Hacking Reggie! - NSMBWii Level Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just add a fucking auto-update feature and release it, and make new versions with new pictures of the sprites that didn't have pictures before.
Oh, and releasing it like that will allow people to report bugs to you which will allow you to get a final release sooner. Ever think about that? >_>

Treeki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
VashTS said:
Thanks for the update Treeki, I am looking forward to the release. This thread has gotten out of control. Are any of the testers planning on releasing some vids to show off any of the final features? I would love to see a "how it works" video and an after shot as well. That would be awesome. Hope it goes well dude and again thanks for the work.

If there are any new ones, can someone post a link to some new custom levels? I seen the pirate ship one.
If it goes as planned, Reggie will be released very soon, so there's not much point in new videos
wink.gif

I don't think any new custom levels have been released yet - almost all of them are for Newer.

Here's a really old level I made back in December: http://treeki.shacknet.nu/01-02_redcoinlevel.arc - It's pretty glitchy and quite short, but it's fairly fun to play through once (even if just to see what can be done). It also uses a pretty interesting gimmick where you have to collect red coins to open the exit.

Due to the bugs, you might have to try to collect each red coin a few times (just keep jumping around within the area where it's located - especially for the airborne ones) in order for it to register properly. Now I know what was wrong.. but it's an old level, and I don't have time to fix it right now.

edit: Oh hey, it looks like some trolls came out while I was writing this post. Go back under your bridge.
smile.gif

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Treeki said:
edit: Oh hey, it looks like some trolls came out while I was writing this post. Go back under your bridge.
smile.gif
...We were not trolling. (Or at least I wasn't, not for sure about Deadly, but he most likely wasn't either)

Jose_Gallardo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Treeki said:
Here's a really old level I made back in December: http://treeki.shacknet.nu/01-02_redcoinlevel.arc - It's pretty glitchy and quite short, but it's fairly fun to play through once (even if just to see what can be done). It also uses a pretty interesting gimmick where you have to collect red coins to open the exit.

Just tried it out. Pretty clever using the Red (in my case, black) coins to trigger those platforms. The airborn one was pretty annoying, but fun at the same time. Used THIS method to load the file.

Pop006

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
F**K the haters, if people are not patient enough to wait for this app to be relesed in its completed form, they should not use it. DeadlyFoez, just because you have one way of viewing things does not make it the only way. If treeki never announced this project i would not be a tester, theNewer Project would not be 5% as far as it is now...

Tell me you arn't gonna use Reggie! or play Newer! once it comes out!
You Are An Idiot.

Fuzzi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Pop006 said:
F**K the haters, if people are not patient enough to wait for this app to be relesed in its completed form, they should not use it. DeadlyFoez, just because you have one way of viewing things does not make it the only way. If treeki never announced this project i would not be a tester, theNewer Project would not be 5% as far as it is now...

Tell me you arn't gonna use Reggie! or play Newer! once it comes out, your an idiot.
I agree, and I also probably would never of found out about this if Treeki never posted about it.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DeadlyFoez said:
No trolls here. There is no hating on my end. I have a lot of respect for the 15 year old treeki. I am twice his age and not able to nearly accomplish as much as he can in this feild. Much respect to you man. But no matter what, hype and delays and more hype hurts the image no matter what. Lesson to be learned.

Seriously, No one knows about my secrets that I will unvail that will throw this community through a loop, but I am smarter to keep my mouth shut until the time is right.
So... you're saying that announcing you're working on something but not giving access to it is bad?

...Pot, meet Kettle.

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
DeadlyFoez said:
No trolls here. There is no hating on my end. I have a lot of respect for the 15 year old treeki. I am twice his age and not able to nearly accomplish as much as he can in this feild. Much respect to you man. But no matter what, hype and delays and more hype hurts the image no matter what. Lesson to be learned.

Seriously, No one knows about my secrets that I will unvail that will throw this community through a loop, but I am smarter to keep my mouth shut until the time is right.
So... you're saying that announcing you're working on something but not giving access to it is bad?

...Pot, meet Kettle.
No.

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
DeadlyFoez said:
toejam316 said:
Here's a surprise - DeadlyFoez, the troll (Yes, I'm calling you a troll again) is talking smack about someone who's trying to help the community out by developing a damn fine looking app.

I'm genuinely amused that he hasn't been banned.
Dude, dont start with me, mr 37 posts, as opposed to me with so many of my posts actually helping people. I am far from a troll. I'm just tired of the hype. Have you done anything to help people in this community...Yeah, I didn;t think so. So dont even DARE call me a troll. You're asking for trouble that you can not handle by saying that shit.

OK, Treekie. I will wait even further. I still dont understand why it has been released to others who have used it to build levels, but I guess you have your reasons. I'm being impatient. I want to see good things come sooner than later.

I have my opinion, but thats ok, I'm entitled to my opinion and I'm not the first person to feel soured by this hype.

