Hey! Hey! Oh!
Trophies
Website
www.flickr.com
XP
Country
United States
As for graphic novels:

The Watchmen is amazing. Easily one of the best I've ever read. They are planning on making it into a movie in the next few years, but they've said that before.

My favorite for manga is Nausicaa. It's written by Hayao Miyazaki (Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc.), who is apparently incapable of writing a bad story.

As for full on novels:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is of course my favorite. Just act like the latest movie doesn't exist, it doesn't even begin to give the books justice. Pure sci-fi comedic gold.

And possibly a tie for my favorite book is House of Leaves. I really cannot sum up the amount of how amazing this book is. Most certainly the most unique book I've ever read. Just make sure you look at this picture to see an example of how weird some of the pages in that book are. Hollywood has been on this guy for years to make a movie of it, but he always turns it down (thankfully). I honestly don't think it is possible to make into a film.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The following books I had to read for summer reading that suck ass:

Vector, by Robin Cook
And Then There Were None, byAgatha Christie
The Bookseller of Kabul, by Asne Arhakjgkslsajg

Avoid them.

megatron_lives

Trophies
Website
www.enthalpynet.co.uk
XP
Country
I've picked up my old Lovecraft collection after graduation and having too much free time on my hands, am working through it; just read -

At The Mountains Of Madness, The Call Of Cthulhu, Beyond The Wall Of Sleep etc. and my all time favourite The Shadow Over Innsmouth

I guess I'd recommend this stuff - but I'm not much of a reader, I just know what I like.

Also reading Kazuo Ishiguro's The Remains Of The Day under recommendation from a friend studying his English A-levels.

Incidentely, anyone know a decent author to pursue after Lovecraft? I love the genre, but I am ignorant of it's masters

Peace

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think everyone should read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho at least once in their lifetime (I already did it twice). Makes you think about a lot of stuff and reconsider wich values you are living for.
Ah, I second that wonderful recommendation! Read it way back in Freshman year of H.S., great book about soul searching and such.

nloding

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susan Clarke
His Dark Materials Trilogy by Phillip Pullman
Sandman comics, American Gods, Stardust by Neil Gaiman
The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub
1984 by George Orwell

Whoever mentioned The Watchmen by Alan Moore -- fuckin' brilliant. For a not-violent, not-fantasy graphic novel, check out Blankets ... really frickin' good too.

Those are all fantastic. I can always think of more. I LOVE reading.

Taras

I'm Not Hating, I'm Just Sayin'
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Read "Extrordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds" by Charles Mackay to realize how we're collectively screwed because of economic mishandling. Then realize that current capital imbalances in the world market are larger than any before realized in the history of finance. And maybe it's coming unraveled before your eyes.

cubin'

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE([M) said:
artin,Aug 15 2007, 01:27 AM]
I think everyone should read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho at least once in their lifetime (I already did it twice). Makes you think about a lot of stuff and reconsider wich values you are living for.

Ah, I second that wonderful recommendation! Read it way back in Freshman year of H.S., great book about soul searching and such.

hrmm might grab this from the library.

I just finished harry potter
wub.gif

before that Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by hunter s

200px-Fear_and_Loathing_in_Las_Vegas.jpg

both were very good
wink2.gif

"San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run . . . but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant. . . .

You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark — that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

Dee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Finished reading Overclocked by Cory Doctorow a couple of weeks ago. Read his book Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town last year. Both were great reads, the former being a collection of sci-fi shorts, the latter being an off-the-wall fantasy.

I found out after reading his books that he's a co-founder of Boing Boing, a fellow Canuck, and that he releases his work under creative commons so you can download his work from his website.

Highly recommended.

MC DUI

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I just finished reading the Steve Alten MEG triology.

Really good books! I'm a sucker for books about prehistoric creatures and giant sharks are awesome!
grog.gif

He is bringing out another MEG novel sometime the summer of 08, and they are currently in negotiation about making the first novel into a fully featured film, which would totally rock if done correctly with good CGI.

3.jpg

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
I would really reccomend the stephen king novels
they keep me on the edge of my seat the whole time
i do find he has a bit of a slow biuldup, but when he starts he just keeps getting better and better

try misery or the shining

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: im playing fortnite rn and just got rsn over by a car