[RELEASE] Sonic CD for PS Vita

51T81wVqC4L._SY355_.jpg

Following the full disassembly of Sonic CD from the amazing work of Rubberduckycooly, I am releasing a port of Sonic CD running natively on PS Vita.

The porting is pixel-perfect and it basically runs on an internal resolution of 480x240 upscaled by 2x. This is an unofficial port, meaning that I forked the original source code and modified it to make it running on PS Vita. I am already in contact with the original author to integrate my changes on his repo.

Please follow the instructions on the release page to make it work. The VPK itself does not contain any copyrighted assets. It's not 100% perfect but it's fluid enough to be fully playable.

:download: DOWNLOAD VPK

Rich8606

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I'd use this, but my Vita and PS4 both run off the same master PSN account. So if I hacked my Vita and it got flagged that's my entire library disabled. Probably not worth the risk, right?

It's fine, I hacked my Vita and I can still play online with the same PSN ID I use on my PS4. I'm playing Helldivers (legit copy I bought off PSN) on my hacked Vita, and I overcloclocked it, Helldivers 4 player online runs better than the official firmware.

Last edited by Rich8606,

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It's fine, I hacked my Vita and I can still play online with the same PSN ID I use on my PS4. I'm playing Helldivers (legit copy I bought off PSN) on my hacked Vita, and I overlooked it, Helldivers 4 player online runs better than the official firmware.

Yeah, Sony likes to pretend the PSP and Vita don't exist nowadays.

Reactions: pollop2345

Rich8606

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Do you get recipes online or you watch a video instead?

Hmmm, very different though. Vita hacking text tutorial can be very technical and it usually assumes you already know what's what. It's like "Put this ,VPK file on your ur0 or ux0 directory", I was like VPK? ur0? ux0? What the hell is all this? Whereas with the video by Tech Savvy Buyer, he actually explains what VPK is, what the difference between the two directories, etc. It's much clearer and simpler in the video tutorial, just follow exactly what he does.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone tested this on a real vita yet? I tried it on mine, but it crashes as soon as I try to open it. Does the game write to a log file or something else I can look into?

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I prefer text, sorry.
Me too. I usually watch a video to get the gist of what I'm about to do and then just follow a text guide.
Also: Just give this person a link already :D
https://vita.hacks.guide/
Plailect's guides are very easy to understand, explain every step as thoroughly as possible (sometimes too thoroughly) and are usually up to date.
---

The release notes only mention "Data.rsdk" and the optional video files. Are the other files not needed at all?

Edit:
Great port. I just played through the game and everything worked. The later stages Wacky Workbench, Stardust Speedway and Metallic Madness dropped a few frames during heavy background effects or with lots of sprites onscreen. But nothing too crazy.
The bonus stages on the other hand are pretty slow, which is good for me, since I don't like them. (Still couldn't beat the second one...) Oh and when completing bonus stages, the background image doesn't reach the far right side of the screen and instead displays what was last displayed in that area. See screenshot.
I also encountered a few crashes. I don't know if you, OP, know what to do with these crashdumps, but I just zipped them and put a txt next to them with info on what I did, when the game crashed.

Attachments

• SCDPSV_Crashdumps.7z
    1 MB · Views: 192
  • SCDPSV.png
    SCDPSV.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 227
Last edited by seseiSeki,
Reactions: duwen and raxadian

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer text, sorry.
Text is more reliable anyway. Video tutorials can often gloss over important info and tend to not mention when they were made and what firmware they were made for, so the information being given can often be outdated and you may not know until too late.

cvskid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think text tutorials are better too. It's just that some people are visual learners so i can see why people would want video tutorials.

SMVB64

Now your playing with power! Super power!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Wiiu port would be siick

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Wiiu Port would be siiick

abda

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates

Following the full disassembly of Sonic CD from the amazing work of I am releasing a port of Sonic CD running natively on PS Vita.

The porting is pixel-perfect and it basically runs on an internal resolution of 480x240 upscaled by 2x. This is an unofficial port, meaning that I forked the original source code and modified it to make it running on PS Vita. I am already in contact with the original author to integrate my changes on his repo.

Please follow the instructions on the release page to make it work. The VPK itself does not contain any copyrighted assets. It's not 100% perfect but it's fluid enough to be fully playable.
Nice! if I get or ever find a PS Vita I will make sure to install this.