I'm sorry, but if some 15 year old can't handle or hold up to the hype he creates then he should get with the program and learn the things of the real world. GBAtemp is not all about highschool BS. If someone can't hold up to what they say then they should go back to learning the turtle that they teach in highschool. GBAtemp is not the place for people to draw out bullshit and I'm not the first to say it. Trust me, the REAL hackers of the wii have graduated a LONG time ago and are not some kiddies looking for recognition.

Settle down. You're overly aggressive and you fish for a response in an attempt to prove yourself right, and upset others. That is trolling. As for the 37 posts thing, more then half of my 37 posts have been helpful - so I probably have a few more HELPFUL posts then you. Also, note my join date. Just because I'm not a rampant spammer unlike you doesn't mean I don't keep up to date on things. If you were "tired of the hype" you'd, like any sane adult (which you claim to be), IGNORE IT UNTIL IT ENDED. No one is coming to you specifically saying "OH MY GOD YOU NEED TO READ AND POST IN THE REGGIE THREAD" so you don't need to damn well do it. Furthermore, I'm amused by your need to resort to threats and profanity in an attempt to drive away logical retorts.

And yes, you WILL wait further, as that's your only option, and considering your attitude, you should be glad that there isn't a way for Treeki to disable your access to the app, or else it'd probably be used. Your opinion is just that, your opinion KEEP IT TO YOURSELF IF IT ISN'T USEFUL.

And a 15 year old can (and is) handling the hype he's created - he just wasn't expecting it. You're the one demanding he release something he's pouring his own free time into for your own gains, as if you have a RIGHT to this application. I would gladly suggest that upon creating a final release, Treeki delay the release for 2 weeks and allow people early access during this period for a $10 fee. It'd teach people like you that other people's work has a cost, and someone has to pay it.

Finally, this isn't Wii hacking. You're horribly misinformed if you believe it is. The closest Treeki would have needed to come to Wii code would be disassembly and/or reverse engineering to work out the level formatting - not exactly developing an exploit.

I highly suggest you return to your bridge, so you can attempt to prey on some more 14 year olds with no money, who try to pirate Wii games, brick their Wiis, and come here looking for help.

Now then, back to the topic at hand - why not (instead of releasing a final version of Reggie!) release a RC that you deem suitable for release - I'm sure that within the first few weeks even WITH your beta testing a flurry of bugs will be found (after all, most modern software has that same issue) - It'd let you make a rock solid final release, then you will have less maintenance to do on the standing codebase when and if you decide to add new features. Edit: Although in hind sight it'd just be a different name wouldn't it.

Oh, also, have you found any possible ways to create your own powerups? Obviously it'd require making all the models and things, but would it be feasible do you think?

NeonTogepi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Checked this thread every so often since November. Anyways, could you by any chance put like a list of what you need to get done before the release? Don't want to rush you or anything, but I think you've that it would be out soon a few times.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
NeonTogepi said:
Checked this thread every so often since November. Anyways, could you by any chance put like a list of what you need to get done before the release? Don't want to rush you or anything, but I think you've that it would be out soon a few times.

Inserting images for sprites and a few bugfixes.

jceggbert5

Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.
Trophies
Website
romhaxor.bplaced.net
XP
Country
United States
NeonTogepi said:
+1
I agree, that would be a good idea, and it could calm some people down...

yellowperil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I would say some of the issues are as below, and this has caused more frustration than anything.

1 - Announced to early
2 - Saying when its done its done, nothing like not committing to people after you have done step 1.
3 - Keep saying it will be soon. Just say it will be released in expected release + 6 months, that way people will come back in that time.
4 - Use proper naming conventions, CLOSED BETA, OPEN BETA, RC -Release Candiate, This means its fraking released to everyone, not just beta testers.

Really I have been following this thread for a very long time, and literally registered to reply to this thread, you have put yourself in this position, being a programmer and professional beta tester for longer than you have been alive (20+ years), I have seen this happen over and over again. Fir enough you want to hype your product, but really what you have done here is just lead alot of people on for way to long.

You should have just said its around 6 months away, and then release it early, people would have been content with that, not a SOON, which could be next week, or the week after for the last 3 months.

I am just making an observation here, but really use proper naming conventions (dont call something a RC when it isnt one), and give people more credit if its going to take longer than you think, people wont complain if you say 2-3 months, but saying soon, man your just asking for grief.

Anyways lessons learned here, I hope you have learned from it.

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
yellowperil said:
I would say some of the issues are as below, and this has caused more frustration than anything.

1 - Announced to early
2 - Saying when its done its done, nothing like not committing to people after you have done step 1.
3 - Keep saying it will be soon. Just say it will be released in expected release + 6 months, that way people will come back in that time.
4 - Use proper naming conventions, CLOSED BETA, OPEN BETA, RC -Release Candiate, This means its fraking released to everyone, not just beta testers.

