Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fivex said:
vashgs said:
xxJoesusxx said:
Stupid Question, haven't read all 69 pages. But when Reggie is released, is it going to be possible through homebrew to play these levels on our actual consoles ?

If so, how are you planning to go about that ?

If you'd like support for USB Loaders/softmods, you can use the save injector in Tanooki to load custom stages from Reggie!

I don't support piracy, though. Buy this wonderful game.
USB loader =/= piracy.

Hahahahaha, great point, unless it is to back up your own games to preserve their wellbeing.
wink.gif

aml435

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure that earlier in the thread they also said it will still be possible to inject the stages into an iso with wiiscrubber to play them on usbloader as well.

That's how we were playing the 4 or 5 preview stages that were uploaded earlier in the thread.

Det1re

det1re.de
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
ultimatt42 said:
- Riivolution installed (not currently available AFAIK)
- Original game disc (USB loaders not supported) or hard-modded wii and DVD-R backup
- SD card with the levels/other data you want to load

Riivolution won't require an installation. It will be launchable in the Homebre Channel.

skawo96

Trophies
XP
Country
Det1re said:
ultimatt42 said:
- Riivolution installed (not currently available AFAIK)
- Original game disc (USB loaders not supported) or hard-modded wii and DVD-R backup
- SD card with the levels/other data you want to load

Riivolution won't require an installation. It will be launchable in the Homebre Channel.

You need to install an IOS and also have needed files on the SD card.

I'm pretty sure that earlier in the thread they also said it will still be possible to inject the stages into an iso with wiiscrubber to play them on usbloader as well.

That's how we were playing the 4 or 5 preview stages that were uploaded earlier in the thread.

Not always. If the custom stage is bigger than the original, the game will crash.

toxibunny

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look you guys, stop asking about USB loader. 99% of people using USB loader are using it for piracy, and it's against the spirit of the site. if you're all dead worried, don't - somebody will release an ISO of newer super mario bros or whatever, and you'll be able to play that no problem. but just cut the bullshit. Reggie isn't designed to work with USB loader, it's *designed* to work for people who have the original disc. so STFU. If you're whinging about it because you really wanted to make some awesome levels, don't worry about that either - they were most likely shit anyway.

I'd just like to say "good work, that hardworking smart 15-yr-old, and all the others working on this" - although I'd have loved to play with a beta, the 'it's not done until it's done' attitude makes a lot of sense. Take another 6 months if you like, we'll appreciate it all the more after a long wait, and it'll give me a chance to buy a new video card that runs dolphin properly.

Yours sincerely,
Some quarter-sarcastic 34-yr-old pirate wanker who just signed up to this site to say how awesome reggie will be when it's done.

Delta517

Its okay...Im a ninja ;)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
toxibunny said:
Look you guys, stop asking about USB loader. 99% of people using USB loader are using it for piracy, and it's against the spirit of the site. if you're all dead worried, don't - somebody will release an ISO of newer super mario bros or whatever, and you'll be able to play that no problem. but just cut the bullshit. Reggie isn't designed to work with USB loader, it's *designed* to work for people who have the original disc. so STFU. If you're whinging about it because you really wanted to make some awesome levels, don't worry about that either - they were most likely shit anyway.

I'd just like to say "good work, that hardworking smart 15-yr-old, and all the others working on this" - although I'd have loved to play with a beta, the 'it's not done until it's done' attitude makes a lot of sense. Take another 6 months if you like, we'll appreciate it all the more after a long wait, and it'll give me a chance to buy a new video card that runs dolphin properly.

Yours sincerely,
Some quarter-sarcastic 34-yr-old pirate wanker who just signed up to this site to say how awesome reggie will be when it's done.

+rep
tongue.gif

mariobros1

Trophies
Website
mariouniverse.co.cc
XP
Country
toxibunny said:

Yours sincerely,

That was completely unnecessary...

Dteyn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
toxibunny said:

Yours sincerely,
coolstorybrooptomized.png

vashgs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
toxibunny said:

Yours sincerely,

+1
smile.gif

Zmanattack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vashgs said:
toxibunny said:

Yours sincerely,

+1
smile.gif

i'll take your +1 and raise you +100. well said sir haha

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
damn I hope this comes out soon, I have a feeling the Newer SMB Wii is going to be sweet. I want to design my own levels too, I'm planning on putting a lot of work into a nice game which I've always wanted to do just too lazy to work on it.

