Hacking [Release] ARK-4 CFW port for PSP.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it would affect Infinity, pretty much any updater might have this issue.
I encountered two anomalous bugs with the latest ark build. the installer--it got stuck in the middle of it, then the system shut off. I went back into ofw, and rebooted the installer. it went through fine the second time. also, after I got back on to the home screen, then rebooted, the system froze. it seemed to be correctly that one time again.

Acid_Snake

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I encountered two anomalous bugs with the latest ark build. the installer--it got stuck in the middle of it, then the system shut off. I went back into ofw, and rebooted the installer. it went through fine the second time. also, after I got back on to the home screen, then rebooted, the system froze. it seemed to be correctly that one time again.
I've had that issue before, seems to just be your typical IO failure, copying FLASH0.ARK again should fix it.

Reactions: godreborn

Acid_Snake

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Hey guys good news for Vita users, ARK-4 is now compatible with firmware 3.65 up to the latest 3.74, you can find the new release here:
https://github.com/PSP-Archive/ARK-4/releases/tag/r1814

Instalation on Vita is the same as before (use FastARK to install on top of a PSP game) with the only change that instead of copying H.BIN from VitaBubble folder, you will be copying the K.BIN file that contains the new kernel exploit.

Note: if for whatever reason you want to use an older version of ARK for 3.65+ you can download an older version of ARK and mix it with the new K.BIN kernel exploit file.

Last edited by Acid_Snake,

Acid_Snake

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Guys the latest download also includes a few new themes for the custom launcher, to install them simply copy the THEME.ARK file from the theme folder into the ARK savedata folder.

MaterialDark:
pic_0030.png

pic_0033.png

gxclassic:
pic_0010.png

pic_0013.png

pic_0008.png

Windows_10_User

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I haven't been through all of my games but actualy:
lunar silver star harmony undub
valkyrie profile
crush (eu)
kingdom hearts bbs (eu)
parappa the rapper (eu)
prince of persia rival swords
silent hill origins (eu)

All crash with the same error (blackscreen then error at launch) I'm on ark-4 4.18.7 (yesterday's build) no plugin. Henkaku enso 3.60. That's about 1 on 4 games.
I don't know if they launched on previous build cause I didn't try them then.

Also tony hawk's project 8(eu) gets stuck on memory stick verification at launch (with and without High speed memory stick option).

Do you still have issues with those games on the PS Vita with the latest standalone ARK-4 version?

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

Liminal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Do you still have issues with those games on the PS Vita with the latest ARK-4 version?
I'm not sure I haven't tried since. I ended up chovy-signing most of my games to run them native and have bubbles on the vita. I still use Ark-4 for some of the games that I couldn't get working with chovy-sign and I still think it's a better way than adrenaline to play psp games. Some of the games like SW: The Force Unleashed will only work on Adrenaline though. I still get random crashes launching games on Ark-4 on the last update but I'm hopeful it'll get fixed at some point for vita.

Last edited by Liminal,

Windows_10_User

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I'm not sure I haven't tried since. I ended up chovy-signing most of my games to run them native and have bubbles on the vita. I still use Ark-4 for some of the games that won't work with chovy-sign and I still think it's a better way than adrenaline to play psp games.

What do you mean by chovy-signing?

Acid_Snake

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm not sure I haven't tried since. I ended up chovy-signing most of my games to run them native and have bubbles on the vita. I still use Ark-4 for some of the games that I couldn't get working with chovy-sign and I still think it's a better way than adrenaline to play psp games. Some of the games like SW: The Force Unleashed will only work on Adrenaline though. I still get random crashes launching games on Ark-4 on the last update but I'm hopeful it'll get fixed at some point for vita.
Interesting, I didn't know about the Force Unleashed, I'll definitely check it out.
As for the random crashes, can you explain it better? I fixed a crash on some CSO games but never had any actual random crash, do you know of any game where these random crashes are more evident? Do you know if this also affects PSP or it's Vita-only?

Liminal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Interesting, I didn't know about the Force Unleashed, I'll definitely check it out.
As for the random crashes, can you explain it better? I fixed a crash on some CSO games but never had any actual random crash, do you know of any game where these random crashes are more evident? Do you know if this also affects PSP or it's Vita-only?
I can't test right now but I'll get back to you. I've stumbled upon some thread that have cheats to make some of those games work specificaly for past ARK versions tho. Like Tony Hawk Project 8 and Force Unleashed.
So I'm not sure if it's on your hand. But I've definitly got some crashes with other games, from some I've listed previously. Most of my games are in eboot format now tho so I'm not sure if it'll matter. Idk about PSP I have one but haven't touched it in years.

Acid_Snake

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I can't test right now but I'll get back to you. I've stumbled upon some thread that have cheats to make some of those games work specificaly for past ARK versions tho. Like Tony Hawk Project 8 and Force Unleashed.
So I'm not sure if it's on your hand. But I've definitly got some crashes with other games, from some I've listed previously. Most of my games are in eboot format now tho so I'm not sure if it'll matter. Idk about PSP I have one but haven't touched it in years.

ah eboot format, that one uses the official Sony driver so it must be something else, probably anti-piracy and DRM, have you tried using npdrm_free for those?