Really I have been following this thread for a very long time, and literally registered to reply to this thread, you have put yourself in this position, being a programmer and professional beta tester for longer than you have been alive (20+ years), I have seen this happen over and over again. Fir enough you want to hype your product, but really what you have done here is just lead alot of people on for way to long.

You should have just said its around 6 months away, and then release it early, people would have been content with that, not a SOON, which could be next week, or the week after for the last 3 months.

I am just making an observation here, but really use proper naming conventions (dont call something a RC when it isnt one), and give people more credit if its going to take longer than you think, people wont complain if you say 2-3 months, but saying soon, man your just asking for grief.

Anyways lessons learned here, I hope you have learned from it.

You've got the naming conventions right - but a RC is a Release Candidate which means it's feature locked and will not have any major changes made - if any serious issues appear they will be fixed, minor issues will be fixed whereas possible and otherwise it will go RTM (Release to Manafacturer) or in this case, be released. I do like how you based your observation on how Microsoft has had open tests for their RCs of windows of late though, but a "Professional Beta Tester" should know this. And thus your argument crumbles.

yellowperil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Every company does a beta differently, so my argument doesn't crumble, I have beta's for many large organisations for internal and external software products, don't usually beta OS as these are pretty run of the mill stuff.

One thing I will say is that no one place will use the same damn naming conventions, and its a royal pain in the ass, when they say gold release (RTM), etc. The reason why I posted is it gets my goat that people use all these buzz words, and that's what they are buzz words that give there product some form of stamp of readiness, and they are used completely wrongly.

Friend and Family (more internal testing pre alpha)
Alpha (advanced internal testing, maybe some external testers)
Closed Beta (advanced internal testing, increased external testers)
Open Beta (getting close to release status, but open to everyone that applies)
Release Candidate (Not really a beta test as such, more a mass test, stress test over many platforms, only serious bugs will be addressed)
GOLD (RTM) (On the shelves for sale)

then other crappy buzzwords used.

Please feel free to add your thoughts, but from my experience this is usually the path taken some company just use version numbers and don't bother with the naming crap.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
yellowperil said:
Please feel free to add your thoughts, but from my experience this is usually the path taken some company just use version numbers and don't bother with the naming crap.

LULZ, Betas before RC1 were called "3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13". Beta 14 is the RC1, And 15 will probably be the released one.

toejam316

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
yellowperil said:
Every company does a beta differently, so my argument doesn't crumble, I have beta's for many large organisations for internal and external software products, don't usually beta OS as these are pretty run of the mill stuff.

One thing I will say is that no one place will use the same damn naming conventions, and its a royal pain in the ass, when they say gold release (RTM), etc. The reason why I posted is it gets my goat that people use all these buzz words, and that's what they are buzz words that give there product some form of stamp of readiness, and they are used completely wrongly.

Friend and Family (more internal testing pre alpha)
Alpha (advanced internal testing, maybe some external testers)
Closed Beta (advanced internal testing, increased external testers)
Open Beta (getting close to release status, but open to everyone that applies)
Release Candidate (Not really a beta test as such, more a mass test, stress test over many platforms, only serious bugs will be addressed)
GOLD (RTM) (On the shelves for sale)

then other crappy buzzwords used.

Exactly, you've got it right. Now think about it - do the companies "you work for" say "Yep, this code is looking ready for production use, lets give it away!" and release it to all prospective customers? NO! They take the code, release it to their testers and maybe some people who will be using it in a production environment to ensure nothing breaks, then if nothing breaks they'll take that RC and make it their RTM code, which they'll then distribute properly.

skawo96 said:
QUOTE(yellowperil @ Feb 21 2010, 09:56 AM) Please feel free to add your thoughts, but from my experience this is usually the path taken some company just use version numbers and don't bother with the naming crap.

LULZ, Betas before RC1 were called "3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13". Beta 14 is the RC1, And 15 will probably be the released one.

He and I are talking about the production of applications in general.

yellowperil

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
In most cases the stuff I test wont even be known about beta wise until its virtually on the doorstep to being Gold.

To many companies have had the issue of mentioning beta, and then an influx of interest and people wanting to be on the beta, when in fact the product is nowhere near ready for a beta in the sense that people will be able to use it.
Past experience has shown that the longer people know about a beta going on, the more frustration and bad press it will get, the longer it is delayed.
Making it known as well you have internal beta testers, and everyone else isn't invited really goats more people than winning them over.

Just don't ever mention the B word EVER....
Never tell other people that its being tested by other people.
Never release images of stuff you can do with it, say they are conceptual images.

Mention the B word when its 1-4 weeks away.
That is when you release screen shots.

If you do things in the wrong order, you usually get threads like this one, and if you had to pay for the product keeping your audience happy is priority one, I feel if this had been a commercial product it would have lost a lot of potential customers.

And this is the problem, just because its free doesn't give the dev's the right to become all mighty(not that I am saying this is the case, I am just making an observation from other beta's I have been on), a community is built on good relations, frustrating your community doesnt help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)