Region unlocking for cartridges?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by nub, Oct 1, 2014.

1. nub
    OP

nub Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2006
    I have a white european 3ds XL with 4.3 I was wondering if there is a way I could play retail cartridges from the USA and if so can you point me in the right direction? It seems that there was a way but it started bricking 3DS

THanks

2. ars25

ars25 I like tacos and pie

Oct 21, 2010
    United States
    the world that never was
    Gateway and i think mt are two of the best cards out there that will allow region free.also there have been no reports of a gateway bricking a 3ds in awhile so i am assuming gateway is safe now.

SSG Vegeta likes this.
  3. chairsgotoschool

chairsgotoschool Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2014
    United States
    I have no idea about gateway stuff, I know you can play any game on the system but not the physical cartridges right?

4. Vappy

Vappy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 23, 2012
    Gateway's launcher, and possible MT Card's too, have a separate mode for playing physical carts region free. You also don't actually need their cart to use it, you just need a regular DS flashcart to install the exploit.

5. Quincy

Quincy Your own personal guitarist :3

Nov 13, 2008
    Netherlands
    Your house, robbing your stuff
    This is semi-true. Since their newest update (which enables 8.x emunand) you DO need the cart inserted to boot into classic mode (gateway, MTcard doesn't support 8.x yet)

6. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    You need it to boot in 8.x EmuNAND, but if you are using an 7.x or older EmuNAND and a game not requiring an update to 8.x, then you don't need the flashcart to play real cartidge.

A thing to note:
    Playing a real cartridge requiring 6.x+ on emuNAND can ask you to reset the savegame because EmuNAND is not using the same encryption key/method than realNAND 6+
    So if you already played that cartridge on a RealNAND, you will have to start again.

Same if you start playing on EmuNAND, then switch to realNAND, the save data will be incompatible.

It's probably not an issue if you seek region Free, as you couldn't play that game on your console before, but it's good to know the issue exists with your other games.