Acid_Snake

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@Liminal here's a build that fixes Force Unleashed and Project 8:
https://github.com/PSP-Archive/ARK-4/releases/tag/v1661937179

I'm looking into other games, but I'm not sure how many of them are broken on ARK-4 since for example it says that Tekken 6 doesn't work due to CPU bug yet it works fine on ARK.

I've also read reports that english-translated games don't have issues with ARK, can you confirm this?

In the meantime I'll be checking the insufficient space issue some games seem to have, it seems that bug affects even a real PSP so it'd be nice if I can come up with a fix for that.

Acid_Snake

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
@Liminal here's another build that also fixes the sound issues in MotorStorm Arctic Edge.
https://github.com/PSP-Archive/ARK-4/releases/tag/v1661944791

This one was a bit tougher to patch since Adrenaline would apply Vita-side emulator config to patch it up.
Eventually I had to do something similar to PPSSPP where audio doesn't get released if there's still samples left to play.
Works well and shouldn't have any side effects.

Other than that I think the only missing patch would be for games that have the "insufficient space" issue, which I guess would be nice to have a more universal solution since it also seems to break on PSP.

Liminal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
ah eboot format, that one uses the official Sony driver so it must be something else, probably anti-piracy and DRM, have you tried using npdrm_free for those?
So I did more testing it seems I don't have the random crashes anymore on the aforementioned games I had problem with previously (most of them in eboot format now because chovy_signed). It must have been because I've tried to launch The Force Unleashed EUR iso beforehand and you have to reboot for any psp game to launch after that. I can't launch MGS Peace Walker EUR iso anymore at all on ARK-4 though(black screen and error) (I haven't try with npdrm_free plugin yet).
Translated and undub patched games work fine in ARK-4 for me so far (example: FF Type 0 ISO, and other eboots that have been modified like this https://forum.devchroma.nl/index.php/topic,12.msg15.html#msg15 )

Last edited by Liminal,

Acid_Snake

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So I did more testing it seems I don't have the random crashes anymore on the aforementioned games I had problem with previously (most of them in eboot format now because chovy_signed). It must have been because I've tried to launch The Force Unleashed beforehand and you have to reboot for any psp game to launch after that. I can't launch MGS Peace Walker EUR iso anymore at all on ARK-4 though(black screen and error) (I haven't tried with npdrm_free plugin yet).
Translated and undub patched games work fine in ARK-4 for me so far (example: FF Type 0 ISO, and other eboots that have been modified like this https://forum.devchroma.nl/index.php/topic,12.msg15.html#msg15 )
woah Peace Walker stopped working? Damn, when did it break?

Liminal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
can you help me figure out which version it worked with last time? It will hlpe pinpoint the issue easier.
I think I was using 4.18.7 but again it must have been with the npdrm_free plugin. And it launches now just fine on the 4.18.15 with the plugin as well.
Edit: I speaked too quickly it just crashed at launch again even with the plugin:wacko:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Surprised they never made a second one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It takes two was their newest different theme
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I didn't care for that one so much, but didn't play it much either.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just played little of "Still Wakes The Deep" , just came to gamepass today, its alright, kinda creepy. I'm not usually a horror game fan, but it looks really good graphic wise, esp w 4k. I admit it made me jump a few times.
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    Anyone here using the 3DS?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    do u have pretendo?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    whats ur code?
  • B @ btjunior:
    i dont have pretendo sorry
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    oh ok
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    well if ur console isnt modded i suggest u to mod it
  • B @ btjunior:
    also, just curius, does the freinds app still work after the shutdown?
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    yes
  • B @ btjunior:
    nice
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    but u cant play online games anymore :(
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i miss going in other peoples town
  • B @ btjunior:
    yeah
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i have a friend named Pineapple (@pineappleJuice hi). we played a lot the day b4 the server shutdown
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I preten to know doe
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @LNLenost how well is the pretendo servers, you ever get kicked off games when playing online?
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    @BigOnYa not always you get kicked. it happens rarely to me.
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    ofc they're not great, but props to them for making this
    +1
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    btw, I decided to make the nintendo support team going insane
  • LNLenost @ LNLenost:
    i told them my badges disappeared after i opened the badge arcade after the shutdown, but actually they disappeared because i opened the badge arcade w/ pretendo
  • AcuteBulbasaurappears @ AcuteBulbasaurappears:
    Hey, is there anybody who knows how to create wuhb-files? :) I would like to create forwarders for two Wii-channels: https://gbatemp.net/threads/wuhb-to-vwii-channel-request.657253/#post-10441514
    AcuteBulbasaurappears @ AcuteBulbasaurappears: Hey, is there anybody who knows how to create wuhb-files? :) I would like to create forwarders...