Hacking RELEASE: v4.2 Safe Firmware Updater

WalkerOfTheDay

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
cu_shane said:
I used this to update to 4.2U. Everything went well and it was easy. Thanks! However, the wii is still telling me that there is an update available. If I run the update will it do nothing since everything has already been done...i.e. is it safe to run the system update so that I get rid of the notification?
It's probably the new Shop Channel.

bula

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WalkerOfTheDay said:
cu_shane said:
I used this to update to 4.2U. Everything went well and it was easy. Thanks! However, the wii is still telling me that there is an update available. If I run the update will it do nothing since everything has already been done...i.e. is it safe to run the system update so that I get rid of the notification?
It's probably the new Shop Channel.

Download and pack Shopping Channel-NUS-v18.wad with NUS and install it with wadmanager.

jimbob_2003

Trophies
XP
Country
Right,
Since reading this thread i've added alot of things to my wii like Gecko, Wii home brew apps
biggrin.gif
(enjoying using all this stuff i never knew about before)

BUT...

the safe updater keeps cutting out and wont update my Wii for some reason???
It close very quickly after saying unable to do something but i keep missing what it is :S

anyone got any ideas ?
Cheers James

swario

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi. I have a native 3.4E wii softmodded. Now i want to update my firmware using this updater to 4.2 directly. But i have a question for zector:

zektor said:
Yep. You should really already have your cIOSes installed (249, 222, 223) before performing this update btw. So that way you'll be all set with your loaders and if you need to trucha IOS70 when done, that'll be as easy as using 249 to do it.

Also, make sure you have HBC 1.05 installed before the update as well. Remember, v4.2 system menu deletes the old HBC. Not a big deal if you forget however, as you can always use bannerbomb when done and get the HBC v1.05 installed, but why worry about it later?

with " You should really already have your cIOSes installed (249, 222, 223) before performing this update btw. ..." what do you mean?
Do i need to install these cIOSes? and if yes, can i install themwith the Wad Manager 1.5 after i downloaded them with the NUSD?
excuse me for the noobish question
blink.gif

thanks for all your work...

Sjaz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Got a problem running the installer...

The first step competed, but then the program returned a -1 ret error, so I stopped the program. I have cIOSCORP 3.4, is that the problem? Thanks for your help.
smile.gif

Mr. Roboto

Trophies
XP
Country
Quick question. After applying the safe 4.2 update will the Wii still perform the official update if you go through the Wii menu, or does it stop thinking that it has already been updated? I made the stupid mistake of trying this after the Waninkoko update and it overwrote it with the official version and I had to mess around allot to get my backup restored.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
toss01 said:
dont do it, there is a new shop channel... any chance of an update zektor?

I was considering it (as it is very simple to adjust the updater to download v18 of the shop channel) but I do not really think it is necessary. The safe updater has had over 5000 downloads, so I think most people who wanted to get to v4.2 have already done it at this point. I don't want people to have the misconception that they need to run the whole updater all over again just because of a simple shop channel update. If there is another safe updater update, it will most likely be when a new firmware emerges if it is applicable.

For now, all you really have to do after using the updater is to use NUSD v1.3 on your PC and download/pack into wad the latest v18 of the shop channel....then simply install with wad manager.

I have not had time to test the updating of the shop channel from the Wii itself, but I am assuming the online update will just update the shop channel itself. Can someone confirm this?

samerus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It took 3 attempts (I don't have the best internet connection) but finally worked. Thanks a lot for the updater.

When it did not work it would automatically go back to Homebrew. When it did work it said complete hit any key to exit.

Thanks again.

toss01

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
zektor said:
toss01 said:

I was considering it (as it is very simple to adjust the updater to download v18 of the shop channel) but I do not really think it is necessary.

Okay thanks, I was just checking because I was about to run this and was hoping you might whip something up quickly, I haven;t used NUSD before but I'm sure I will be able to get my head around it

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
toss01 said:
zektor said:
toss01 said:

I was considering it (as it is very simple to adjust the updater to download v18 of the shop channel) but I do not really think it is necessary.

Okay thanks, I was just checking because I was about to run this and was hoping you might whip something up quickly, I haven;t used NUSD before but I'm sure I will be able to get my head around it

Actually, I would not suggest the shop channel update unless you REALLY need it. I ran some tests tonight and found that most of my SDHC cards that previously worked fine in the Wii Menu (for SD card VC/Wiiware and some savegames I had stored on them) no longer functioned after the v18 update! Very odd. Older non-sdhc cards I tried still worked, and the formentioned SDHC cards that I said would not work in Wii Menu operations STILL worked in the HBC. Something with the update was either accidental or intentional....not quite sure. I'm staying far away from the Wii Shop update until I figure out what broke what.

zektor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sjaz said:
Got a problem running the installer...

The first step competed, but then the program returned a -1 ret error, so I stopped the program. I have cIOSCORP 3.4, is that the problem? Thanks for your help.
smile.gif

cIOSCORP is most likely the problem since all of the IOSes have maxed out version numbers. You can use the cIOSCORP uninstaller first and then go for the update again.

superbigboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
Thanks Zektor, with this fantastic guide the the safe firmware, i am able to upgrade from 3.1U to 4.2U (even though I am not sure how much benefit i am going to get, because i am new to this). I did experience some difficulty of losing IOS250 which bar me from installing the startpatch then later after I managed to get this resolve i got the up side down screen issue.

lastly, i re-installed the safe firmware again and it seems running alright now.

this was quite an experience for me as I never get into modding, and went through process of upgrading allowing me to understand what more i can do with my wii machine.

Will get back with more questions soon. Cheers,

Ozz465

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Work perfectly , installed bootmii and new HB chan right after thx. btw do i need to install any new cios for gx loader and such?

TyRaNtM

I did some projects..
Trophies
Website
www.power-ups.net
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
This program is very good, BUT have a BIG problem:
The installer download a content and install, and keep doing this at when finish.

This isn't very good, because, if you lose internet signal (like a ISP problem) you cannot download the rest of the contents and can be a instead bricked Wii. This make the installer not so SAFE.
For example, Waninkoko installer, first download all the contents and after that, start to install.
Hope that when a future 4.3 version appears, the install will be like i mentioned before.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TyRaNtM said:
This program is very good, BUT have a BIG problem:
The installer download a content and install, and keep doing this at when finish.

This isn't very good, because, if you lose internet signal (like a ISP problem) you cannot download the rest of the contents and can be a instead bricked Wii. This make the installer not so SAFE.
For example, Waninkoko installer, first download all the contents and after that, start to install.
Hope that when a future 4.3 version appears, the install will be like i mentioned before.

The risk is no different than with an official Nintendo update. And it doesn't install while downloading, it downloads the content and then installs it so losing an internet signal will not brick you. However, a power failure during the actual system menu installation at the end might. Again...same risk as with Nintendo's and Wanin's updaters, only a better application all together.

D

Deleted User

Upgraded my Wii from 3.3e to 4.2e using your Safe FW Updater today and everything went fine. Thanks for your effort!

elistan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
sorry about this, my wii was upgraded using wanin's upgrader, I tried going into wii shop and it asks me to do system update ... any way to fix this ? Thanks.

Ooops ... after some reading it seems the shop channel was updated again ... nvm.

climo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need to install Bootmii and upgrade my HBC... should I run the hackmii 0.5 installer before or after this Safe Updater? Will the Safe Updater install Bootmii and upgrade my HBC or just download IOS's? Just want to make sure I do it right the first time...hehe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/22tVWwmTie8?si=2CEDZldUW5ODozYh meh