[Release] Linux for the 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by xerpi, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Well, if you are going to publish the compiled game, that's indeed not allowed to be posted (outside of certain other sites), but nothing prevents you from adapting the source to the official SDK and telling others how to compile it themselves

2. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Maniac

May 3, 2017
    United States
    wait what do you mean not allowed to be posted? it is a fan game.

3. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Compiling combines the source code that you input with software made by others (Unity, Nintendo, etc), so the results are not 100% "a fan game" (which is still copyrighted by its developers)

(this is off topic)

4. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Maniac

May 3, 2017
    United States
    Either way, I just want to try running the game as Linux on 3ds, any advice? like what should I look up?

5. bee395

bee395 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2016
    Netherlands
    You can't make a game with a official license (Unity / Nintendo) and then release the compiled game on forums like these.

Edit: I don't think it is possible since you are running unity on Linux on a 3ds. I think Unity is too heavy for linux on the 3ds.

Last edited by bee395, Sep 21, 2017
  6. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Maniac

May 3, 2017
    United States
    so what you are saying is you can't make a unity fan game? what about games like pokemon unity?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

like are you saying in terms of legal issues? or in terms of forum rules? or in terms of technical issues, the whole point of my post is that I do not want to use Nintendo code, and I just want to use Linux instead.

Last edited by kingtut, Sep 21, 2017
  7. bee395

bee395 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 26, 2016
    Netherlands
    Both, if you get a developer license for Unity, so you can develop for the 3DS, you can only release your 3ds game on the Nintendo E-Shop.

If you release your game for Linux and then run it on a 3ds you are probably fine, hence you don't have a license, but I don't think that the 3ds can run Unity within Linux. I never tried it however.

kingtut likes this.
  8. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Maniac

May 3, 2017
    United States
    According to the gentlemen right here, there is a way to run arm apps on Linux. So I just want to know how to do it. Let me make myself clear, I am not using the ninendo sdk to port the 3ds version.

9. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Good luck with that. Trying to run even basic software is difficult with this, let alone any kind of game. The os itself runs slow, I guarantee you won't be running any games in this, at least not well.

uyjulian and kingtut like this.
  10. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Maniac

May 3, 2017
    United States
    I know that possibility, I just want to try anyway

11. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Maniac

May 3, 2017
    United States
    so how would you run binary on the emulator? would you have to convert it to .sh first

12. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    If you don't know basics of UNIX (you don't just convert binaries to .sh), there's no point in trying.
    It's too complicated and too slow, and you probably can't even save data because SD write support is not implemented.

hobbledehoy899 and TheCyberQuake like this.
  13. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    The fact that you think it could convert in any way to .sh shows you don't know nearly enough to even be attempting what you want.
    For the record, .sh files are (in simple terms) basically the equivalent of .bat on windows. Basically just scripting using what's available in the OS terminal. You don't convert binaries to .sh, especially not a game. That would be like saying I could convert call of duty.exe to a .bat file. Just doesn't work that way.

14. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Maniac

May 3, 2017
    United States
    I understand that I do not know much, And so just let me know what you think I should learn. And I will learn it.

Like if I have a binary Linux file, how would I try it on this emulator? even if it is without saving. I want to try it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

ok so what is your advice? I am sorry for asking noob questions. but I have no idea where to even start. I am willing to research whatever you want me to.

15. TheCyberQuake

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    There would be to much for us to teach you. Really you would just need to get Linux on a pc and start learning from there. There is no real guide on how to use Linux, except for individual parts and cli commands. The only real good way to learn is to just install Linux on a pc you don't care about and start playing around. It's how I figured out how to compile 3ds homebrew (with seemingly each one requiring something nothing else required). Honestly that's usually how most people learn the basics of Linux. Get Ubuntu find a starters guide on youtube, then Google anything else you can't figure out.

kingtut likes this.
  16. hobbledehoy899

hobbledehoy899 GBAtemp Addict

Nov 13, 2015
    Antarctica
    Does this support swap files yet?

17. kingtut

kingtut GBAtemp Maniac

May 3, 2017
    United States
    thanks for advice, I will look it up.

18. Xathya