Homebrew [Release] Homebrew Launcher with grid layout

Shaker78

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@RedHat

The splash screen is a *.bin file, right? If so, can we use this link to create the splash screen?

The problem with the updater is that there is a line within the Lua script which deletes index.lua, so the updater will only work once and then you have to copy the Lua script over again.

I can update as often as I want and the index.lua file is never deleted.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem with the updater is that there is a line within the Lua script which deletes index.lua, so the updater will only work once and then you have to copy the Lua script over again. This line needs to be commented out. Just tagging @ihaveamac on this.
this was actually introduced into a version where I tried to include auto-updating so users on "1.23a" would automatically go to 1.3. unfortunately I didn't do much testing because it worked the first time (I know, that is entirely on me) and so users with that version would end up with a deleted index.lua if the server failed to respond. so I just pulled it. 1.23 has always worked. 1.3 will be better at this.

@mashers this means you have the bad version included in the post. replace it with 1.23 ASAP

Last edited by ihaveahax,
Reactions: Shaker78

ieeat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the menu, if I change cartridges, the shortcut of the mod to the game I want to play on won't be recognized. It'll give a "missing target title" error. For example, say I have Pokemon Y currently inserted. If I switch the cartridge to Mario Kart 7 and click on CTP-7 shortcut, it'll give the "missing target title" error, even if the right cartridge is inserted.

Also, the updater for me doesn't seem like is working. It says "Downloading beta __, sit tight!"; however, after a couple minutes, it's still stuck in that. How long does downloading usually take?

Last edited by ieeat,

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the menu, if I change cartridges, the shortcut of the mod to the game I want to play on won't be recognized. It'll give a "missing target title" error. For example, say I have Pokemon Y currently inserted. If I switch the cartridge to Mario Kart 7 and click on CTP-7 shortcut, it'll give the "missing target title" error, even if the right cartridge is inserted.
Use the L+R+B+D-Pad Down reset and reload the launcher and see if it runs your shortcut.

Also, have you downloaded the new Hans update that @smealum released earlier?

TheRivo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Billy Acuña It's totally easy! Just follow these instructions:

How to make a BGM.bin
  1. Download an MP3/MP4/whatever you want as BGM.
  2. Load it up in audacity/any audio editor.
  3. Delete all of the tracks but one (If it is stereo, make it mono, for example. The result should leave you with a mono file.)
  4. Edit how you like it (make it louder, longer, faster, stronger).
  5. Change the project rate to 44100Hz if it isn't already.
  6. Export it as a WAV (Microsoft) signed 16bit PCM file.
  7. Rename it to BGM.bin and put it in your themes folder.
And you're done! Note: the instructions are available here as well: https://github.com/mashers/3ds_hb_menu
Is there a maximum size for the BGM file?

Last edited by TheRivo,

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
@RedHat when my select sound stops I can hear a pop sound even with the background music. I'm sure I did it right but I'll leave it attached so you can test if needed.
Edit: Same pop with other sounds. only background music does not have it.

Attachments

• selectsound.rar
    30.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited by JJTapia19,

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
With regard to sounds popping, this probably because the sound has been trimmed to have audio at either the beginning or end which is <> 0db. I you open your WAV file in audacity and zoom right in to the start of the wave, you should then find the earliest part of the waveform which is crossing the 0db line (I.e. it is silent). Then delete everything before that point. Then repeat this at the end of the waveform, removing anything after the latest point at which the waveform crosses the 0db line. Then re-export and rename to .bin.

This is what I did when creating my BGM.bin and sound effect files and I have no popping whatsoever.

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
With regard to sounds popping, this probably because the sound has been trimmed to have audio at either the beginning or end which is <> 0db. I you open your WAV file in audacity and zoom right in to the start of the wave, you should then find the earliest part of the waveform which is crossing the 0db line (I.e. it is silent). Then delete everything before that point. Then repeat this at the end of the waveform, removing anything after the latest point at which the waveform crosses the 0db line. Then re-export and rename to .bin.