Reactions: Deleted User

Xeeynamo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Me too. I usually watch a video to get the gist of what I'm about to do and then just follow a text guide.
Also: Just give this person a link already :D
https://vita.hacks.guide/
Plailect's guides are very easy to understand, explain every step as thoroughly as possible (sometimes too thoroughly) and are usually up to date.
---

The release notes only mention "Data.rsdk" and the optional video files. Are the other files not needed at all?

Edit:
Great port. I just played through the game and everything worked. The later stages Wacky Workbench, Stardust Speedway and Metallic Madness dropped a few frames during heavy background effects or with lots of sprites onscreen. But nothing too crazy.
The bonus stages on the other hand are pretty slow, which is good for me, since I don't like them. (Still couldn't beat the second one...) Oh and when completing bonus stages, the background image doesn't reach the far right side of the screen and instead displays what was last displayed in that area. See screenshot.
I also encountered a few crashes. I don't know if you, OP, know what to do with these crashdumps, but I just zipped them and put a txt next to them with info on what I did, when the game crashed.

Thank you for your precious feedback! I am not sure if I can use the coredumps, but I will find a way to do so. I also noticed the txt file inside that describes what caused the crash . Regarding the screenshot when you complete a bonus stage, unfortunately that's an issue with the data files that do not expect to go beyond the resolution of 402x240. I was aware of those minor glitches, but they are the compromise to have a pixel perfect resolution without modifying the game's data (or patching it on-the-fly by the eboot).

Reactions: seseiSeki

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thank you for your precious feedback! I am not sure if I can use the coredumps, but I will find a way to do so. I also noticed the txt file inside that describes what caused the crash . Regarding the screenshot when you complete a bonus stage, unfortunately that's an issue with the data files that do not expect to go beyond the resolution of 402x240. I was aware of those minor glitches, but they are the compromise to have a pixel perfect resolution without modifying the game's data (or patching it on-the-fly by the eboot).
I expected, that the Bonus Stage thing happened, because of the resolution. I remember toying with the resolution of the Android port which also produced results like that. Kinda unfortunate, that it's limited to 240 vertically, but hey. I'm a pixel perfect fan, so that's a compromise I'll take :D

About my question regarding the files: Do we only need Data.rsdk? What about the font, images or sounds files?

Xeeynamo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The decompilation from rubberduckycooly where this port is based from, only uses Data.rsdk and the content in the videos folder. The other files you mentioned are HD asset only used by the PC version and from the in-game menu and they are ignored in this port.

PZT

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The pixel perfect resolution is so important, it's odd that SonicMastr500 is in the r/vitahacks subreddit saying that it'll be "fixed" as if that's something wrong, and saying he's not sure why there's a slight black border.
I wonder if they don't notice the difference, some people don't (and they're lucky lol because I hate being bothered by it in ports of other games), but to me it sticks out to me like a sore thumb when the image is stretched to uneven pixel widths/lengths, and I'd much rather have a small black border over having the integrity of the whole image hurt to where it's hard to look at
At most, the pixel perfect image should be centered so the bottom bar isn't taller than the top, but it really shouldn't be changed, if the artifact is necessary to keep the resolution of the image intact and maintain integer scaling it should be kept, I very much hope you guys keep it that way when merging your ports together

In terms of bugs, I've received a few crashes so far, like clearing Wacky Workbench Zone 3 when it's in bad future mode on save file 1 crashed for me every time and I couldn't progress, but other than that and some random crashes here and there where I didn't know what caused them, it's a near-perfect port, beautiful on the OLED
I also noticed a bug in that the slowdown in the special stages seems to desync the timer. The actual timer that ends your special stage playthrough seems to be absolute, the exact amount of time every time, but the amount the time actually elapses in the numbers on the HUD seems to be linked to the game speed, so if there's slowdown and the special stage is not running at full speed, your time will run out before the timer on screen is at 000

Last edited by PZT,

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When it comes to a device this small I personally prefer a sharp interpolation that fills the entire screen. Although I would like the option for pixel-perfect to remain for those who like that.

I also have to say that on most platforms the remake bonus stages are absurdly fast compared to the Sega CD original. Not just higher framerate but the overall game speed is just faster, making it more challenging. So I'd consider them running slower a feature really.

seseiSeki

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
In terms of bugs, I've received a few crashes so far, like clearing Wacky Workbench Zone 3 when it's in bad future mode on save file 1 crashed for me every time and I couldn't progress, but other than that and some random crashes here and there where I didn't know what caused them, [...]

Interesting. I completed the whole game in Bad Future and Wacky Workbench 3 didn't crash for me.
Although, I used the US soundtrack, but I don't think that would lead to the game not crashing ^^'

Reactions: Pablikenemy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s