Removing FrameRate Caps on New3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by HaloBenish, Aug 1, 2016.

1. HaloBenish
    OP

HaloBenish GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2008
    Canada
    Anyone know if there is a plugin for NTRCFW or something that allows Super Mario 3D Land, Ridge Racer 3D, or any other games to have their framerate cap removed on a New 3DS? I already use NTRCFW to re-enable the New3DS improved hardware but for many games there is a hardcoded 30FPS cap even though the New3DS hardware could probably hit a near constant-60FPS.

2. DutchyDutch

DutchyDutch COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL

Nov 16, 2014
    Netherlands
    I believe that if you would up the fps cap of those games, the physics would get all messed up.

SirBeethoven likes this.
  3. HaloBenish
    OP

HaloBenish GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2008
    Canada
    It all depends on how each particular game is made I'd assume, I suspect Mario 3D Land is made in a way that would allow removing the 30FPS frame rate cap without the game breaking but I dunno

4. GilgameshArcher

GilgameshArcher GBAtemp Fan

Jul 1, 2012
    Brazil
    São Paulo
    The RNG could also suffer, since some are based on frames.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  5. HaloBenish
    OP

HaloBenish GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2008
    Canada
    Anyone actually know how to try this for some games and see if it works out for any?

6. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    I think something similar to gecko codes would make it possible, but a lot of games depend on a locked frame rate. Also, a solid fps is actually much better than a variable frame rate. I like the FPS being a locked 30 on MHG over a variable 35-60 that MH4U had. It just looks smoother, especially since it has decent frame times when locked, giving the illusion of a higher fps anyway. I'm not saying it's impossible, but probably not advisable.

7. HaloBenish
    OP

HaloBenish GBAtemp Fan

Feb 1, 2008
    Canada
    Yeee I just mean Super Mario 3D Land is already locked 30FPS on old 3DS there's a possibility the New3DS is capable of running it locked 60FPS

ashinnblunts likes this.
  8. mutinize

mutinize dazed and confused

Jan 17, 2014
    United States
    You realize console only devs would waste a huge amount of time and resources coding a game to work with an unlocked framerate but needlessly locking it to 30, right?

Tying the framerate to the game engine is most likely what they did for all of their games. If they were multi plat then maybe things would be different.

9. Thelostrune

Thelostrune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 13, 2015
    Norway
    That would be a rookie developer mistake to tie physics to the fps. Then again, I guess there are some that do that.

10. ll0rT

ll0rT GBAtemp Regular

Dec 15, 2014
    Generally all moving things in a fps locked game depends on frame rather than real time. So even if you manage to raise the fps from 30 to 60, everything in the game would be twice as faster.

Feeling it! likes this.
  11. Feeling it!

Feeling it! Pure Logical Feels.

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    Running.
    I can back this up since shiny quagsire made a video of sm4sh at 240fps and it ends the match in 3 seconds from the cpu 0 to death-ing you.

N7Kopper likes this.
  12. N7Kopper

N7Kopper Proud lover of a three-inch girlfriend

Aug 24, 2014
    It's only a mistake for multiplatform releases with different frame rate locks. Mass Effect 3, for example, tied the (actually rather impressive) AI logic to the frame rate, making it lose it's lustre on platforms frame locked to 60 FPS, as opposed to the 30 it was designed for. Since the game is on 360, PC, PS3, and Wii U, this was a mistake. While it's not as noticeable as the adventure games of yore and their massive issues with fast CPUs, it does cause the AI to be as accurate as - well, a traditional AI, rather than the realistic misses you'll find on 30 FPS. Kind of a big deal, considering how some classes are built around evasion.

In Smash Wii U, tying the entire game logic to the frame count isn't a problem, as it's obviously only on Wii U, and won't ever break 60 FPS without modding.

Thelostrune likes this.
  13. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    Wait MHG is FPS locked? No wonder it felt weird to me, I thought it seemed bad and I guess I was right!

14. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    I never really noticed a difference, though it's been months since I picked up a Monster Hunter game. I lost my save on 4U and just never felt the will to play again until Generations came out.

15. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    Yea, MH4U had an unlocked FPS, but N3DS does take advantage of the game. MHG on N3DS has a consistent 30FPS at all times, while O3DS is locked to 30, but it has drops.