Hacking Remake of Super Mario Bros (SMB Team)

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country
disk channel animation is all done now ill make a vid and upload it later tonight
wink.gif

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if you really wanted i supposed you could have "joke" midway flags though that kinda defeats the purpose of the idea lol just put invisible solid tiles around the flag so they can't activate it
tongue.gif

Treeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
DeadlyFoez said:
It totally is possible to fit all of world 1 into one NSMBW level, easily.
You could actually fit the entirety of SMB1 into one level - the only issue would be time limits.

While you can only have up to 8 zones in each area (although eventually, I'll have a solution for this) you can get around this by using the X Scroll Limit sprites to combine multiple levels/sections from SMB1 into one zone.

VampireLordAlucard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DaFees said:
If I may add my two cents: I think there should kind of be both. Recreate the original game (SMB) exactly as it was as close as possible. Then keeping in mind that a good player on the average could easily beat the game between 7 to 10 minutes if they so desired. Add in the fact that with a newer engine and controls that time might even be cut slightly shorter. Keeping this in mind, I would welcome a strict recreation, but then at the same time would enjoy an enhanced version, that borrows elements from the original (level designs being about the only thing you can borrow), but includes new elements like perhaps multiplayer or expanding levels to make benefit of all the new objects found within the game that is NSMBW.

I understand that the team behind this hack's goal may be a strict recreation, but with what I and others have said, I'm not sure that such a hack will offer substance and replay value. Sure it's great for the sake of what it is, but after playing it twice (once where you go through every level and once where you take all the shortcuts), I couldn't imagine playing it too many other times except when wanting to show it off to friends, especially since the original game was largely a single player game and the NSMBW is more geared towards the multiplayer aspects, which this recreation would make little use of, I would imagine. Speaking of multiplayer, unless this hack comes up with a way to remove the ability that is multiplayer then you would be essentially allowing a game that is, by today's standards, easy to become even easier.

Either way though I intend not to sound harsh or critical of the genius that is behind this project in fact I applaud it for the brilliant and immense effort.Whatever becomes of the final product / release I definitely look forward to it.

I'm thinking that after we fill the first half of the game with SMB, the second half will be devoted to SMB2. Many people find these levels to be harder, so adding multiplayer to them should be interesting. Even if we could, I can't imagine removing multiplayer from the game.

We are also starting to work on changing up the graphics where we can, so hopefully the tilesets and backgrounds and menus will at least be somewhat different from a game you've already played (NSMBW).

Also, we are having a problem getting the shortcuts working. So, you may not be able to just hope into 1-2 and leap forward into 4-1. Sure, you could use a complete NSMBW save to jump around, but where's the fun in that?

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. I think that people will enjoy playing through these old levels with new paint, and see how we've recreated them. I think people will also be amazed with the little things in the game that we have changed graphically. If I can captivate your attention and help entertain you for a few minutes, I'm happy. Whatever the end replay value is, is what it is.

Feel free to criticize and provide feedback on what we're doing! Our work is open to the community for a reason - because we want your help and feedback and advice.

-aXe-

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FUCK! As most of you may have noticed, I haven't been around for a few days. First I was sick, then my computer was sick. I lost EVERYTHING. I'm just getting back online now.

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country
damn ive having some problems with the disk channel anim

works great as a wad

but now if changed it to work as a dvd banner its bricking the menu when i click to open the disk channel

maybe its because im testing it in sneek but i dont have any blank discs just now
frown.gif

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just use reggie, sneek, or puneek to switch the opening.bnr in the disc. theres no need to burn this to a dvd to test it.

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country
i am using sneek but when i click to open the disk channel it bricks

like i said i dont know why works fine as a wad

im unpacking the wad
renaming the 00.app to opening.bnr
extracting it
switching it to IMET (dvd banner info)
packing it back up
then copying it over the one in my sneek game folder

all the steps are right im sure i just dont know why its bricking
frown.gif

Treeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
DeadlyFoez said:
If i can have one feature request to you then I would love you that much more. I feel that there needs to be something as a visual indicator with the cursor that shows what layer you are about to draw on either by having a number representing the layer right next to the cursor or having the cursor being a certain colored. I have found so many times that when I try to go and do something quickly on layer 2, I forget that I was working on layer 2 and continue my work while still putting it on layer 2 when I should have been putting it on layer 1.
I'll look into it, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to add. I may be able to do it by using a custom cursor for the level view, although this will mean that it won't look the same as your default OS cursor.

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Treeki said:
I'll look into it, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to add. I may be able to do it by using a custom cursor for the level view, although this will mean that it won't look the same as your default OS cursor.

Does he know he you can switch the layers things are on even after they are drawn?
Select what you want switched... press and hold ALT, then click the layer number you want it moved to.

diddy81

Wii Theme Team
Trophies
XP
Country
kk here is the channel animation for the old super mario bros remake
theres still a small problem of replacing it in a iso without it bricking the system menu

but it works great as a wad

credit : the wii theme team (diddy81 and symular_syn)

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Great work on the animation, but.......

The name is undecided yet, if you pop by the forums you will see a post containing all the suggestions so far.

I hope it's not too much work to change the name in the anim.

Sorry, but still fantastic work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Click on your profile pic in the top right corner, and you'll get the profile menu popup, with...