Hacking REDnand boot failure - Luma issue?

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
UPDATE:

Formatted the card and I am ready to Complete RedNAND Setup. I noticed that when I initiate the process the first line says "File starter.bin was not found continuing without autosetup..." I can still opt to continue the process. Is this my red flag??

Just going to say this

If after all this, you still have booting issues

Try to install another CFW like CakesFW

That solved my issue with booting in Luma

Spadra27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just going to say this

If after all this, you still have booting issues

Try to install another CFW like CakesFW

That solved my issue with booting in Luma
I would appreciate hearing how you set it up.

My update is after completing a format on the SD card and running through the Plailect guide from Part1 I still had the same result. I just installed Cake but noticed the options are obviously different.

Thanks everyone for all your input!

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi gkoelho, thanks for joining the discussion. I am fairly sure I am not in RedNAND/EmuNAND. It was my understanding the menuhax config for booting into Homebrew was dependent on you being in SysNAND. Or am I misinterpreting CFW and your question?

Menuhax can(depending on what you has configured it for) coldboot directly on Emunand\Rednand so already running Luma. If you sysnand and rednand has nothing diferrent from one another is fairly easy to confuse them. If thats the case, then you are trying to open a CFW inside a CFW, which black screens.

Spadra27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Menuhax can(depending on what you has configured it for) coldboot directly on Emunand\Rednand so already running Luma. If you sysnand and rednand has nothing diferrent from one another is fairly easy to confuse them. If thats the case, then you are trying to open a CFW inside a CFW, which black screens.

Gkoelho,

That clears up my confusion. Thank you for the explanation! My question now would be how to distinguish between the two or go through EmuNAND9 and assign one to cold boot?

On my last run through the installation process I noticed I have REDNAND installed but Luma boots into what I am assuming is SYSNAND. So step in the right direction not getting the black screen but I am assuming I am not pointing to Red in Luma. Is that possible?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gkoelho,

That clears up my confusion. Thank you for the explanation! My question now would be how to distinguish between the two or go through EmuNAND9 and assign one to cold boot?

On my last run through the installation process I noticed I have REDNAND installed but Luma boots into what I am assuming is SYSNAND. So step in the right direction not getting the black screen but I am assuming I am not pointing to Red in Luma. Is that possible?
Any easy way to distinguish the two would be to change the theme on your EmuNAND so that they look different. Luma is supposed to boot RedNAND. If you change the theme of one of your NANDs, it'll be easier to see that Luma is booting into RedNAND.

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Gkoelho,

You should have a trigger to boot into Sysnand at least. So change themes or create some folders to distinguish them and report back if its not the problem

Spadra27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any easy way to distinguish the two would be to change the theme on your EmuNAND so that they look different. Luma is supposed to boot RedNAND. If you change the theme of one of your NANDs, it'll be easier to see that Luma is booting into RedNAND.
Thanks KunoichiZ, I agree I should definitely do that to distinguish between the two. My concern is at the moment Luma boots into a home screen which does not display the EMU for the version. I am not sure IF that is technically the Red or SysNAND. Once I can determine different themes will be applied for sure. There has to be a way to distinguish based on the code no?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks KunoichiZ, I agree I should definitely do that to distinguish between the two. My concern is at the moment Luma boots into a home screen which does not display the EMU for the version. I am not sure IF that is technically the Red or SysNAND. Once I can determine different themes will be applied for sure. There has to be a way to distinguish based on the code no?
Press Select when you boot into Luma and place an x by "Show current NAND in System Settings." Be warned however that leaving your emuNAND's System Settings app boots you back into sysNAND.

gkoelho

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

On luma I believe yes, I can not say for sure cause i dont use it, but there were many Cfws where you couldnt distinguish them at the first time, you need to change something and check back to see what nand got affected.

By taking what you say into account, I presume you are booting into sysnand, but you just need to get back to the config you made and check the triggers to boot into sysnand and triggers to boot into emunand, is an easy check

Spadra27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi All,

I have attempted to play around with the config. I can confirm in EmuNAND that my /emuNAND directory is populated with a RedNAND. Which is great but Luma is freezing on the config screen and Cake loads into the homepage BUT the version does not reflect EMU. Still have some things to figure out. Is it worth starting from scratch? Is that even possible after you install RedNAND/EmuNAND?

Tenshi_Okami

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Hi All,

I have attempted to play around with the config. I can confirm in EmuNAND that my /emuNAND directory is populated with a RedNAND. Which is great but Luma is freezing on the config screen and Cake loads into the homepage BUT the version does not reflect EMU. Still have some things to figure out. Is it worth starting from scratch? Is that even possible after you install RedNAND/EmuNAND?
OK, if you know you booted into EmuNAND then use Tinyformat to format the EmuNAND

Then after that, change the theme

Blue for EmuNAND
Red for SysNAND(to change it, do it in menuhax_manager)

Osmosis

Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried this with my 128GB mSD. How to fix? Use a 32GB SD instead. Setup A9LH with guide, then copy SD to PC and transfer to 64GB. Move on from there.

Spadra27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Tenshi, unfortunately after using Tiny I am unable to boot into Homebrew through the web/QR code exploit. I assumed I may have over done the sequencing. So I grabbed the older 2GB SD, cleared it setup up with the start kit files and began from step 1. I have managed to get back into Part 3.

EDIT: This was during the afternoon when I could not get into Homebrew via QR/Web my friend who I got the console from suggested I use his blue gateway cartridge to install Menuhax. I am wondering if going from a SysNAND that HAD Gateway installed on it was part of my problem to begin with. Is there anything I should be considering regarding Luma and Gateway installation with how it may have affected the SysNAND?

Last edited by Spadra27,

Spadra27

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MAJOR UPDATE!

On my hunch I started searching for threads based on Gateway and Luma compatibility issues. Turns out there are quite a few. I attempted the CIA fix from the Luma FAQ and I can NOW load into RedNAND. Should anyone else be following this because they are experiencing the same issue. The information I used can be found here. Regarding CIA file management I used NASA.

Thanks to everyone for their patience and help!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: I get what they were trying to say but what the ad actually says is "we tried to cram a ton of... +1