Rechargable Batteries for Gameboy Advance with backlight mod

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by timbo81, Feb 19, 2014.

1. timbo81
    OP

timbo81 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2014
    Sheffield
    I am about to modify my AGB-001 with a backlit AGS-101 screen. Could anyone please tell me which rechargable AA batteries would be best to use once the modification is complete?

I have my eye on some rechargable Energizer 2300mAH NiMH batteries but I'm not 100% sure they would be ok.

Thanks.

2. Yepi69

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    Energizer ones or Duracell, those Energizer are quite good, 2300mAH.

3. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    does it really matter? recharchable batteries eventually all get bad because most rechargers are terrible (they overcharge or undercharge, they speed charge and heat the batteries up)

obviously you wont do anything wrong with energizers, at least for the time being, but depending on your rechargers, you might end up throwing lots of money at those over time compared to like, a store brand or something.

4. timbo81
    OP

timbo81 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2014
    Sheffield
  5. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 2, 2009
    Gambia, The
    I had one of those back in the day, they were comfortable enough to use but eventually they ended up only holding a 15 minute charge after a year or two. i mostly used mine plugged into the charger when i was at home. I guess on a backlit gba, the charge would run out fast in general. In addition to that, those things are old by now, which is never good for a battery pack. But if you dont mind the cord, it would probably work for indoor play

6. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    [​IMG]
    *this applies to most other Mad Katz products also*

7. timbo81
    OP

timbo81 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2014
    Sheffield
    I think I will stay away from the Mad Catz product then. Not sure what I will go with but thanks for giving me something to consider.

On another point I just went down the local Cash Converters and found a Gameboy Advance (AGB-001) for £2.00, they said it wasn't reading cartridges, but for £2.00 i decided to take a chance, it may just need a deep clean. If I can't get it to work then I can use the parts.

8. Cartmanuk

Cartmanuk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 20, 2010
    The Backlit mod doesn't use much more power.
    Here are the batteries you want.

9. timbo81
    OP

timbo81 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2014
    Sheffield
    thanks for the link

10. Adil

Adil Member

Newcomer
    Jan 8, 2013
    London
    How long these batteries last? anyone done some tests?