Homebrew [Release] ScummVM 3DS

sonicfan1373

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i tried the 3dsx, but it hangs up with a RED screen on bottom n3ds lcd...
what i miss?

I had the same problem. The issue is that the latest 3dsx build (version 0.2) is missing the .XML file that tells the app that it has to load through the Youtube/Smash/MH4U.

You can fix this issue by downloading and extracting version 0.1 from this link: https://github.com/Cruel/scummvm/releases/

And then copying the scummvm.xml file from version 0.1 into the /3ds/scummvm/ on your 3DS's SD card for scummvm 0.2.

Once you do this everything should work :D

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I would like to first thank the developer of this port and the great work that he has done on it so far.

I also wanted to provide a small bug report. Spy Fox 2 and Spy Fox 3 all load and play (as they should since they are built using the scumm engine, which I believe is supported in this port) but there is an issue where you cannot bring up the spy watch and spy toolkit, which is done by moving the mouse pointer over to the bottom left or bottom right. I am not sure, but I think this issue is caused by not being able to take the pointer off of the screen (I recall in the Windows version of the game you would have to move pointer all the way down off the screen for the watch and toolkit to appear); this cannot be done on the bottom screen because the game covers the entire touchscreen and so you cannot move anything below it. I think there should be an option to create margins around the game on the bottom screen so that actions that need the mouse to be moved offscreen can be performed.

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same problem. The issue is that the latest 3dsx build (version 0.2) is missing the .XML file that tells the app that it has to load through the Youtube/Smash/MH4U.
Thanks, I didn't notice that lol. I fixed it so the 3dsx download should have all the files now.

And the 3ds touch screen often has difficulty reaching the very end of the screen. I'll add a simple fix so that if you're within a few pixels or something, it will snap it to the edge of the screen. Also the next release will allow you to use c-pad to control cursor which is another way to fix that.

Reactions: SLiV3R

FONZD

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi!
And first, THX a lot for this port of SCUMMVM !!
Because I love ScummVM, I wanted to set up an animated 3D banner for this homebrew...
So here is the result :

2em03sw.jpg

I hope you will enjoy ! ;)

> Download .CIA <

Attachments

• banner.rar
    366.7 KB · Views: 240
Last edited by FONZD,

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
So just in case anyone is interested, I've managed to get Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father to work using the cia build of ScummVM, and it works surprisingly well!

I use the up key on the d-pad to cycle through actions and it's great. Unfortunately I've not been able to get the voices to work, and with it switched on, it zooms through all the text (due to lack of picking up speech files) but when it's switched off, the text speed normalises and it works perfectly fine. I was also able to save and restore a game.

Quite excited to see how far I can get through!

kane159

Trophies
XP
Country
Taiwan
yo! is me again :) had finish 4 games on the 0.2 release
MI1_Ultimate_Talkie_Edition
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (CD DOS VGA)
Day Of The Tentacle (CD Mac)
Full Throttle (CD Mac)
i have no issue to play them from start to the end :D very good thank you again man
===========================================
suggestion
1.add a button to skip the line(some times i accidentally choose the same option...)
2.add several zoom mode in the setting(well...not very inportant,but if the topper screen isnt cut off a bit i'll be very comfortable :) )
3.the joystick(yeah...i know this is already in the todo list but i just want to say :P)
==========================================
issue i have
adding game is a little bit slow,some times it takes me almost 3 min to load(not a big deal actually...i can add into scummvm.ini by hand)
and the biggest problem i have is i have a region spoof emunand(TWN TW latest version with a9lh aureinand) and scummvm cant work at all!!
i can add game, config them and even change the language and theme in main screen,but when i try to start the game it just crash!!
and unfortunately theres no way to launch 3dsx version in this region so i can't confirm it works or not(is there a way to pull out log or something? i can do it then post it here)

sorry for my bad english :P

Reactions: TheCruel

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This release is such a great bit of work. The only PC games I ever really wanted to replay are the ones ScummVM are all about, and I never did manage to get DOSbox running nicely.

Major thanks!

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you mind explaining this in more detail? I'm a sucker for understanding how things work.
Basically, most games on ScummVM run with 256 color palettes (newer games often don't), so no more than 256 different colors are used on the screen. So the game engine could pass you [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] which are five bytes of data, but they actually translate into five different colors (each colors being 3 bytes for R, G, and B). At the moment, it manually converts (using CPU) all color values form their index value to real one. Optimizing this would require utilizing the GPU by somehow feeding it the index values and having it process them. GPUs are meant for pressing that sort of data quickly and are specially tailored to these sort of operations. So much so that, the despite what you may think, rendering the second 3ds screen (scaled to any level) takes a negligible amount of time. All the time is in generating the original texture and converting it in CPU. I could draw the converted screen 100 times per frame using different scaling/rotation using the GPU and it wouldn't slow it down noticeably.

Basically, the GPU is barely used at all in ScummVM. Changing that fact would improve is dramatically, however with how the program is structured, that's largely not possible except for color palettes and conversions.

Last edited by TheCruel,
Reactions: AHB

ChaosJester

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just ran up some of the Sierra SCI games, they run fine but there is a small problem with the mouse controls. The cursor's "click point" is usually on the bottom right of the cursor, so when you are trying to move to a screen on the left, you can't. The "click point" is too far to the right of the screen even when tapping the leftmost part of the touch screen.

Has anyone found a workaround for this?

spinal_cord

Knows his stuff
Trophies
Website
spinalcode.co.uk
XP
Country
An excellent addition to the hb scene!

Small feature request... I read that c-pad control is on its way, I assume using a couple of the buttons for left/right mouse buttons. Any chance that once this is working, adding the ability to not use the lower screen? using two screens with the same content seems a bit weird.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited by spinal_cord,
Reactions: SLiV3R

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
Is there an official compatibility list? I'm guessing larger, complex games like Broken Sword will not work.

Someone made a video of some Broken Sword gameplay in this thread a little while ago. It looks less pixated in current version than it is in the video. The text is now readable. It's nearly fullspeed on n3ds, but too slow on o3ds. There are still some GPU optimization to be made, but it requires paletted textures. When I figure out a solution for that, many more games will run fullspeed on o3ds.

Yupz, i uploaded one (from an early build) txt is now readable ;)

[EDIT]
Nevermind, didn't see you linked it instead of embed it :D

Last edited by DjoeN,

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
issue i have
adding game is a little bit slow,some times it takes me almost 3 min to load(not a big deal actually...i can add into scummvm.ini by hand)
and the biggest problem i have is i have a region spoof emunand(TWN TW latest version with a9lh aureinand) and scummvm cant work at all!!
i can add game, config them and even change the language and theme in main screen,but when i try to start the game it just crash!!
Unfortunately, I can't fix some games being slow to add. I believe this is because it scans the directory looking for ALL game types. And since reading the SD card is already slow, if you're adding a game that happens to be on the end of the game engine list, you have to wait while it fails through all the previous game engine detection tests.

As far as the region spoof issue is concerned, I'm not sure. It sounds like it could possibly be failing to load the DSP firm dump. I know Day Of The Tentacle can run without DSP firm dump, does that game too crash?

Lordbarker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Not sure if this has been covered, but got SCUMM working, however there is no audio when I boot Sam N Max (DOS CD-ROM). I have Monster.sou, do I need to rip as WAV/MP3?

Lordbarker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
.CIA yes. Thank you - is there a .cia for the DSP dumper? Not sure how to make the dump, apologies if I sound retarded!

Ignore me, I can do it in HBL of course. Does it just dump from a cart I put in?

Last edited by Lordbarker,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I may take a shower to remove all the sunburns in my body