Northfear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Another classic port for PS Vita.

Original data files are required. Source/VPK/instructions/list of controls are on the github page of the project:
https://github.com/Northfear/systemshock-vita

VitaDB link:
https://vitadb.rinnegatamante.it/#/info/787

System Shock is an old-school game. It can be hard, confusing and even obtuse. It does not hold your hand and invites you to explore and improvise. It is advisable to start with normal (or if preferred lowered) difficulties settings. Take things slow, read, listen to audiologs, pay attention, make notes if needed. Pay attention to security levels on each deck, lower the better and also pay attention to your current objective. If needed, refer to manual (included for example with GOG release or can be found on internet) or ask other players.

Special thanks to Taffer for help with controls and testing.

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Million thanks. I am not even done with C&C and you bring up the next great one. Testing later :)

EDIT 1 : compiled the game with GOG version, the game will start.
EDIT 2 : I have to wait in the beginning, game is loading, not freezing !
EDIT 3 : I am now in the main title screen, when I go on new game the mouse courser will stop, use PS3 controller. Can not start the game and can not change the option like difficulty. But game is still working. Maybe its a PS3 controller problem ? Other buttons will work, its just that after some seconds the PS3 mouse courser stop.

Had user 'Taffer' tested it with PS4 or P3 controller, or VITA Sticks himself ? Still have trouble with PS3 controller.

Last edited by peter8,
Reactions: SuperDan

MrKhaosk21

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hi and thanks to Nothfear and the community for this release!

Believe or not, i bought a PSVITA two years ago, because i was aware of the possibility of playing System Shock/Shockolate on it.. I tried by myself to make the port but i was totally unsuccesful even to begin, but i didnt lose the hope, but voila! Here it is! Infinite thanks to you all.
I have been testing and the release is near to perfection,so i didnt find major issues on installation (although i have some knowledge managing the data files through dosbox and by inspecting the sources of the TSSHP and the Shockolate ports, also i pushed a POC on the psphomebrew Discord channel running the shareware version through DosBox-PSP some time ago).

My test environment is a FAT-PSVIta PCH-1000 firmware 3.73 using temporary h-encore2 to launch homebrew, it usually crashes on suspension due to some incorrect plugin configuration, and im aware of the problem... Using a 8gb original card Sony card.

- First, i tested the datafiles from the System Shock Portable that was released before the GOG version. Although the initial splash works, it failed at loading the intro cutscene and the application crashed, let me know if you want the dumps, and ill set it up again if needed. I havent tested with the old shareware datafiles or oldest disks versions...

- After that, I reinstalled again with the datafiles of the GOG version and runned without issues at first try. Everything works at it should (Even though some minor bugfixes/gameplay issues should be fixed according to the GOG corresponding forums, didnt tested yet ):

1) loading times are generally ok and only stalls temporarily when loading audiologs, only tested english with audio and text enabled and seems ok for now.
2) Launching a new game is appreciable the use of the native vita input for name entry and also later for data saving. I suppose Northfear was not aware that also the map fullscreen allows personal bookmarks using the "Messages" option. A minor bugfix is needed here ;). By pressing with the LMB on a point in the map, it grabs the input like the WASD based key entry but START key acts as the enter allows to record properly...

3) The touchscreen mapping to the MultiFunctionalDisplay-MFD and NeuroSoftware Socket is screen exact, I know the UI would need a deep modding work to be modified, but Im used to it and find no issues, the cluttering of the UI difficults the use of the mouselook touchscreen (no pun or comparation with Xash-Half life port) ... The options menu is activated with SELECT but can also be activated by pressing the top-left corner of the screen with the left mouse, but it seems to be unimplemented on touchscreen. Also, seems a little confusing at first to move the mouse with right stick on the options screen but again, seems no problem once you get it... Also, options sliders stucks a bit, so i always slide until desired and rapidly ESC's to maintaing the setting...

4) About the keymapping, i got used to it quickly, it differs from my custom mapping ( triangle=jump, cross=crouch cycle), but for the rest seems ok. left/right leaning proves useful for corner fire on unaware enemies. For the good side: Drug-apply with START key is a bendition if you have the med-patch always selected on the inventory. On the bad side, launching grenades quickly is almost impossible, as you have to open inventory, change the mouselook and try to aim, resulting in a "Band of brothers" joke-result of nose-exploding :(

5) Graphics are ok, even with high graphics settings and vita 960x544 resolution, there are no slowdowns. I can imagine whiy VitaGL support is not implemented yet as the original portal-based software renderer of the game does all the job efficiently. I upvote to be as close to the original experience for now, and left the improvements for a possible SS2 port (¿?). For those who research like me: Previous to SS, Ultima Underworld PSONE version was exclusively released on japan changing decals for laughling "globulous" 3Dmodel-based characters, enough with the Ghostbusters...

6) Music and sound also ok, the big problem of the gameplay is that you need the music to detect nearby enemies but on first level it gets irritating... im also aware of issues and trouble that would suppose applying the SB/Ultrasound music, and possibly would lag the the game for bad if applied,...

