OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I just finished reading a book I had to do for school.
It was The Outsiders by S.C. Hinton.
It was really good. About the story of the west side versus the east side.
One side was Greasers - poor, greasy haired juveniles
One side was rich folks (known as the socials)

It was a really good book, and if you haven't read it - I recommend it.
Though it's short (bout 180 pages), it's worth every dime.

I plan on picking up the old Harry Potter books as I have completely no clue as to what's going on now, and the movies suckz0r.

I also recently read Fallen Angels - A vietnamese war story. Pretty good.

Also I read Red Pony by Steinbeck - about a boy and his horse, it sucks. Big time.

What have you read any books lately? If it's comics that's OK too.

slightlyaskew

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Comics/Graphic Novels;

Fables series by Bill Willingham
All the characters from Fairy Stories exiled in modern day new york.

Powers series by Brian Bendis & Michael Oeming
In a world of super heroes, even the 'powers' need policing...

Books;

I HATE Potter. However, I can reccommend;

The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudy Canavan (fantasy, duh)
Any books by Robert Rankin (insane comedy sci-fi)
Any books by Tom Holt (clever comedy, often with a sci-fi edge)

Enjoy.

edit: as you're at school and I'm aware some American parents dislike naughty things, almost all of the above involve naughty words and or naked adults possibly giving each other 'special hugs'.

gov78

Ha made you Look
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
28 Days Later Aftmath - Its a graphic noval about how the "Rage Virus" and what happend between and after the rage virus hit england. its got 5 short stories it pretty cool and the art works awsome good for people who like the movie to as it clears alot of stuff up.

i dont know if u like manga but i was reading Shamo - basically a really dark version of karate kid about a kid who stabs his mother and father to death gets sent to a youth jail for stabbing them and starts to learn martial art from a convicted assasin who tried to kill a mayor or somthing in japan.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Yo mthr has your kids started school yet?
Not proper, but I'm schoolin' 'em every day. Trying to get those short and long vowels down pat right now. Early next month is when kindergarten starts full-time for my oldest.

helpme

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
a great book to read is philip pullman - His Dark Materials trilogy good for any age IMHO
but im reading at the moment Return of the Archwizards trilogy Forgotten Realms
ive got a huge collection of Forgotten Realms & Dragonlance books if i had the money i would collect them all........

JPH

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Yo mthr has your kids started school yet?

Not proper, but I'm schoolin' 'em every day. Trying to get those short and long vowels down pat right now. Early next month is when kindergarten starts full-time for my oldest.

That's sweet.
biggrin.gif

Hooked On Phonics helped me out really well. I don't know if they still have that.

Believe it or not: I knew all my ABCs when I started kindergarten.

4ppleseed

Trophies
XP
Country
3/4 into Scott McCloud's 'Making Comics: Storytelling Secrets of Comics, Manga and Graphic Novels'

And it's awesome. I don't even read comics and it's great! haha.

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I recently read The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. Fantastic book, superb and exciting story, great writing, a joy to read. I was sad when I completed the book because I wanted more. I liked it so much that I'd choose to read that book instead of playing my fav DS game anytime.

015600131401lzzzzzzzes5.jpg

I also read Papillon and Banco! which were pretty good.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh god, I haven't picked up a book (like, the ones without pictures
nyanya.gif
) since school ended. The last book we read there was One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. God, I loved it.
happy.gif

Currently I'm reading up on some Kingdom Hearts manga, partially for artistic inspiration (Shiro Amano's chibi-like stylings) and partially because I haven't picked up a manga in about 4 years.

I also recommend picking up some of the Metal Gear Solid graphic novels, illustrated by the amazing Ashley Wood (his artistic style is mindblowing!). I think he's working on illustrating Tank Girl currently.

Fondue

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I, uh... didn't know they still made books.

Actually, a few years ago (7 or so I would say.), I read a pretty good book. (Cannot remember what it was.) I remember thinking, "Wow, books are pretty cool." Then, I tried to find another good book, but never really did, and I forgot about books in general.

I did however read all of the Harry Potter books. (Except for the last one. I am having a hell of a time finding it.) Before, I was in Japan, and the harry potter books were the only english books in the school library, so I jumped on them. (And skipped Ancient Chinese Language Study class. (It actually took me 2 weeks before I figured out what that class was about.)) I never would have read those books under any other circumstances. (Unless I was in China under similar circumstances, but whatever.)

Now, I came back to Japan for the summer, and I cannot find the last harry potter book anywhere. I need entertainment for the plane ride back. Looks like I might have to break down and play DS.
grog.gif

On Topic: ...try to find that book I read 7 years ago. I cannot remember the name, or really what it was about, but it was pretty good. Maybe try google?
ph34r.gif

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think everyone should read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho at least once in their lifetime (I already did it twice). Makes you think about a lot of stuff and reconsider wich values you are living for. Also, if you are into Psychology, you should read Emotional intelligence by Danniel Goleman great book that opened my eyes to how people are constantly communicating stuff through their emotions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pump the chocolate into my veins