This is what I did when creating my BGM.bin and sound effect files and I have no popping whatsoever.
I was about to give up! I need to learn how to use audacity. I got it to work by pasting my audio on top of one of yours without overwriting the start and the end. :yay: Thanks!

TheReturningVoid

0xAAAAAAAA
Trophies
XP
Country

Still getting a pop when the song starts. I'm 100% sure there's sound at the beginning there. Here's my WAV if anyone wants to look at it.

Gocario

GBAFail'd
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if it was already said (don't wanna read all of thoses pages).
But some homebrew can't return correctly to the HBM.
The screen black freezes.
I have to use L+R+B+Down to return.

RedHat

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
The splash screen is a *.bin file, right? If so, can we use this link to create the splash screen?
Probably. I have no idea how the .bin files are made, I just messed around with loading them to the frame buffer directly.
Also @RedHat could you give us instructions on how does the splashscreen .bin works? I've noticed that is using the same splashscreen I have set for menuhax.
It just automagically loads ./menuhax_imagedisplay.bin. Note the ./, meaning it will try and load it from its current directory, so if the file ./menuhax_imagedisplay.bin does not exist it will only show black. I have no clue on how to create them at the moment. (other than using Homemenuhax 2.0).
Is there a maximum size for the BGM file?
It's the size of the biggest chunk of memory available to us. For now, it seems that's pretty big. I think I have a 20MB file working right now. Until someone makes a file so big it can't load it, I'm not quite sure the max!
Still getting a pop when the song starts. I'm 100% sure there's sound at the beginning there. Here's my WAV if anyone wants to look at it.
It's not your problem, it's mine. Try my newest branch: https://github.com/RedInquisitive/3ds_hb_menu (It's the .3dsx), it should clean that right up.
But some homebrew can't return correctly to the HBM.
Yeah, things not built with the newest ctrulib will do that. You found the only currently working workaround I know.

@mashers, listen reallllly close to your audio. When a song starts playing there will be a really tiny "pop". It's from the launcher loading WAV metadata and playing it like audio. This is fixed in my branch. Oh, and check my README.md, it includes helpful stuff!

Reactions: JJTapia19

TheReturningVoid

0xAAAAAAAA
Trophies
XP
Country
Probably. I have no idea how the .bin files are made, I just messed around with loading them to the frame buffer directly.

It just automagically loads ./menuhax_imagedisplay.bin. Note the ./, meaning it will try and load it from its current directory, so if the file ./menuhax_imagedisplay.bin does not exist it will only show black. I have no clue on how to create them at the moment. (other than using Homemenuhax 2.0).

It's the size of the biggest chunk of memory available to us. For now, it seems that's pretty big. I think I have a 20MB file working right now. Until someone makes a file so big it can't load it, I'm not quite sure the max!

It's not your problem, it's mine. Try my newest branch: https://github.com/RedInquisitive/3ds_hb_menu (It's the .3dsx), it should clean that right up.

Yeah, things not built with the newest ctrulib will do that. You found the only currently working workaround I know.

@mashers, listen reallllly close to your audio. When a song starts playing there will be a really tiny "pop". It's from the launcher loading WAV metadata and playing it like audio. This is fixed in my branch. Oh, and check my README.md, it includes helpful stuff!
Assuming the auto-updater won't work with your branch?

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Assuming the auto-updater won't work with your branch?
the updater is targeted for masher's GitHub repository. if @RedHat needs help setting it up on any web server he has, as well as modifying the script to use it, I can assist with that. he will need to be uploading the built .3dsx to the repo as well, or before he updates the repository's version.h.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
When switching between pages, are you drawing everything during each frame? If so, I would suggest creating two buffer frames, one of each page, then drawing a percentage of both of them several times. That would increase the frame rate because you would only have to draw two images before each render.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Hilarious :rofl2: