Hacking Remap Guitar Hero 3. trucha'd vmc'd jap wii fit and works

Chinman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Just a thought for someone with more expertise than me, can anyone out there, possibly using trucha, remap the controls on guitar hero 3, so that it plays like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfsBZ8_mwaU

i.e. the wiimote as the fret and you strum with the nunchuk. i think konami mapped and locked the controls in their original sucky way to force ppl to buy the guitar. if someone was able to do this, i reckon a lot of ppl would be very happy. i know i would

Also i truchad vmced the jap wii fit and it now works, couldnt get english text to work. did this because in the UK wii fit will be about £70 and in hong kong the jap one is about £40-45, now waiting to see if the jap balance board will work on my pal wii (someone said it didnt on a forum, but i reckon it was an opinion and not fact). my bro is bringing his board when he comes over for work and we are gonna test it, if it works he will leave his and buy another, and i will download an english copy. if not he will take it back. i will let you know of the results and hopefully it will be a cheaper solution for some of us, especially as there are loads of games that are being developed right now for the board.

noONE

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Yeah.. but how practical would that be?
i mean, the whole point is to use the board in those games.
i think you take out the fun if you take out the board.
Still, it could be used to quickly try the games and see how they are,
but nothing to play thru the game with.

Chinman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
youre missing the point, i know playing such games without a board is pointless. jap wii fit asks for the board at the start and then cant go further without it

i truchad wii fit to see if the jap board will work on a pal wii, which i will find out soon. if it does then i will get english games to use with it. this will be a cheaper alternative for a lot of ppl i know who can get a jap board from hong kong

lou_weed

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
just watch your weight : the jap board only stands under 100 kg :-)

and about GH3 : i think it takes more than just a patch to detect strumming with the nunchuk... i think it could be complicated

Chinman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
from wikipedia: Ideally Nintendo would like to launch a same-sized Balance Board worldwide,[3] although after receiving feedback from Wii Fit's Japanese launch Nintendo decided an "American-sized" Balance Board is needed, as the Japanese model is designed to support people weighing up to 300 pounds (136 kg/21 stone 6lb). The "Western" Balance Board will support people of a weight up to 330 pounds (150 kg).

over 21 stone? i think i will be ok
smile.gif

GH3: i was thinking if wiitar on PC can map those controls, why cant GH3? surely it can be done. where theres a will theres a way, things like this always start off with it cant be done, but then someone always finds a way

lou_weed

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
I hope you're right, but it seems way too complicated.
I think we need to see the first homebrew game that utilizes the same controls , than we'll be able to do so...

and about wiifit : thought it was 100k , but still you have to watch your weight!! :-) dont go naughty on the board (2 person yoga... )

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
yee_tsou said:
GH3: i was thinking if wiitar on PC can map those controls, why cant GH3? surely it can be done. where theres a will theres a way, things like this always start off with it cant be done, but then someone always finds a way
It cannot be easily done. It would require massive hacking skills (probably the commands are not in some easy file like commands.ini, but are hard-coded into the game). To do that you should have the Source Code.

The Wiitar can be used on PC because on PC they have the source code of Frets of Fire, and adding a new control system in a source code is pretty easy
tongue.gif

And if you're referring to using the Wiitar as a generic remapped controller, that can be done easily with the drivers for Wiimote on Windows. But seeing as Wii has no drivers, and no known method to remap game controls externally, it can't be done
tongue.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could probably do it for the DS/GBA but those systems have long been cracked wide open and have extensive documentation on them.

You have two ways of doing it as I see:
1)recode the game to decode the wiimote how you want.
On the GBA/DS the keys being pressed can be read from the memory:
http://nocash.emubase.de/gbatek.htm#gbakeypadinput
To tell what key is pressed you simply read the memory location or mess with other stuff in the case of the touchscreen.
Assuming they have not been nice enough to leave a keymap lying around (and if it is as you say they will likely not have) you will have to hack the binary to do it and given we do not even have a native code wii remote driver yet..... you could luck out though and find stuff they left behind.

2)create a kind of hypervisor/interpreter to do the job of recoding: doing it in hardware (either slice up a wiimote (easy but it would likely be just that remote) or by using a bluetooth recoding device (quite hard but easy to get anything working with it)) would not be so bad but in software it would be fairly crazy and way beyond anything I would consider (not to mention it would have to be launched from the game as terminate and stay resident stuff is long gone (and can make for some serious exploits).

1 thing though I have only played a guitar hero game a few times but that little paddle switch where the strings should be has often had to move far faster than my fist (and so nunchuck) can reasonably do.

Chinman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
this is all interesting stuff, thanks for the feedback. does sound complicated but im sure theres someone out there that can work it out, some of u hackers including yourselves are so damn smart.

im not really a big GH fan otherwise i wouldve ran out and bought the guitar, i just thought it was so obvious how the makers shouldve mapped the controls for the wii. its very obvious that they have made it just playable but rubbish to play without the guitar (no offence, just my opinion), and the lack of option to remap the controls within the game which is usually standard in any game, makes it all the more obvious. but hey they are here to make money, so i dont blame them.

hopefully one day the games will all be blown wide open to hackers and we can customise games like this to how we want them to play

lou_weed: 2 person yoga? i have no idea what you are talking about, tell me more. preferably with 2 female models illustrating your points, and an accompanying powerpoint presentation

Lazycus

Rotten
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The controller support is already in GHIII so it's not that big of a deal, you don't need a guitar. What buttons would you like used though? For all 5 fret buttons it would be really awkward to hold the Wiimote with one hand. Strumming with the nunchuk? I don't think there are many who would want this setup. Go to scorehero.com for the latest on GHIII customization. Nothing on controls yet but you could be the first (and last) to do it.

Chinman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
lazycus im just thinking out loud thats all and nothing better to do on a saturday afternoon. i just had it in my head how GH would play, and then the wiitar video inspired me some more, so i just thought i'd see what the hackers had to say. im rubbish at these games anyway
smile.gif
tomorrow i may ask how we can remap the controls to play dancing stage with a wiimote strapped to each foot
rofl.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-