Homebrew [Release] Spiik - Region & language changer

pelago

Trophies
XP
Country
Can Spiik be used in conjunction with SD Caffeine? It would be useful to be able to load certain overseas games, but also be able to mod them.

Mizo

はじめまして私わみぞです、よろしく。
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason is not working on SSB4 (USA Console and games), I have my WIIU with Spanish Language then I use Spiik to change it to English but it doesn't work :huh: but when I launch MK8 it worked just fine.

Last edited by Mizo,

KniveKvn

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Thank you for your awesome work sir! It worked with some of the games I tested. Both Zelda Hyrule and Twilight Princess worked fine. However, Mario Kart 8 just stuck on the start up loading screen and Super Mario 3D World stuck on the loading screen as well. Also tested Captain Toad and same thing happened. The Kirby Game didn't change the language, still Japanese.

I have a Japanese Wii U. I've downloaded the games from Wii U USB Helper - USA Region. All games that I've installed are in USA- ENGLISH region.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
WOW! Thank you so much for this app!
I have a JP Wii U with most of my games being JP, I do have some US games (English is my native language so RPGs or story games are nicer in English).

I'm wondering, are you going to try to make SPIIK have a semi-permanent setting for individual games? Because it would be great if it had that so we hopefully won't need to run HBC and then SPIIK every time after CBHC runs; kind of like how on Wii's USBLGX can save individual settings for country and language.

Thanks again! :D

Reactions: pelago

munhozzz

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you for your awesome work sir! It worked with some of the games I tested. Both Zelda Hyrule and Twilight Princess worked fine. However, Mario Kart 8 just stuck on the start up loading screen and Super Mario 3D World stuck on the loading screen as well. Also tested Captain Toad and same thing happened. The Kirby Game didn't change the language, still Japanese.

I have a Japanese Wii U. I've downloaded the games from Wii U USB Helper - USA Region. All games that I've installed are in USA- ENGLISH region.

I have exactly the same problem :(
Did you find a way to fix it?

lordofthemonkeys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Spiik sounds like the one reason to try homebrew. Thanks for giving us a way to play Japanese exclusives. Before I take the plunge, can you please confirm what I've gleamed from various posts is accurate?

Working configuration:
* US Region Wii U, update 5.5.2
* Haxchi (Coldboot custom firmware not required)
* Latest SPIIK app, loaded from Haxchi / Homebrew channel.
* SPIIK settings - Region: JP, Language: JP
* Original Japanese disc
* Locally Installed copy of original disc, dumped with disc2app, loaded with WUP Installer Mod Y

Instructions: Follow the docs :)

If there's anything else needed, like manually modifying the copy of my disc or actual coldboot firmware, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Spiik sounds like the one reason to try homebrew. Thanks for giving us a way to play Japanese exclusives. Before I take the plunge, can you please confirm what I've gleamed from various posts is accurate?

Working configuration:
* US Region Wii U, update 5.5.2
* Haxchi (Coldboot custom firmware not required)
* Latest SPIIK app, loaded from Haxchi / Homebrew channel.
* SPIIK settings - Region: JP, Language: JP
* Original Japanese disc
* Locally Installed copy of original disc, dumped with disc2app, loaded with WUP Installer Mod Y

Instructions: Follow the docs :)

If there's anything else needed, like manually modifying the copy of my disc or actual coldboot firmware, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

Already, I found another requirement I missed, mentioned in this thread. "You will need region free patches from a custom firmware, otherwise the Wii U will not even run the game."

Time for more homework to answer "does Haxchi have region free patches, if not how to add them."

boingoing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just want to add another +1 note in here for looking into games which use a different API to find the console region.

I have a Japanese Wii U which I want to play some USA disc games on without having to crack them open and repackage them after mucking around in the region files. Spiik seems like a great step forward here but it needs a bit more polish.

I can offer my help but I'm afraid I don't know much about Wii U hacking. Is there a remote debugger I can attach to the game while it's booting and break on access to the region settings memory or something? Do we have symbols?

lordofthemonkeys

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this tool. I confirmed the first level of Spyros Adventure JP worked on US Wii U. A few steps weren't clear at first, so I'm adding them here for others. Here's what worked for me.
  1. install haxchi and hbc, and spiik app
  2. launch the haxchi into homebrew. - click and hold button until you see white screen
  3. dump with disc2app. Select sd card. Insert Japanese disc.
  4. install game using WUP Installer GX 2. Select your disc dump. Choose usb drive so you don't clutter your Nand in case the install breaks.
  5. Reload the Wii U main menu - At this point you should see the Japanese game icon
  6. launch haxchi to load custom firmware - click and release button. do not hold down button. This launches custom firmware. Let it install and return to the home screen.
  7. launch haxchi to homebrew - click and hold button until you see white screen. Homebrew should load
  8. Click the spiik app in homebrew, set language and region. In my case Japanese language and JPN region. Spiik will return you to the wii u screen
  9. Load your Japanese game - in the main wii menu click on the new icon.
Not sure if 3 & 4 are required. For step 9, you may be able to just insert the JP disc.

y1985

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Tried this with Jp WiiU with Spiik 0.1b change region to US
- Yoshi Wolly World => loop at Loading screen
- Minecraft => loop at Loading screen
- Super Mario 3D World => loop at Loading screen
- Zelda Twilight Princess => able to load Eng language

Vivec

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've been searching just for this. Got Shantae Half Genie Hero but the Spanish localization is really poorly done. My Wii U is Spanish and the game is EUR, AFAIK it's multi-language, when I launch spiik and set the language to English and region to EUR it does nothing for the game, but the Home menu and such messages are surprisingly in English, tried language English and region USA just because but it's the exact same scenario.

Any clue how could I get it to work or about some similar homebrew?

gburgue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Do I need to re-launch this everytime I reboot?
As the OP said in a previous post, Spiik changes console region and game language in RAM, so nothing is permanent. So... yes, you need to re-launch it everytime you perform a cold boot of the console.

Reactions: ACCA919

ACCA919

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hong Kong
I have a Japanese colsole and want to play and English version of Paper Mario Color Splash, but only the Japanese game work, and loading a US version will cause an error on startup, even when I set the console region to Eng, US in Spiik.

cryptblood1986

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Games not working on Jap unit with Eur/Usa English settings are:
Batman Arkham City (English voice Jap text) <-- Could help if someone can program the software to change to INT language?
Batman Arkham Origins (English voice Jap text) <-- Could help if someone can program the software to change to INT language?
Minecraft Wii U Edition (Stuck on boot)
Pikmin 3 (no change)
Mario Kart 8 (Stuck on boot)
Mario Party 10 (Stuck on boot)
Paper Mario Color Splash (Stuck on boot)
Star Fox Guard (Stuck on boot)
Star Fox Zero (Stuck on boot)

Games working by Loadiine (english converted). Check loadiine compatibility.
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Mario Kart 8
Super Mario 3D World
Super Mario Maker
Yoshi's Woolly World

Games working by Spik :
Devil's Third
Hyrule Warriors
NBA 2K13
NES Remix
NES Remix 2 (use USA/Eng)
Pokken Tournament
The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess HD
Wii Party U
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze

Reactions: leerz and fmhugo

hadi aulia

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Games not working on Jap unit with Eur/Usa English settings are:
Mario Kart 8 (Stuck on boot)
i also have japan unit
for mario kart 8 you should change your region to japanese, it also worked with the wonderful 101

you can try switch to japanese region for batman games, maybe it also worked the same

Last edited by hadi aulia,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +2