Homebrew [Release] Linux for the 3DS

zwq939681378

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
In theory, this is doable, but do you really want to write C code using a touchscreen?

You're also better off cross-compiling 3DS software on a PC, anyway. Compiles faster and doesn't have the resource constraints.
I just want to see that my 3ds can do it,that's enough.In my country there is on any proper portable programming device.There is a GPD Win(windows10 handheld devices),but it's too expensive.I'm a high school student,I just started learning C++.I don't have much time to use my computer.

Last edited by zwq939681378,

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I just want to see that my 3ds can do it,that's enough.In our country there is on any proper portable programming device.There is a GPD Win(windows10 handheld devices),but it's too expensive.I'm a high school student,I just started learning C++.I don't have much time to use my computer.
I think there's a new 3DS homebrew that allows streaming from your PC to your 3DS. Check the other sections of this forum

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Thanks,but a independent OS would be better,though it depends on a emulator.
You can use vim on the 3DS to edit your source code files.
You can use a compiler on your 3DS, but it will be really slow, and you may run into memory issues. Instead...
When Wifi is implemented, you can ssh to another computer, transfer the source code files using sftp, then you can then use a cross-compiler to compile the source code file.
Once you are finished, use sftp to transfer the compiled program back to the 3DS.
You can now run the compiled program on your 3DS.

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Thanks,but a independent OS would be better,though it depends on a emulator.
I believe you definitely shouldn't even begin to try to develop straight on the console. You'd be better off getting the cheapest laptop you can find.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

or a Pi.

zwq939681378

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I believe you definitely shouldn't even begin to try to develop straight on the console. You'd be better off getting the cheapest laptop you can find.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

or a Pi.
Well.Maybe when I have become a college student,I would do that.But now I just want to write some simple codes instead of a program on a new device.It's fun.

Last edited by zwq939681378,

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Well.Maybe when I have become a college student,I would do that.But now I just want to write some simple codes instead of a program on a new device.It's fun.
It'll be painful, I warn you.

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
It'll be painful, I warn you.

I wouldn't do that if I were them. Having a compiler laying around is nice since it makes the platform self-hosting (e.g. you can build stuff with the standard autoconf dance), but actually programming on a 3DS? Yeah, no. It's going to be anything but "simple" and it's going to be exactly the same as if you'd programmed for/on a RPi. And depending on *what* you do, programming on a RPi is identical to programming on a PC as long as you don't veer from POSIX.

One thing that could simplify adding programs is chroot. And yes, 3DS Linux does come with chroot via Busybox, but I've never tried it myself. In theory you could run any Linux distro you want this way. The SDCard is still readonly though so you'll need to add programs to your root from a PC

A chroot is just a system in a directory. You still need some place to put it. Initramfs is a no-go, and disk is read-only right now. You'd be surprised at how many systems can't operate with a read-only root filesystem (read: most)

Last edited by chaoskagami,

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Will Darling ever work on this?

Will darling ever work for the use case it's intended for in general? Either way, you're not going to be running x86 binaries, only ARM, and the ARM processor in the 3DS is a potato compared to an outdated iPhone. Never mind that the screen is physically smaller than even a first-gen iPhone. The answer is probably "no" unless you come up with a way to emulate processor extensions that are unavailable. Similarly, don't expect to run WINE.

Last edited by chaoskagami,

Joloto

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is chording (for keyboard input) using the buttons and "joysticks" possible?

If so:

Is the following "equation" correct?

(4 directions d-pad + 8 on circle pad + 1 no directional button) * (2 choices for right shoulder * 2 choices for left shoulder) * (4 choices for individual letter buttons + 4 choices for adjacent letter buttons + 2 * 2 choices for start and select) = 13 * 4 * 12 = 624 possible realistic button states for the 3ds * (4 zr and zl) possibilities * 8 circle nub directions = 4992 new 3ds possible realistic buttons states?

I haven't done combinations and permutations in a long time and I'm extremely tired, so I would guess I made an error somewhere.

I would love this as a pocket terminal that I could load a playable open-source ncurses game onto.

Programming it on the 3ds itself would be even better...

I plan to get a Dragonbox Pyra and to program and play something in between a board game and a rogue-like on it, but I wouldn't mind getting a new 3ds for this and already I have a 3ds.

Basically, underpowered Smilebasic (sd write access?), but on Linux and with a language of my choice.

Cubeburner

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmm... on my Luma3DS New 3DS XL, I get "arm9linuxfw by xerpi" on the touchscreen, and garbage rainbow screen on the top screen. That's it, no linux prompt or anything like that.
It does say "3DS Linux by xerpi" and "loading /linux/zImage..." before the garbage appears.

Am I doing something wrong? Using Luma3DS Chainloader from Luma3DS 8.x with the Rosalina module enabled.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1