Recommended Hard Drive for Back-Ups and Emulators.

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by xcrimsonstormx, Jun 15, 2013.

1. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

xcrimsonstormx He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    What is the recommended HD size for the Wii I was thinking about 250GB to 500GB just not sure how big the games and files get wanting some other peoples opinions.:lol:

2. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    I think my external is 150GB, most Wii games are under 4GB, some of them are even under 1GB. I can't really talk about emulators I keep those on a 8GB SD card so yeah... I guess to answer your question, I would say either drive is probably fine?

3. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    How many games does a 150GB take I might just get that then.:huh:

4. macmanhigh

macmanhigh THC = Truly High Caliber

Banned
    Mar 29, 2012
    United States
    BuddsVille,CA
    If U wanna have BackUps & Emulators on 1 drive I would recommend at least 500GB so u can have a Single partition. WiiFlow is best I think for AIO setup

5. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    Hmm... not sure yet what about DVD-RW are they any good.:lol:

6. macmanhigh

Banned
    Mar 29, 2012
    United States
    BuddsVille,CA
    U can bypass HD all together and just Burn ur BackUps on Disc......That way U can also Print out Covers and whut not

7. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    Yeah true but those can get pretty expensive too what DVD should I get if I took that route.

8. macmanhigh

Banned
    Mar 29, 2012
    United States
    BuddsVille,CA
    Any DVD-RW should be fine Burned at Min speed for best results....NEVER use DVD+RW as i've heard those come up with errors alot

Remember use - not + :mthr: I usually buy em at a FRYs Electronics when they R on special 100 DVDs for like $15-20 not bad.........

9. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    Thanks for the tip I'll look it to it a little more so which would you recommend DVD's or HD

10. macmanhigh

Banned
    Mar 29, 2012
    United States
    BuddsVille,CA
    It all Depends Budd on ur preference.....I have a HD to have a Clear playing Space with my Wii As i use it for Playing & Viewing I play all my Wii,GC and Emu stuff thru WiiFlow and use WiiMC fro my Movies and Shows

Now i had my Sweet collection of BackUps i Burned and Made sum nice Cases with Custom covers :) was the Envy of my cousins and friends..."Whoa is that a Limited Edition NSMB u got there?"........But i gave em all away to my niece and nephew for their Wii they got

11. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    2 tbs all the way and stick with western digital.

macmanhigh likes this.
  12. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    Hmm... I'm just not sure I mean on one hand you have cheap upfront DVD but will cost more in the long run but then with the HD will cost a little more but work for other things as well.:unsure:

13. xcrimsonstormx
    OP

Jun 9, 2013
    United States
    The Internet
    That's a little much for me I wont be able to use that much memory I would be fine with a 250GB or a 500GB.

14. macmanhigh

Banned
    Mar 29, 2012
    United States
    BuddsVille,CA
    Like VashTS say's a HD is ur Best option in the end i think.....Setup is almost minimal now as all USB Loaders are near Flawless for registering up first time with little issue here or there

Most important is setting up ur HD correctly for all ur content to be read as intended....Theres sum nice Threads here to for AIO emulator & covers and USB troubleshooting which again should be minimal :yaywii:

15. FriskyDingo

FriskyDingo Member

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2013
    Canada
    An island in the sea
    I use a 160gb hitachi hdd thats oem in a lot of older laptops with a cheap ebay external case and it works fine.I dont see the need for a monster hard drive on the wii since games are small compared to other systems.On my 360 with Wasabi i use a 750gb hdd since you cant scrub the iso's and they can range from 6-8gb each.

16. cobleman

cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 23, 2009
    Australia
    I use a 1tb Seagate powered HDD(around 400 max games). But I back all games up to dvd-r discs (so if the HDD dies I still have the games on disc) UsbloaderGX , CFG or Wiiflow are the choices of most! Find the 1 that best suites your own preferences(I use UsbloaderGX )

17. natkoden

natkoden Not a New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Argentina
    I use a 8GB pendrive, loads pretty fast and since I play one or two games at a time, it's perfect.

Wii games are not that big, so even a 80gb disk will do.

18. atlanx

atlanx Member

Newcomer
    Mar 15, 2009
    Gambia, The
    Bavaria
    Get a 750GB or 1000GB one. You will be happy.

>>> GBATemp-Wiki : Wii USB Devices Compatibility List <<<

And always remember this:

If the Device automatically spins down due to inactivity
    Some drives are configured from the factory to automatically spindown after a set number of minutes of inactivity, which could cause issues. Configuration software is usually available to configure such devices to disable this feature.