Homebrew [Re-release] BootCtr - A simple boot manager for 3DS

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i don't know who or where to ask this but is it possible to use menuhax autoboot to boot rxtools with linked nands without bootloop?
i have a friend who refuses to unlink nands and for some reason also can't manage to hold down a button at the right time.
i just wanted to double check somewhere before giving up on him.
As you said, they need to hold the button down at the right time.

m45t3r

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
i don't know who or where to ask this but is it possible to use menuhax autoboot to boot rxtools with linked nands without bootloop?
i have a friend who refuses to unlink nands and for some reason also can't manage to hold down a button at the right time.
i just wanted to double check somewhere before giving up on him.
For linked NANDs the best way is to actually disable autoboot and configure menuhax to boot when pressing a button (say for example L). So he only needs to remember to turn on the console holding L, until he sees the garbage screen/menuhax logo. After that he can release the L button and everything should work correctly.

If he wants to boot anything else than [DEFAULT] with BootCtr, he just needs to wait until the debug text screen to press the button to change his choice. It is not really difficult to get the right time in this setup, and much better than trying to get the right time with autoboot on.

However, unlinked NANDs are much better, IMO. Just the fact that you don't have the infamous present bug is a blessing.

Last edited by m45t3r,

mungry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait so the newest version of this forces you to go through a boot screen? I liked this for being a no frills straight boot, bare bones, straight to the point if you will. In my situation I have debug disabled, a black menuhax boot screen and even the ReiNand splash disabled. With this setup I go about 3 things: holding L to boot into sysnand, holding R to boot into homebrew launcher, or just watching it boot directly into emunand as if it were a normal 3DS. I think it's a little redundant and kinda killed the purpose of this imo (if you didn't configure anything you would have to go through the menuhax boot image, debug info, bootctr's boot image and then if you have reinand, reinands boot image) can you see how crazy that can get? Just sharing my opinion is all.

m45t3r

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Wait so the newest version of this forces you to go through a boot screen? I liked this for being a no frills straight boot, barebones, straight to the point if you will. In my situation I have debug disabled, a black menuhax boot screen and even the ReiNand splash disabled. With this setup I go about 3 things: holding L to boot into sysnand, holding R to boot into homebrew launcher, or just watching it boot directly into emunand as if it were a normal 3DS. I think it's a little redundant and ykinda killed the purpose of this imo (if you didn't configure anything you would have to go through the menuhax boot image, debug info, bootctr's boot image and then if you have reinand, reinands boot image) can you see how crazy that can get? Just sharing my opinion is all.
No, it doesn't. You can disable splash screen by entry by setting "splash = 0" in the desired entry, and globally by doing:
Code:
[GLOBAL]
splash = 0

However, no, I don't see this as crazy because splash screen is useful for user feedback. Let's say that there was not any splash screen, like before, and you have some problem and the boot does not work. So how can I know where the problem happened? It could be in menuhax, BootCtr or the CFW itself. However, with splash, if you see the menuhax splash however don't see BootCtr, you know that the problem is in BootCtr. If you see menuhax splash, BootCtr but not your CFW, you know that the problem happened in CFW. This is why splash screen is enabled by default, but I never forced it to anyone. If you want to disable just do what I said above.

Reactions: mungry

mungry

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, it doesn't. You can disable splash screen by entry by setting "splash = 0" in the desired entry, and globally by doing:
Code:
[GLOBAL]
splash = 0

However, no, I don't see this as crazy because splash screen is useful for user feedback. Let's say that there was not any splash screen, like before, and you have some problem and the boot does not work. So how can I know where the problem happened? It could be in menuhax, BootCtr or the CFW itself. However, with splash, if you see the menuhax splash however don't see BootCtr, you know that the problem is in BootCtr. If you see menuhax splash, BootCtr but not your CFW, you know that the problem happened in CFW. This is why splash screen is enabled by default, but I never forced it to anyone. If you want to disable just do what I said above.

Alright, thanks. I just prefer to not have any indication since I am experienced to root the problem myself. I'm just a tiny bit confused on the whole setup of this thing. In the latest release you just included a boot.3dsx, is the boot_default.3dsx not need anymore?

m45t3r

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Alright, thanks. I just prefer to not have any indication since I am experienced to root the problem myself. I'm just a tiny bit confused on the whole setup of this thing. In the latest release you just included a boot.3dsx, is the boot_default.3dsx not need anymore?
SInce v1.5, you need a "boot_config.ini" file with some [SECTIONS] set with proper "path". It does not load a "boot_default.3dsx" by default anymore, unless you set up in "boot_config.ini" (this is why in the new versions of "boot_config.ini" there is a "path = boot_default.3dsx" uncommented).