7) Saving and Loading seems to work ok for now at Level 2,... Although i have some previously saved games, still didnt test cross-saving between SSP/GOG/Shockolate is possible, but i bet that it should work,... Ill post results when i try. For now i have restarted a normal game and trying to finish for the first time in my life...

The Gyroscope support deserves its badge, have been playing on wheel-chair to prevent accidents and is the VR/AR experience that the game deserves as the cherry-topping of a perfect 30-years-old experience...

Hope these tips also helps the newbies, you can find more insights at old fan sites like TTLG forums, systemshock DOT org OR Sourceforge TSSHP project.

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Need Ps3 controller fix, still not working for me on title screen.

@ MrKhaosk21 :
Do you still have the dosbox version ? PSP or Vita ? Maybe other games works to.

MrKhaosk21

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@peter8

Not sure at all, i think it would be necessary to recompile the sources of shockolate to ignore or override loading the differences in the game data,...
Sadly i never managed to find a physical version around,... I managed to download the System Shock Portable version years before the GOG release at the system shock dot org site, when copyrights were in stale state... If im allow by the moderator i can upload the mentioned PSP-dosbox pack with a shareware version that i previously uploaded at the PSP homebrew discord channel... Let me know what you think

Reactions: peter8 and SuperDan

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
When not please send me PM, I would test it with Adrenalin, other ports works to like Hexen 2 and Shadow Warrior PSP ports. Anyway someone told me of a dosbox emulator for psp and vita. But I had not found the vita version on the HBBrowser vitadb. But how would it work on a PSTV, maybe with USB keyboard ? I have DosBox working on PS3 and Wii, but its not what I expected, so I want to know and test the power for the Vita. This would help a lot, otherwise waiting and hoping for porting older games.

MrKhaosk21

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Well, it depends on how much involvement you put on, but generally speaking it is not worth the time, and i have spent a lot since the GP32/GP2X/PSP/Vita handhelds... Search on the net for the PSP-Archive,...Actually, PierreLouis from the PSP-Hombrew channel managed to recompile PSPdosbox after 8 years of stall, and although there were few improvements but still not enough for the PSP power... I used his dosbox version to run the Shlink shareware demo, although it worked for me on my PSP-3000 and PSP-Street with CFW, he reported that it didnt work on LME...

I think you wouldnt get much results on Adrenaline for PSP-Dosbox, i tried myself several configurations and games that worked on my PSP that crashed on Vita. Regarding the keyboard, you have to map buttons to keys in dosbox.conf, and understand the P-Sprint input method that was implemented (Check my README for a quick overview on button-mapping)

For Vita the the only option you have is Retroarch with the Dosbox-core and cross your fingers . To launch an app you have to understand how configure a specific dosbox.conf file and lauch it from Retroarch, afterwards, there are core-specifics options that you can tweak to improve the emulation. I already had System Shock configured and working with 500Mhz overclocking it was playable but random crashes would happen... Also, i had some headaches with the mouse to stick config... Ill check which version i installed and update this post...

Wish i could be more helpful: As weird as i commented in the begining, I BOUGHT MY VITA TWO YEARS AGO exclusively to prepare to play SS and i was certain that Shockolate would be ported. Yesterday i tried the DS3 plugin but i cannot pair it with my DS3 clone so i gave up... On the other side, is hard to comprehend how a 20-years old game fits perfectly with the Vita stick/key/touchscreen/gyro layout. The original programmers covered all future possibilities and you can play all the game only with a 2-button mouse, or use more that 25 keys!! Also this port is well re-think about the mappings and playing striclty with the DS3 gets close as playing like Bioshock but it plays slightly different ,
I commented that i tried myself to do the port but i dont have enough time/resources to do it by myself , also english is not my mothertongue and few groups around me are not interested in this kind of "non-commercial" project, ... If something changes ill let you know. Try to reach some homebrew developers, did you try to compile yourself? Dont know if the SDK is the same for Vita and PSTV, but if you are into programming, maybe you can try the DS3 integration and remap in the sources.

Good Luck!

Reactions: peter8

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am to stupid for vita coding, otherwise I had port Unreal 1, SIN, Blood 2 and Mortyr myself, this is all I need and big dream. The last time I had learn a little bit coding, was for 20 years ago on the Sega Dreamcast scene. So my knowledge today is zero. but thanks for your answer, it helps the community anyway with informations. I was getting your PM, thanks man.

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
PS3 Controller is working now.
Using the settings for Dead Space Port PSTV-PS3 Fix (extra topic).

Now all the menus are working and I can move around the map, that was not possible before. Anyway its very difficulty to play it on this way with touchscreen. I am sorry to say this, but I dislike touchscreen and motions and shaking or what ever. Please update a full controll setting over analog controller and d-pad.
This port is so great and it could be better. Love you man.

