[Release] Spiik - Region & language changer

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by ::Phoenix::, Mar 11, 2017.

1. titaniuml

titaniuml Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 27, 2015
    This worked for me, thank you :)

2. pelago

pelago Member

Feb 20, 2006
    Can Spiik be used in conjunction with SD Caffeine? It would be useful to be able to load certain overseas games, but also be able to mod them.

3. Mizo

Mizo はじめまして私わみぞです、よろしく。

May 27, 2016
    United States
    For some reason is not working on SSB4 (USA Console and games), I have my WIIU with Spanish Language then I use Spiik to change it to English but it doesn't work :huh: but when I launch MK8 it worked just fine.

Last edited by Mizo, Nov 16, 2017
  4. KniveKvn

KniveKvn Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 15, 2017
    Philippines
    Thank you for your awesome work sir! It worked with some of the games I tested. Both Zelda Hyrule and Twilight Princess worked fine. However, Mario Kart 8 just stuck on the start up loading screen and Super Mario 3D World stuck on the loading screen as well. Also tested Captain Toad and same thing happened. The Kirby Game didn't change the language, still Japanese.

I have a Japanese Wii U. I've downloaded the games from Wii U USB Helper - USA Region. All games that I've installed are in USA- ENGLISH region.

5. d.d.d.

d.d.d. GBAtemp Fan

Jun 26, 2012
    Tokyo Metropolis
    WOW! Thank you so much for this app!
    I have a JP Wii U with most of my games being JP, I do have some US games (English is my native language so RPGs or story games are nicer in English).

I'm wondering, are you going to try to make SPIIK have a semi-permanent setting for individual games? Because it would be great if it had that so we hopefully won't need to run HBC and then SPIIK every time after CBHC runs; kind of like how on Wii's USBLGX can save individual settings for country and language.

Thanks again! :D

pelago likes this.
  6. munhozzz

munhozzz Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2017
    Brazil
    I have exactly the same problem :(
    Did you find a way to fix it?

7. lordofthemonkeys

lordofthemonkeys Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2018
    United States
    Spiik sounds like the one reason to try homebrew. Thanks for giving us a way to play Japanese exclusives. Before I take the plunge, can you please confirm what I've gleamed from various posts is accurate?

Working configuration:
    * US Region Wii U, update 5.5.2
    * Haxchi (Coldboot custom firmware not required)
    * Latest SPIIK app, loaded from Haxchi / Homebrew channel.
    * SPIIK settings - Region: JP, Language: JP
    * Original Japanese disc
    * Locally Installed copy of original disc, dumped with disc2app, loaded with WUP Installer Mod Y

Instructions: Follow the docs :)

If there's anything else needed, like manually modifying the copy of my disc or actual coldboot firmware, please let me know. Otherwise, I'll give this a shot. Thanks!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Already, I found another requirement I missed, mentioned in this thread. "You will need region free patches from a custom firmware, otherwise the Wii U will not even run the game."

Time for more homework to answer "does Haxchi have region free patches, if not how to add them."

8. Uzeir

Uzeir Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 21, 2018
    Azerbaijan
    My MK8 also have same problem.

Someone find out how to fix Mario Kart 8 freezing on the title ?

Last edited by Uzeir, Jan 21, 2018
  9. boingoing

boingoing Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2018
    United States
    Just want to add another +1 note in here for looking into games which use a different API to find the console region.

I have a Japanese Wii U which I want to play some USA disc games on without having to crack them open and repackage them after mucking around in the region files. Spiik seems like a great step forward here but it needs a bit more polish.

I can offer my help but I'm afraid I don't know much about Wii U hacking. Is there a remote debugger I can attach to the game while it's booting and break on access to the region settings memory or something? Do we have symbols?

10. lordofthemonkeys

lordofthemonkeys Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2018
    United States
    Thanks for this tool. I confirmed the first level of Spyros Adventure JP worked on US Wii U. A few steps weren't clear at first, so I'm adding them here for others. Here's what worked for me.
    1. install haxchi and hbc, and spiik app
    2. launch the haxchi into homebrew. - click and hold button until you see white screen
    3. dump with disc2app. Select sd card. Insert Japanese disc.
    4. install game using WUP Installer GX 2. Select your disc dump. Choose usb drive so you don't clutter your Nand in case the install breaks.
    5. Reload the Wii U main menu - At this point you should see the Japanese game icon
    6. launch haxchi to load custom firmware - click and release button. do not hold down button. This launches custom firmware. Let it install and return to the home screen.
    7. launch haxchi to homebrew - click and hold button until you see white screen. Homebrew should load
    8. Click the spiik app in homebrew, set language and region. In my case Japanese language and JPN region. Spiik will return you to the wii u screen
    9. Load your Japanese game - in the main wii menu click on the new icon.
    Not sure if 3 & 4 are required. For step 9, you may be able to just insert the JP disc.