Homebrew Official [Release] GodMode9 - All Access File Browser for the 3DS

• Thread starter d0k3
  • Start date
  • Views 307,908
  • Replies 1,143
  • Likes 105
D

Deleted User

Hey @d0k3 , I have for you one simple question. I was doing some searching and i was wondering is there any reason why I would want Decrypt9WIP and Hourglass9 in addition to GodMode9? I am basically asking is there anything that these two can do that GodMode9 can't. Thanks in advance.

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey @d0k3 , I have for you one simple question. I was doing some searching and i was wondering is there any reason why I would want Decrypt9WIP and Hourglass9 in addition to GodMode9? I am basically asking is there anything that these two can do that GodMode9 can't. Thanks in advance.
GodMode9 does everything Decrypt9WIP/Hourglass9 did. so GM9 is the only tool to keep.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GodMode9 does everything Decrypt9WIP/Hourglass9 did. so GM9 is the only tool to keep.
Actually, Decrypt9WIP can do a few things GM9 can't, namely update seeddb.bin files. He does have a Pastebin somewhere that details these things. I believe there is one other, but I can't remember what....

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, Decrypt9WIP can do a few things GM9 can't, namely update seeddb.bin files. He does have a Pastebin somewhere that details these things. I believe there is one other, but I can't remember what....
there were a few things but most people don't need them (e.g. ak2i stuff). and gm9 can build seeddb.bin ("Build support files")

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
there were a few things but most people don't need them (e.g. ak2i stuff). and gm9 can build seeddb.bin ("Build support files")
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure GM9 can't update seeddb.bin.
It can, and better than D9WIP could. The pastebin was also outdated.

@Leafgreen26 - just stick with GodMode9 - it can do everything you need and is the best tool for the job.

Reactions: SirNapkin1334

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@d0k3 So, last time I asked you about this, you said that there was IRC and didn't want to set it up, but I think I want to give you a few reasons why a Discord server for GodMode9 would be great. I have organized them into user-friendly (U) and server-owner-friendly (S).
1. (S) You have a server, and each server can have channels. A lot like IRC, but they are all linked together and can all be seen at the same time, and you can easily change between them with a keyboard shortcut or mouse click.
2. (S) You can create channels that only you/moderators can chat in. This could allow for announcement or news channels.
3. (S)(U) Everybody can see chat history. This makes announcement channels also possible.
4. (U) (not as important) you can delete and edit your own messages, and moderators can do this to others.
5. (S)(U) Cool server icons.
6. (U) Discord has a much better and smoother interface, and is very easy to set up, for free. Also, probably more people have Discord than those who have IRC.
7. (S) Servers are free, and very good.
8. (S) You can have highly customizable bots.
9. (S) You can also have voice chat channels if you like that.
10. (S)(U) You can also organize channels into categories, which can be shown/hidden with the click of your mouse.
11. (U) Discord will notify you with a cool sound (that is mutable) if you are @mentioned.
12. (U) You can mute channels.
13. (U) You can PM people, or you can turn it off.
14. (S) Permission management is great, you can have ranks (with cool names too), that can have permissions edited specifically to your liking rather than "is moderator" or "is not moderator," along with the fact that ranks can have cool colors.
15. (U) People can have their own account icons, like here on the temp.
16. (S)(U) People don't have to have an account to join a server. They can join as a guest with a nickname. This is disableable.
I may have missed one or two, but please, think about it. You could also have sections and channels for fastboot3DS, D9WIP, and your other projects.
And, here's a comparison of Discord to IRC in general by someone else.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, Discord has in-built support for file uploads of not only images, but any type, so you can easily send log files/scripts, or images for debugging.
It can also be used on mobile phones.

d0k3

3DS Homebrew Legend
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@d0k3 So, last time I asked you about this, you said that there was IRC and didn't want to set it up, but I think I want to give you a few reasons why a Discord server for GodMode9 would be great. I have organized them into user-friendly (U) and server-owner-friendly (S).
1. (S) You have a server, and each server can have channels. A lot like IRC, but they are all linked together and can all be seen at the same time, and you can easily change between them with a keyboard shortcut or mouse click.
2. (S) You can create channels that only you/moderators can chat in. This could allow for announcement or news channels.
3. (S)(U) Everybody can see chat history. This makes announcement channels also possible.
4. (U) (not as important) you can delete and edit your own messages, and moderators can do this to others.
5. (S)(U) Cool server icons.
6. (U) Discord has a much better and smoother interface, and is very easy to set up, for free. Also, probably more people have Discord than those who have IRC.
7. (S) Servers are free, and very good.
8. (S) You can have highly customizable bots.
9. (S) You can also have voice chat channels if you like that.
10. (S)(U) You can also organize channels into categories, which can be shown/hidden with the click of your mouse.
11. (U) Discord will notify you with a cool sound (that is mutable) if you are @mentioned.
12. (U) You can mute channels.
13. (U) You can PM people, or you can turn it off.
14. (S) Permission management is great, you can have ranks (with cool names too), that can have permissions edited specifically to your liking rather than "is moderator" or "is not moderator," along with the fact that ranks can have cool colors.
15. (U) People can have their own account icons, like here on the temp.
16. (S)(U) People don't have to have an account to join a server. They can join as a guest with a nickname. This is disableable.
I may have missed one or two, but please, think about it. You could also have sections and channels for fastboot3DS, D9WIP, and your other projects.
And, here's a comparison of Discord to IRC in general by someone else.

You know, a whole lot of that is also possible on IRC? Anyways, I'm an IRC person and not really a Discord person. I do have an account, but I'm online only occasionally (and I don't want to carry around another messaging app so I can be online 24/7). I am not adverse to the idea of a GodMode9 discord, though, I just won't create one myself or moderate one. You could create one, I'd join.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, a whole lot of that is also possible on IRC? Anyways, I'm an IRC person and not really a Discord person. I do have an account, but I'm online only occasionally (and I don't want to carry around another messaging app so I can be online 24/7). I am not adverse to the idea of a GodMode9 discord, though, I just won't create one myself or moderate one. You could create one, I'd join.
I might test around with it. Though, no good Discord server is good without a couple of people to help.

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay

Here's some counter arguments:

1. There's no point in that in a GM9 chat, it's only meant to be a support thing.
2. That's what the IRC channel topic is for.
3. Same goes to IRC, in any case the problem would be the lack of a "backlog" (seeing messages sent before you connected), which isn't an issue in a support channel.
4. While it is true that IRC spammers can be a PITA every once in a while we have tools to manage them. Although we can't remove messages, bans/mutes are easily issued (and unlike Discord can have complex names with wildcards, to prevent people with similar nicks/same ISP from connecting again).
5. No need, it's not like it enhances anything...
6. IRCCloud and KiwiIRC. 'nuff said. Also, that claim is very debateable, since there's no "one" IRC - there's multiple servers all over the world, and a single individual can create one that's independent of everything else, unlike Discord where everything is centralized on their servers.
7. It's the same with freenode and many others. And they don't go down as often (at least in South America).
8. Same as above. And they're probably more powerful since they act as real users and aren't bound to an API.
9. I don't think that's a good idea on an global-scale server...
10. I suppose that's a benefit... or it'd be if there were a point to have more than one channel.
11. Same, you just have to know how to set up the client (HexChat can definitely do this).
12. Again, it's a client dependant thing but it definitely works on HexChat.
13. Same. And it's not client dependant (well, actually, it is, but basically every client ever should support this).
14. Same, there's several levels of privileges, and I personally don't think it's a good idea to undermine one mod over another (talking about the color thing).
15. Okay, that one could be a good one, I guess? I'm not too much into multimedia so forgive me if I don't see the point. It's definitely a plus for Discord though.
16. It's exactly the same with IRC (https://webchat.freenode.net/)

Those are my 16 cents.

D

Deleted User

@d0k3 - Is it possible that you could incorporate the GM9 Megascript into official releases? Like, instead of all of the scripts in the gm9 folder it would just be the megascript. Even though GodMode9 can already do all of these things without the script, it would make things easier for noobs. You could even contribute to cleaning up/optmizing code (provided you have time). Also, I was using the latest nightly of GodMode9. Why does it say that the payloads folder defaults to gm9. i thought it was luma. Thanks!

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, yeah, he (^) reminded me:
@d0k3 In one of the newest commits, the Payloads option ALWAYS shows up, even if there is no Payloads folder. I think that it should give you the "no payloads" prompt only if the folder exists but there are no payloads inside. The menu option should still check if the folder exists.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@d0k3 I made a modified version of the logo that's been shortened to GM9. Perhaps it could be useful somewhere where you need a shortened version?

gm9.png

Last edited by SirNapkin1334,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Lol