and select "Start".
 10. Go to: Start>> Control Panel>> Sounds and Audio Device Properties. Be sure that the "Mute" checkbox is unchecked.
on the mixer i'm not sure which of the things are supposed to be ticked in properties but some of the things are grey'd out there too
the speakers are fine they were near new before all this happened
i already tried the headphones before i saw this but they won't work
audio isn't on the list of services in component services
windows audio i started
i know when i looked in hardware>device manager in system properties i've got quite a few things missing from the list that used to be there realtek is the only thing listed
as for mute i couldn't click on that if i wanted to it's the thing that's grey'd out
mad.gif

did i miss anything
laugh.gif

Shelleeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, If you're suspecting modified system files, I guess we could try scanning using that funky Microsoft program called "Windows File Protection".
But that thing will only work with a Windows disc from my experience, but you could try running it using that disc of your, see if you're lucky or not.
smile.gif

Do this, Start ---> Run, type "sfc /scannow" (without the quotes).

It'll ask for a Windows disc, but try putting in yours and see what happens
SFC means System File Checker.

Your disc ain't a windows disc, you couldn't possibly run an installing or something, but this should be a best bet trying to "repair" system files, if only it would use the files of the disc that you got.

Cheers~!
yes believe it or not i knew about this and the disc i have is nothing to do with windows it's just some sort of "help find the files on your drive" crappy disc i've already rebooted and looked into this but thank you for your effort anyway it's greatly appreciated
cool.gif

yes it does ask for thw windows xp home edition disk and this was another reason why i needed xp via disk.
frown.gif

Fragout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
As mentioned earlier in this article, the Windows File Protection service constantly monitors for any changes to the main system files. Well Windows XP keeps a cache (copy) of these essential files at the following location:

C:WINDOWS\System32\Dllcache (assuming C: is your system root which it probably is.)

NB - The dllcache folder is extremely important so Windows XP hides it from you! To view it go to: My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > "uncheck" Hide protected operating system files.

If that's the case on your computer then there is normally no need for the original XP CD to be inserted as your computer has a "copy" it can get hold of in this cache...

But, if the Dllcache folder, or part of it, has become corrupted for some reason then you will be prompted for the XP CD - so your computer can get a clean copy!

Having said that not ALL installations of Windows XP have ALL the system files cached into this folder! You may only have around 50MB of files in this folder under Windows XP depending on the quota settings in the registry. (Under Windows 2003 Server the default is 300MB of system files!)

Annoying, YES!Â

Is there a workaround YES!

As well as having a cache of all the system files on your PC, I like to have the I386 folder from the XP CD installed on the computer as well. After doing this I then modify the registry to tell it the source path for these files... Why? Well not only does this prevent 99% of request for the the XP CD with Windows File Protection. But the I386 folder also contains many other files that are sometimes needed by the operating system and this stops those requests for the XP CD too!

Sauce

I just discover that sfc /scannow have workaround withouth the disc, and to remind, try looking for a i386 folder in your computer.

There's a few more workarounds.... if u google it~
yaynds.gif

Shelleeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
As mentioned earlier in this article, the Windows File Protection service constantly monitors for any changes to the main system files. Well Windows XP keeps a cache (copy) of these essential files at the following location:

C:WINDOWS\System32\Dllcache  (assuming C: is your system root which it probably is.)

NB - The dllcache folder is extremely important so Windows XP hides it from you! To view it go to: My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > View > "uncheck" Hide protected operating system files.

If that's the case on your computer then there is normally no need for the original XP CD to be inserted as your computer has a "copy" it can get hold of in this cache...

But, if the Dllcache folder, or part of it, has become corrupted for some reason then you will be prompted for the XP CD - so your computer can get a clean copy!

Having said that not ALL installations of Windows XP have ALL the system files cached into this folder! You may only have around 50MB of files in this folder under Windows XP depending on the quota settings in the registry. (Under Windows 2003 Server the default is 300MB of system files!)

Annoying, YES! 

Is there a workaround YES!

As well as having a cache of all the system files on your PC, I like to have the I386 folder from the XP CD installed on the computer as well. After doing this I then modify the registry to tell it the source path for these files... Why? Well not only does this prevent 99% of request for the the XP CD with Windows File Protection. But the I386 folder also contains many other files that are sometimes needed by the operating system and this stops those requests for the XP CD too!

Sauce

I just discover that sfc /scannow have workaround withouth the disc, and to remind, try looking for a i386 folder in your computer.

There's a few more workarounds.... if u google it~
yaynds.gif
i can always see my hidden folders
wink.gif

trust me i have spent more time than enough googling to get this crap fixed, most people know i would rather die than ask for help when it comes to posting info about my pc
rofl2.gif
**this is me dying""
laugh.gif

you are dead right it's the DLL cache that comes up (if this is any help) when it's asking for the disk
wtf.gif
i'm not sure what exactly it wanted from the disk until now
the total size of my i386 folder is 568mb if this helps
before i screw this up i'm going to back the reg up
laugh.gif

Shelleeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/142731
i might have found the issue
when i try to add windows components from the add or remove programmes section at no point is there a multimedia or Sounds and multimedia
laugh.gif

erm oops how the feck did that happen
shy.gif
tongue.gif
and how the living hell do i repair that from my i386
also if i try to test my hardware in dxdiag i get errors 0x80070057
wacko.gif

omfg i can get it to play midi files though
tongue.gif
although it's crackling and skips a little like a bad record LMAO
rofl2.gif

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shelleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeson

well if you can still boot in, I'd suggest backing it up with ghost first then formatting and reinstalling XP.. that way you'll have a clean copy on there. then u can reinstall all the drivers and have a good working system.

Shelleeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
mad.gif
don't want
wink.gif
laugh.gif

i'm putting my foot down and refusing to reformat the bloody thing when all i'm missing is the sound
rofl2.gif

oh hell i get to have my expensive pc sound like a fecking casio keyboard too
rofl2.gif
rofl2.gif

Fragout

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I posted last was, SFC could scan using the i386 folder in your computer. You need to do some registry modifying to make it run like that.

I mean googling the steps to modify the registry to point sfc to run files using the i386 folder on your computer.
smile.gif

Shelleeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What I posted last was, SFC could scan using the i386 folder in your computer. You need to do some registry modifying to make it run like that.

I mean googling the steps to modify the registry to point sfc to run files using the i386 folder on your computer.
smile.gif
i did that but all i still have is midi sound
frown.gif
nothing else

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Back in the day there were ways around this problem. Usually, when you buy a computer with the OEM XP on it, they'll have a smaller partition of the HDD setup for backup, which you can load at startup and use it like a CD, which should also have the recovery option on there. Or they would bundle everything into a single i386 folder that would allow you to simply go in and extract what you need. If you locate the CAB files with the necessary files, you can use MSCONFIG to expand the files correctly (DO NOT USE ANY DECOMPRESSION PROGRAMS).

Are you sure this is not just a driver issue or at most you need to dust out your computer?...Honestly, you should have to go through this much unless you were simply toying with the system itself.

Shelleeson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Are you sure this is not just a driver issue or at most you need to dust out your computer?...Honestly, you should have to go through this much unless you were simply toying with the system itself.
really and truly i'm not that thick when it comes to computers
yes i have tried around a half dozen times (even yesteday) to install the relevant drivers for my sound card i'm almost certain it's something else in windows that's missing because in
i took my pc apart about 3 weeks ago and "dusted" it
toying? well i've never said that it wasn't me who may have removed something i just don't know what or how i should get it back
rolleyes.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-