Homebrew Homebrew app [Release] ThirdTube - A homebrew YouTube client for the new 3DS.

PacDan16

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Man, I just gotta say... the Universal Updater app is such a freakin' fantastic new addition to the 3DS Modding scene, I love it SO much. It's part of some of the peak of powerful, super-useful apps for the 3DS!

Seeing your great new app show up on there after I find it on these 3DS GBAtemp threads is exciting and fun to go through. I needed to make this post because I appreciate all of you devs so much, you always impress me and make things awesome to use, especially for all of those who can't understand code and fully fathom all the complexities involved with that world.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing what can be done with apps like this on the hardware!
Cheers to @windows_server_2003 and all the other contributors to the community out there. I appreciate y'all a ton.

windows_server_2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I was thinking about it, but isn't it possible to make a video player/ YouTube app for old 3ds that would, within the app, convert mp4 to jpgv?
It's an indirect, less-efficient way to "decode" mp4. 3DS doesn't have HW decoder or something like that to play jpgv, so if that were still faster than normally decoding mp4, ffmpeg would have already taken it.
We cannot solve the problem at least in that way.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For everyone who has used the official YouTube app :
Did it support watching livestreams?
How was the resolution, and how much internet speed did it require?

I'm implementing livestreams support but stuck with buffering speed problem.
The information about the official one will help me how much should I try to speed it up.

Reactions: cvskid

chachun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's an indirect, less-efficient way to "decode" mp4. 3DS doesn't have HW decoder or something like that to play jpgv, so if that were still faster than normally decoding mp4, ffmpeg would have already taken it.
We cannot solve the problem at least in that way.

For everyone who has used the official YouTube app :

The information about the official one will help me how much should I try to speed it up.

No, it didn't support livestreams.
In fact, that was something I always wanted at the time... Oh well

windows_server_2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
No, it didn't support livestreams.
In fact, that was something I always wanted at the time... Oh well
Thank you for the info. Now I kinda understand why they didn't implement it.
It will be hard to smoothly watch livestreams unless you have very stable network connection, but I'll implement it.

Reactions: PacDan16

windows_server_2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
The second release of ThirdTube, v0.1.0 is out!

Download : https://github.com/windows-server-2003/ThirdTube/releases/tag/v0.1.0

Here's the changelog.

• Added support for livestreams and premiere videos
    • Due to the way it works, smooth playing of livestreams cannot be expected unless you have a very stable connection. I do have one at home, but it barely continues to play without loading.
    • Live chat is not supported yet.
    • You can access to a livestream before it starts, but you'll have to press Advanced -> Reload in order to watch it when it starts.
  • Added more metadata in video player and other pages
    • View count, published date, like count and dislike count in the video page
    • Uploader and duration in video suggestion page
    • Subscribers count and video count for channels, view count and published date for videos in search results
    • Published date and view count in channel video list
  • New icon and banner (thanks PokeTube)
  • Brought back dark theme
    • And YES, that feature is also back
  • Fixed random playback failure due to 403 error
  • Fixed a bug in the parser that caused some videos to fail to play (rare)
  • Fixed slow buffering
  • Fixed long videos (1 h+) taking too much time to load/not playing/crashing
    • Extremely long videos are still subject to unending loading/freeze/crash.
  • Fixed a bug where the bottom of the video was stretched

Zealotus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
back in 2016 i used my o3DS for watching youtube videos and then suddenly youtube stop supporting it. and then i saw this homebrew. but it only supports new3DS. my excitement suddenly went missing. @author BTW keep it up we need someone like you who keeps our old device alive by recreating or creating new homebrew.apps.

Reactions: windows_server_2003

sith

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
back in 2016 i used my o3DS for watching youtube videos and then suddenly youtube stop supporting it. and then i saw this homebrew. but it only supports new3DS. my excitement suddenly went missing. @author BTW keep it up we need someone like you who keeps our old device alive by recreating or creating new homebrew.apps.

everyone, especially the OP/software author understand and acknowledge your desire to have this work, but even Nintendo could barely deliver it, it is unreasonable and a waste to have the OP write a super complex library without documentation for the few people it would benefit.

Reactions: Wavy

x149te

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

No, Yt app didn't support live streaming. But New 3DS browser do. on youtube channel and any other. I did watch 3D films in briwser via http page of my local ftp server (Fenix, I think)

windows_server_2003

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It turned out that the previous release had a bug where it crashed while playing a long video due to out of memory, so here's already the next release.
Download : https://github.com/windows-server-2003/ThirdTube/releases/tag/v0.1.1

• Fixed crashing when playing 1h + video
  • Speeded up YouTube parser for quicker loading
  • Reduced the binary size by removing unnecessary codecs and demuxers from ffmpeg library
  • Implemented experimental network framework using sslc service + manual HTTP/1.1 parser which can be enabled in Settings
    • This reuses TLS connection sessions if possible, improving performance for thumbnails and livestreams
    • However, it's less stable than current one using httpc service for now, so it's optional (and disabled by default)
    • Bug reports for this feature are greatly appreciated. It would be helpful to include whether the bug still occurs if you turn off this feature in the bug report.

And I have created a Discord server :
https://discord.com/invite/zwtxTxPP

tldr5588

Trophies
XP
Country
Azerbaijan
Thanks for this. I never updated my firmwares so browser doesn't work for me. App revived youtube on 3ds for me on old luma 7+11.3

JoelSonamShah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Hey nice work! Wondering if you can upload a unstable or laggy version for the old 3ds with 144p. even if it does lag it would still be usefull to watch small clips,memes, videos without audio, tutorials, walkthroughs unless it crashes because of timeout but even getting the thumbnails, stats, comments are quite exiting. anyways good work :)

Reactions: windows_server_2003

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over