However, boot_default.3dsx was not need anyway, it was just the default if you didn't set anything. In the newer versions, you need to set something.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For linked NANDs the best way is to actually disable autoboot and configure menuhax to boot when pressing a button (say for example L). So he only needs to remember to turn on the console holding L, until he sees the garbage screen/menuhax logo. After that he can release the L button and everything should work correctly.

If he wants to boot anything else than [DEFAULT] with BootCtr, he just needs to wait until the debug text screen to press the button to change his choice. It is not really difficult to get the right time in this setup, and much better than trying to get the right time with autoboot on.

However, unlinked NANDs are much better, IMO. Just the fact that you don't have the infamous present bug is a blessing.
yeah i know i was just hoping there was a way somehow he is too stupid to know when to let go of L, and he wont let me unlink his nands because he is paranoid of loosing his eshop purchases.

Maxp0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Just passing to say Thank You soo much @m45t3r!
Now I have Yggdrasill logo (from Kamen Rider Gaim) as my boot =D
(I just wondering, a Thread about custom boot images is a good idea?)

m45t3r

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Just passing to say Thank You soo much @m45t3r!
Now I have Yggdrasill logo (from Kamen Rider Gaim) as my boot =D
(I just wondering, a Thread about custom boot images is a good idea?)
I would love to see one, however I don't know if there is that many users of BootCtr that would want to post their custom boot images.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

yeah i know i was just hoping there was a way somehow he is too stupid to know when to let go of L, and he wont let me unlink his nands because he is paranoid of loosing his eshop purchases.
Well, set a menuhax logo image with something like this:

LET THE L BUTTON GO NOW, STUPID!

I am sure it would work (and maybe you will lose a friend too in the process).

Edit: actually, you could set this logo even in BootCtr itself. The user have to release L before CFW boot, so it can be until BootCtr starts the other application.

Last edited by m45t3r,

Maxp0w

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If I have time today - tomorrow
I maybe do some images and who knows, a thread with some screens =)
( Just if I get some nice things lol)

Arab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How exactly do I set it up for HBL and Rienand. So far I got it to auto boot into Reinand but I can't get it to press any other buttons to boot into HBL.

Arab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Post your boot_config.ini.

[SPOILER="boot_config.ini]
[DEFAULT]
path = /ReiNand.dat
;delay = 2500
;offset = 0x12000
;payload = -1
;splash = 1
;splash_image =

[KEY_LEFT]
;path = /boot_hbl.3dsx
;delay = 0
[/SPOILER]

Chainhunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
[SPOILER="boot_config.ini]
[DEFAULT]
path = /ReiNand.dat
;delay = 2500
;offset = 0x12000
;payload = -1
;splash = 1
;splash_image =

[KEY_LEFT]
;path = /boot_hbl.3dsx
;delay = 0
[/SPOILER]

You probably just need to uncomment the lines under [KEY_LEFT].
Like this:

Code:
[KEY_LEFT]
path = /boot_hbl.3dsx
delay = 0

Arab

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are sure that you uncommented the path (by removing ;), you probably don't when to hold left, since it works.
Then when I do hold left? When Menuhax splash screen pops up or what?

EDIT: Figured out why it didn't work. Suppose to be [KEY_DLEFT] instead of [KEY_LEFT]

Last edited by Arab,

kiwiis

キウィイス
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm unable to get this to boot the latest Decrypt9WIP (.bin or .dat). I've tried everything including setting the offset to 0x12000 and payload to 1, made sure it points to the right file in the root of the SD card, and I get a black screen each time. Ideas?

The .3dsx version works fine, however.

m45t3r

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm unable to get this to boot the latest Decrypt9WIP (.bin or .dat). I've tried everything including setting the offset to 0x12000 and payload to 1, made sure it points to the right file in the root of the SD card, and I get a black screen each time. Ideas?

The .3dsx version works fine, however.
Works for me. You should use the .dat file, and default settings.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: hiiiiii