Hacking recommended class for SDHC?

sethcathison

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
looking to buy the AceKard shortly for my son's DS XL

Is there a recommended class for an SDHC card?
i can get a Class 4 Kingston 8GB card for £5 on Amazon, would this be adequate?

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The class represents the write speed of a micro sd card. It determines the time it takes to create/save save files for games and when transferring new content into the micro sd card. What is important (and usually problematic), though, is the read speed. Without adequate read speed, most flashcart (and devices that use msd cards) malfunction, which is very problematic. The problem is that companies never supply customers with read speeds of their cards. You have to buy a card and test its read speed with some computer programs.

The best way to get a card with good read speed is to get legit ones; most illegitimate cards have crappy write speed, despite having decent class. If you're worried about right speed, Class 4 or 6 is enough.

tl;dr try getting legit cards

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have heard that the A-Data SDHC turbo series represent good value for money. They have 8GB class 10 cards on amazon for £8.55 but don't just take my word for it, check for some reviews for that range of cards. Also check what brand/class/speed of cards are reported to work with the AceKard itself.

steve1974

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i picked up a class 10 32gb for 110$ at futureshop.. tad pricey. I also got 2 16gb class 4 cards that work fine. I cant even tell the difference when gaming on the ds between the different speeds. i think class 4 cards are more then quick enough for emulators and games.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't intend to change games out often, class 4 is fine. If you get a very large card, a higher class is nice if you change out games or other media on it often just because you write to it a lot.

Highest class ratings are meant for things like digital cameras which have a high burst data write application (the faster they write, the faster you can take more shots, obviously). This (flash-cart) is a far lower-tech memory need.

If you're just going to throw games/homebrew on it once and that's it, class 4 is perfectly fine. There won't be a noticeable difference in the use of the flashcart. It just takes longer to write as others have said, compared to class 6 or 10 cards. There are very few games with save data that is larger than half a megabyte, so the difference shouldn't be noticeable at all for just playing games.

For what it's worth, I have bought a number of ADATA memory products and they have all been top notch, benchmarked higher than their rating, and none have failed (probably 4-5 memory cards and a 120GB SATA III SSD). But my Class 10 16gb MicroSD is from PNY (it was a little cheaper than ADATA at the time of purchase).

Please remember when you get your memory card to give it a formatting with the SD Association Formatter from www.sdcard.org before putting the flashcart's kernel on it and adding the games. The formatter built into Windows don't treat SD cards any differently from any other mass storage device (which is bad, because it is different by specification).

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I had a lot of microsd that went thru my hand and I had tested everyone of them. Few things to look at here.
1. Stay away from class 2 and card with no class.
2. The brand is more important than the class. The class is only indicative for the minimum speed. Generally if you buy a better brand you will get Higher speed and 'no name' brand will get you only what you pay for. Among the best brands are sandisk, transcend and verbatim.
You can get a class 4 that is faster than a class 6.
3.If you buy from ebay and amazon you will get a fake. Go back to 2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-