Is Reggie going to be really user friendly or will it be complex? Or possibly a merger of the two?
Usually power comes with complexity. But not always.

You want to see long times between releases look at the emulation scene. There be some long time delayed releases in that thar sector of the nets.

Bumpman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
toxibunny said:
Look you guys, stop asking about USB loader. 99% of people using USB loader are using it for piracy, and it's against the spirit of the site.
No, not really.

Treeki

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gibraltar
VashTS said:
Is Reggie going to be really user friendly or will it be complex? Or possibly a merger of the two?
Usually power comes with complexity. But not always.Depends on what you want to do. The basic editor is quite user friendly, but some features are not as easy as they could be (due to the game's limitations) like setting up specific sprites. Events in particular are a pain if you don't understand how they work.

I've tried to design the editor so that it's easy to use for new users but also has a lot of tricks (like keyboard shortcuts) for more advanced users to design levels quicker. My main goal is that the editor shouldn't stop advanced users from doing whatever they want to do - for example, many sprites have unused properties; Reggie lets you modify the raw hex data in addition to using the property fields.

But it also stops you from doing things which have no use, and where you'll just shoot yourself in the foot (like placing a zone at an X/Y position smaller than 16,16 which will just cause the game to glitch up very badly). I still need to look for the code that handles camera modes and figure out what exactly it's doing.. (that's the only other main problem which usually breaks levels)

QUOTE(VashTS @ Feb 5 2010, 03:06 AM) You want to see long times between releases look at the emulation scene. There be some long time delayed releases in that thar sector of the nets.
Yeah, I don't really pay attention to that stuff but I've seen programs which have taken far longer to be released. Reggie is not exactly a trivial app (8916 lines of code in my current copy; now spread between two code files!) and has taken a lot of work to get where it is.

It's been a bit since I last worked on the editor, because I've been working on reverse-engineering the game (hence finding out about stuff like the rotating doors) and also suffering from burnout from working on NSMBWii so long.

I finally got back to working on Reggie today, and I've fixed a lot of the long-standing bugs in the editor and added a few minor features which were needed (like being able to choose tilesets with a different filename from the originals).

Also, bug Tempus about finishing the batch editing
tongue.gif

(Yes, I went there)

junker_man32

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zmanattack said:
vashgs said:
toxibunny said:

Yours sincerely,

+1
smile.gif

i'll take your +1 and raise you +100. well said sir haha
yay! good thing i bought a REAL copy...too frustrating with the downloaded one with cios and shit....so i gave up and gave my money to BIG N.

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Here's some news on our work of decoding the usage of sprites.

360 Completed sprites. This is defined by a few things. 1. All of the obvious values are figured out. You can use it any way the game uses it. 2. Most of the more subtle values are figured out, but sometimes, it's just not obvious why a value is set. Instead of ripping our hair out over something that doesn't seem to affect anything, it's marked with No visible change, and skipped. 3. Any unused sprite that clearly does not function in a manner that would let it be used in anyone's level. There are some almost-working but textureless platforms out there, but really, it's not recommended. These are marked as "Incomplete Sprite / Platform" and can essentially be ignored.

100 Incomplete sprites. This is defined as a sprite that is used by Nintendo in their levels, and has values that we don't know what they do. We still have sprites like Cheep Cheeps and Bullet Bill Launchers, and a few more vague things like the Auto-Scrolling Controller, that need a lot of work to make them usable. These are the sprites that we are trying our best to figure out for you guys.

23 Beta / Unused sprites. This is defined by any sprite that is not used in Nintendo's levels that may actually serve a useful purpose.

Possible values have been data-mined and written into both the Incomplete sprites and the Beta sprites. Once Reggie is launched, there should be a spot on a website for folks to help contribute information about the values that are still listed as Unknown.

pzyro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
toxibunny said:
Reggie isn't designed to work with USB loader, it's *designed* to work for people who have the original disc. so STFU.

really? I though reggie was designed to edit NSMB wii levels.
tongue.gif

nikeymikey

This is now a Spiderman thread.........
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Its ok designing this to work with the real disc only, but unfortunately you are excluding, i think, the majority of Mario players. From what i can gather most people on this site seem to have a pirated copy from the net. Hell most people had finished the game within a few days of the BCA fix being released, and as far as i can remember, the retail copy wasn't even out yet.

It don't matter anyway because someone will patch this to work with USB, sooner or later.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: My ping times even lol