Homebrew Removing FrameRate Caps on New3DS

HaloBenish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Anyone know if there is a plugin for NTRCFW or something that allows Super Mario 3D Land, Ridge Racer 3D, or any other games to have their framerate cap removed on a New 3DS? I already use NTRCFW to re-enable the New3DS improved hardware but for many games there is a hardcoded 30FPS cap even though the New3DS hardware could probably hit a near constant-60FPS.

Reactions: stanleyopar2000

HaloBenish

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I believe that if you would up the fps cap of those games, the physics would get all messed up.

It all depends on how each particular game is made I'd assume, I suspect Mario 3D Land is made in a way that would allow removing the 30FPS frame rate cap without the game breaking but I dunno

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think something similar to gecko codes would make it possible, but a lot of games depend on a locked frame rate. Also, a solid fps is actually much better than a variable frame rate. I like the FPS being a locked 30 on MHG over a variable 35-60 that MH4U had. It just looks smoother, especially since it has decent frame times when locked, giving the illusion of a higher fps anyway. I'm not saying it's impossible, but probably not advisable.

mutinize

dazed and confused
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You realize console only devs would waste a huge amount of time and resources coding a game to work with an unlocked framerate but needlessly locking it to 30, right?

Tying the framerate to the game engine is most likely what they did for all of their games. If they were multi plat then maybe things would be different.

ll0rT

Trophies
XP
Country
Generally all moving things in a fps locked game depends on frame rather than real time. So even if you manage to raise the fps from 30 to 60, everything in the game would be twice as faster.

Reactions: Feeling it!

Feeling it!

Pure Logical Feels.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Generally all moving things in a fps locked game depends on frame rather than real time. So even if you manage to raise the fps from 30 to 60, everything in the game would be twice as faster.
I can back this up since shiny quagsire made a video of sm4sh at 240fps and it ends the match in 3 seconds from the cpu 0 to death-ing you.

Reactions: N7Kopper

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That would be a rookie developer mistake to tie physics to the fps. Then again, I guess there are some that do that.
It's only a mistake for multiplatform releases with different frame rate locks. Mass Effect 3, for example, tied the (actually rather impressive) AI logic to the frame rate, making it lose it's lustre on platforms frame locked to 60 FPS, as opposed to the 30 it was designed for. Since the game is on 360, PC, PS3, and Wii U, this was a mistake. While it's not as noticeable as the adventure games of yore and their massive issues with fast CPUs, it does cause the AI to be as accurate as - well, a traditional AI, rather than the realistic misses you'll find on 30 FPS. Kind of a big deal, considering how some classes are built around evasion.

In Smash Wii U, tying the entire game logic to the frame count isn't a problem, as it's obviously only on Wii U, and won't ever break 60 FPS without modding.

Reactions: Thelostrune

pokemoner2500

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think something similar to gecko codes would make it possible, but a lot of games depend on a locked frame rate. Also, a solid fps is actually much better than a variable frame rate. I like the FPS being a locked 30 on MHG over a variable 35-60 that MH4U had. It just looks smoother, especially since it has decent frame times when locked, giving the illusion of a higher fps anyway. I'm not saying it's impossible, but probably not advisable.
Wait MHG is FPS locked? No wonder it felt weird to me, I thought it seemed bad and I guess I was right!

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Wait MHG is FPS locked? No wonder it felt weird to me, I thought it seemed bad and I guess I was right!
I never really noticed a difference, though it's been months since I picked up a Monster Hunter game. I lost my save on 4U and just never felt the will to play again until Generations came out.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never really noticed a difference, though it's been months since I picked up a Monster Hunter game. I lost my save on 4U and just never felt the will to play again until Generations came out.

Yea, MH4U had an unlocked FPS, but N3DS does take advantage of the game. MHG on N3DS has a consistent 30FPS at all times, while O3DS is locked to 30, but it has drops.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: iH