Northfear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
PS3 Controller is working now.
Using the settings for Dead Space Port PSTV-PS3 Fix (extra topic).

Now all the menus are working and I can move around the map, that was not possible before. Anyway its very difficulty to play it on this way with touchscreen. I am sorry to say this, but I dislike touchscreen and motions and shaking or what ever. Please update a full controll setting over analog controller and d-pad.
This port is so great and it could be better. Love you man.
I'm.. not really sure what are you're talking about. Are you playing it on Vita TV?
Unfortunately I can't help with any Vita TV related issues, since I only have the regular Vita and develop all of the stuff with it in mind.

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
million thanks for coming here.

yeah I am use PSTV, so I must emulate touchscreen and other motion stuff via PS3 controller. I want all this great stuff on my big flat screen in 1080p.
maybe I will find some fixes to play it better. for menus the touchscreen is good enough, but ''moving'' the character is not so good working. playing on hardest difficulty is a pain and not possible.
thanks anyway ! can not wait to see more stuff from you.

Northfear

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
million thanks for coming here.

yeah I am use PSTV, so I must emulate touchscreen and other motion stuff via PS3 controller. I want all this great stuff on my big flat screen in 1080p.
maybe I will find some fixes to play it better. for menus the touchscreen is good enough, but ''moving'' the character is not so good working. playing on hardest difficulty is a pain and not possible.
thanks anyway ! can not wait to see more stuff from you.
Moving shouldn't be affected by touchscreen. It should be playable w/o touchscreen altogether by turning on the cursor mode and moving it around, but it definitely won't be as comfortable.

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks man, this was the answer I need. here you go :

Northfear : ''Moving shouldn't be affected by touchscreen.''
Controls :

Left analog stick - Movement - NOT WORKING PS3 Controller
Right analog stick - Aiming/Cursor movement - NOT WORKING PS3 Controller
X - Jump - works
O - Cycle between Stand/Crouch/Prone - works
[] - Quick action/item pickup (instantly picks up the item, opens the door, etc) - works
/_\ - Next weapon - works
D-Pad Up - Grab/Arm selected grenade -
D-Pad Down - Toggle between free look and mouse movement -
D-Pad Left/Right - Lean left/right - works
L1 - LMB (Use) -
R1 - RMB (Attack) - works
SELECT - Esc - works
START - Use selected drug
Rear touchpad - Next/previous MFD (you can switch them by swiping up or down on the left/right side of the touchpad) -
Front touchpad - Mouse emulation - works

Test PSTV + PS3 Controller :
The Left analog stick for Movement and the Right analog stick for Aiming 'DO NOT WORK' with PS3 Controller. All other buttons work fine.
Only the virtual touchscreen work with PS3 Controller for Movement and Aiming, of course not the best way to use. The Analog stick will stop in the beginning in the Title Screen when press new game. System Shock is the ONLY one Port that make the biggest trouble on PSTV. I have tested mostly all your other ports like C&C and Dune etc.. was all working perfect with PS3 Controller. I think this is just a simple funny bug somewehre and I hope you can Fix it. PSTV is not working on the same way like Vita, there are still some small differences. Touchscreen and shaking make the most problem on PSTV and need extra plugins that I dont want and even than its not perfect working and make trouble here and there.
Result : need update, FIX Analog Stick right and left for PSTV.

btw : when using a PSTV + PS3 Controller, you also have a option for L2 and R2, 2 buttons more. The Quake port from rinne can handle L2+R2. When you want you can also put some actions there, like strafing or prev next weapon, like this.

When you have no one for testing TV version, I am here and willing to help. I have no other account out there.

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
New Test :

Testing first time PSTV with PS4 controller = also not working, and is more bad than PS3 controller, it walks always to left side for no reason.
final result = not PSTV compatible, duo of controller fail PS3 + PS4

I dont find any fix, more testing not possible.

janjaf

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
[...]

- First, i tested the datafiles from the System Shock Portable that was released before the GOG version. Although the initial splash works, it failed at loading the intro cutscene and the application crashed, let me know if you want the dumps, and ill set it up again if needed. I havent tested with the old shareware datafiles or oldest disks versions...

- After that, I reinstalled again with the datafiles of the GOG version and runned without issues at first try. Everything works at it should (Even though some minor bugfixes/gameplay issues should be fixed according to the GOG corresponding forums, didnt tested yet ):
[...]
Hope these tips also helps the newbies, you can find more insights at old fan sites like TTLG forums, systemshock DOT org OR Sourceforge TSSHP project.
I am having this exact problem, but I am using the files from the GOG Classic edition. Tried all I can think of, but it fails at the video everytime?

Any ideas for what I am doing wrong?
/Jan

peter8

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@ janjaf :

original NFO from Northfear ->
This port was only tested with System Shock - Classic Edition from GoG.

System Shock and Hexen II this two ports make the most problems, all others works mostly fine, using PSTV.
Hopefully Northfear can fix it somehow. I would love to play it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: oh shit where??? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: