• Replies 21,664
  • Likes 284

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It doesn't actually state that emulators are illegal anywhere on that page, only that it hurts Nintendo etc. etc.

Intellectual Property Rights

Nintendo owns intellectual property rights in its products. These include copyrights, trademarks, and patents.

Copyrights

A copyright is an exclusive right granted to an author of a literary, musical, audiovisual or artistic work, giving the author the sole right to reproduce and distribute that work. There are several different types of copyrights which are associated with Nintendo's products. These include various copyrights in Nintendo's software source code, executable code, game visual display, game music, game characters, product packaging, game manuals and labels; hardware chip microcode; artwork and publications.

Haven't the Copyrights for Old Games Expired?

U.S. copyright laws state that copyrights owned by corporations are valid for 75 years from the date of first publication. Because video games have been around for less than three decades, the copyrights of all video games will not expire for many decades to come.

What are Nintendo ROMS?

A Nintendo ROM ("Read Only Memory") is the type of chip used in Nintendo's video game cartridge which contains the game software. However, this term is commonly used on many gaming sites on the Internet and refers to game data that was copied from an authentic Nintendo video game cartridge.

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.
--------------------------------------------------

A ROM is essentially a reproduction of an original, which means they were made by a third party and therefore illegally obtained no matter the source, unless purchased directly from Nintendo (VC titles, etc.)

So maybe emulators aren't illegal per se, but the ROM's they are used to play are, so really it defeats the purpose.

Reactions: Arck and link6155

Minuteworld

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I present to you Cemu. World's first Wii U emulator capable of running and rendering commercial games!

Quick facts:
  • Can run encrypted Wii U images (WUD) and RPX/RPL files
  • Internal resolution is 1920x1080 (if supported by game)
  • For controller input see here.
  • Contains basically no optimizations. Expect slow framerates and long load times.
  • Windows x64 only (other platforms may be supported later)
  • Requires OpenGL 3.3
    • Tested on NVIDIA: Runs fine on most recent driver
    • Tested on Intel: Garbled output but runs if OpenGL version is supported
    • Untested on AMD

Download:

Version 1.0.0 (Win x64)

FAQ:
Can the controller be configured?
Not yet, it's locked to using the GamePad via keyboard. Proper controller support will come in a future release.

Can I run extracted games?
No, when launching a Wii U executable directly (.rpx) no external files are supported. If you want to run a game, it needs to be in raw dump format (WUD or ISO).

Is there supposed to be sound?
No, audio is not yet supported.

What's next?
The current plan is to release new updates at least every two weeks. A more detailed roadmap is in the works.

OPEN SOURCE THIS SHIT.

Reactions: Arck and Margen67

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Intellectual Property Rights

Nintendo owns intellectual property rights in its products. These include copyrights, trademarks, and patents.

Copyrights

A copyright is an exclusive right granted to an author of a literary, musical, audiovisual or artistic work, giving the author the sole right to reproduce and distribute that work. There are several different types of copyrights which are associated with Nintendo's products. These include various copyrights in Nintendo's software source code, executable code, game visual display, game music, game characters, product packaging, game manuals and labels; hardware chip microcode; artwork and publications.

Haven't the Copyrights for Old Games Expired?

U.S. copyright laws state that copyrights owned by corporations are valid for 75 years from the date of first publication. Because video games have been around for less than three decades, the copyrights of all video games will not expire for many decades to come.

What are Nintendo ROMS?

A Nintendo ROM ("Read Only Memory") is the type of chip used in Nintendo's video game cartridge which contains the game software. However, this term is commonly used on many gaming sites on the Internet and refers to game data that was copied from an authentic Nintendo video game cartridge.

Can I Download a Nintendo ROM from the Internet if I Already Own the Authentic Game?

There is a good deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the backup/archival copy exception. It is not a "second copy" rule and is often mistakenly cited for the proposition that if you have one lawful copy of a copyrighted work, you are entitled to have a second copy of the copyrighted work even if that second copy is an infringing copy. The backup/archival copy exception is a very narrow limitation relating to a copy being made by the rightful owner of an authentic game to ensure he or she has one in the event of damage or destruction of the authentic. Therefore, whether you have an authentic game or not, or whether you have possession of a Nintendo ROM for a limited amount of time, i.e. 24 hours, it is illegal to download and play a Nintendo ROM from the Internet.
--------------------------------------------------

A ROM is essentially a reproduction of an original, which means they were made by a third party and therefore illegally obtained no matter the source, unless purchased directly from Nintendo (VC titles, etc.)

So maybe emulators aren't illegal per se, but the ROM's they are used to play are, so really it defeats the purpose.
But the emulator authors don't provide you the ROMs, so that keeps them in the clear.

Reactions: Arck and Margen67

Woody8275

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lol that's more 19 months old (1-1/2 years). The PC hardware and emulation scenario must've changed A LOT since then :)
well they will have to put a lot of work into it to make one since even now the best gaming computers cant play wii u games in a playable state

EIREXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
wasn't dolphin closed for 5 years too?
...And? Xenia and citra are both open source and are doing very good, pretty much all emulators that exist are open source, and being open source is the most benefitial thing an emulator can do, look at dolphin.
yeah we should burn all windows PC's too :rolleyes:, its the devs work he said he doesnt want to make it open source yet, and tbh seeing as other devs shunned the idea of wiiu emulation i wouldn't want my code/work being consumed by those same devs and packed into their emulators once half the work was already done

You are completely wrong, windows is closed source because it's meant to be sold, I'm not saying that open source software makes no money though, but microsoft is an old company, I don't think they would venture into open sourcing windows (maybe in a few years, they already said it's possible it could happen)

Another mistake you made is assuming that open source means people can copy your code, which is completely wrong, it depends on the license.

Tell me, unless you are a big company that plans to sell the emulator, how are you going to be able to make it all by yourself?, sorry, but that's simply impossible, a single person can't make an emulator of a modern console, pcsx2 is already struggling, emulation requires the effort of a lot of people, emulation is not about you as the person that started the emulator's development, it is about us, and with us I mean all together building towards a better emulation software, because alone, you can't make an emulator.

Reactions: Arck

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But the emulator authors don't provide you the ROMs, so that keeps them in the clear.

Sure but that's also like Pirate Bay saying they never hosted the actual files people were downloading, only the 500KB torrent file allowing them to connect. Gaming companies aren't getting hit as hard as Hollywood though so we haven't seen a big crack down on things like this.

FaTaL_ErRoR

AKA ŦƕƎ ƠṀƐƝ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fantastic news. Much thanks to Exzap....(and if there is anyone else that needs thanks...thank you too)
Also, wth is with the personal info crap.....Seriously?

Reactions: gamesquest1

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
...And? Xenia and citra are both open source and are doing very good, pretty much all emulators that exist are open source, and being open source is the most benefitial thing an emulator can do, look at dolphin.

You are completely wrong, windows is closed source because it's meant to be sold, I'm not saying that open source software makes no money though, but microsoft is an old company, I don't think they would venture into open sourcing windows (maybe in a few years, they already said it's possible it could happen)

Another mistake you made is assuming that open source means people can copy your code, which is completely wrong, it depends on the license.

Tell me, unless you are a big company that plans to sell the emulator, how are you going to be able to make it all by yourself?, sorry, but that's simply impossible, a single person can't make an emulator of a modern console, pcsx2 is already struggling, emulation requires the effort of a lot of people, emulation is not about you as the person that started the emulator's development, it is about us, and with us I mean all together building towards a better emulation software, because alone, you can't make an emulator.
he already said that at this time he doesn't think making it open source will help.......key words being "at this time", im guessing he plans to at some point, but for now he wants to do it himself, and that's his decision, if you disagree well tough, its his project

CosmoCortney

Lawn Meower
Trophies
Website
follow-the-white-rabbit.wtf
XP
Country
Germany
Are Game Copying Devices Illegal?

Yes. Game copiers enable users to illegally copy video game software onto floppy disks, writeable compact disks or the hard drive of a personal computer. They enable the user to make, play and distribute illegal copies of video game software which violates Nintendo's copyrights and trademarks. These devices also allow for the uploading and downloading of ROMs to and from the Internet. Based upon the functions of these devices, they are illegal.

Since we often use their consoles to dump games (if you neglect the fact of the usage of homebrews) Nintendo is saying that their consoles are illegal :creep:

EIREXE

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
he already said that at this time he doesn't think making it open source will help.......key words being "at this time", im guessing he plans to at some point, but for now he wants to do it himself, and that's his decision, if you disagree well tough, its his project
Then we will see what project does better in the future, considering that someone a few pages back already noted questionable quality of code that could harm development.

amback

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all this non sense about things been illegal and such, did you know stalking and or spying is illegal?, yet our own government does it against us with the nsa. to the people that are against this emulator i have a question for you, why are you here?

Reactions: Arck and Goldenight

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look I know this is a bold step to take against out lord and savior Nintendo but they have every reason to lie and say that anything they don't like is illegal. I got a post removed from miiverse for "advertising illegal things" for telling someone how to watch DVDs on his Wii U. Downloading roms from the internet is illegal even if you own the game. Actually burning copies is NOT illegal. Playing personally burned copies on a emulator may or may not be illegal, depending on if source code for the emulator was stolen from Nintendo (which for a console in 2015 means probably yes.) At that level though the amount of illegal is just pitiful and if you think someone is going to get arrested for playing a game they dumped themselves on an emulator you are out of your mind.

Reactions: Arck and Tony_93

Prospector

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
It works!! somehow at least...am getting too many cmu.exe has stop working but at least i starting menu :P It doesnt do anything when it asks which controller to use,dont know why? Like it lose the keys from the keyboard. It runs also on 8fps... But that very nice preview what we will see very soon ^^
my pc specs are i5 3570k 4.8Ghz + Gtx 970+ 8gb ram

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Wish they would let us play the NCAA football 14 on newer xbox, its one of the only games I love...