Re-doing the flash cart sticky.

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Rydian, Apr 10, 2011.

?

Which flash carts should be included?

1. Acekard 2.1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Acekard 2i

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. CycloDS Evolution

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. CycloDS iEvolution

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  5. DSTT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. DSTTi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. EDGE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. iEDGE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. EX4DS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. EZ-Flash Vi

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  11. iSmart MM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. iSmart Premium

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. M3 DS Real

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. M3i Zero

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  15. R4 (Wood)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. R4i Gold (Wood)

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  17. R4iDSN (Wood)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  18. Supercard DSONEi

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Supercard DSTWO

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Apr 10, 2011

Re-doing the flash cart sticky. by Rydian at 7:48 PM (3,407 Views / 0 Likes) 43 replies

1. Rydian
    OP

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    So I'm going to re-make the current "which flash cart should I get?" stickies, and focus around an updated/bigger chart. I'm choosing this route since the answer depends on the asker's needs and preferences, a chart can quickly convey which carts have which features, the user doesn't need to waste time reading reviews on carts that don't do what they need, and everybody loves charts.

Please vote on the flash carts you want to see included in the chart. I know the poll contains some unpopular flash carts, but if I don't include almost everything, people are going to find a reason to complain, 'ya know? I'll be picking just a handful to place on the chart, based on what the community perceives as the top carts... and I will be updating the chart as needed (for example if a cart gets a new firmware that adds more features, or something).

In addition, feel free to suggest new aspects of the chart, for example an "updateable bootloader" column to show which flash carts can be updated for new DS models/firmwares, and which ones require you to buy a new cart each time.

Of course each section of the cart will have an explanation, so people who see "updateable bootloader" can just scroll down and see what it actually means for them.

2. s4mid4re

Member s4mid4re  

United States
    how about add a column for customer support, team support (as in regular updates and such), and another for popularity? It's always better to know that it's an actively supported flashcart before buying. [​IMG]

3. DeathStrudel

Member DeathStrudel GBAtemp Fan

United States
    i totally agree with adding customer/team support, however I don't think popularity should ever be a factor when choosing a flash cart, or anything else for that matter

4. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    Not sure about the idea of 'popularity' - after all R4 clones are 'popular' but don't have the support

The bit about 'Team Support' is a good idea though, but how can you include that in a chart? - the chart would need updating frequently each time an Update comes out.

Instead I would suggest adding a link to somewhere like http://www.linfoxdomain.com/nintendo/ds/ with a note like
    After all - why redo something that someone else is doing already - it'll save the hassle

5. Rydian
    OP

United States
    I originally meant just if a team is dead or not, but that idea's good.

6. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    If you don't mind losing your sanity, you could cover the clone scene as well. [​IMG]

7. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™

United States
    I personally think you should cover the AK2.1 AND i, and have each in one column just noting that i has 3DS/i support. they are essentially the same cart software wise.

8. Rydian
    OP

United States
    There's also 3DS support (which is separate from DSi support for some carts), and bootloader updating (which is again separate), so they're just going to be right next to each other in the chart.

9. MaxNuker

Member MaxNuker GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute

Portugal
    i know that this might be somewhat hard to do but could you cover

M3i Zero and M3i Zero GMP-Z003 as 2 separated cards?

10. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Considering the differences will matter to a lot of people, yeah I'll do that.

11. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Perhaps 2 kinds of charts? 1 bigger chart that would include possibly all the options and then another chart that would be good for linking to topics with the "what flashcart should I get?"-idea in mind (and would include the most voted carts?).

I don't see much need to have every cart that has a normal "DS" and an "i" version to be displayed on a basic chart since that would make the chart a bit too big for real use. On the big chart all carts could be displayed if someone wanted to make a deep down search of available carts. Also considering the Team Support, could the chart(s) include a check for "Custom Firmware available" and then a reference under the chart with numbering if there are more than one. Original Team support is nice, but if there is a better kernel available (AKAIO) it should be mentioned [​IMG]

-Qtis

12. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    This talk about a larger chart.... well there IS the WIKI page of flashcard comparisons... That already has the 'Custom Firmware' section

Perhaps a new page (or perhaps the existing one) can be made/altered ??
    (Personally I would like the Wiki page to have the cards going down the side with the sections across the top

13. Rydian
    OP

United States
    A lot of people that come here don't have english as a major language (or are barely fluent), a chart with key words and colors is easier to bridge a language barrier than long explanations.

For the long differences and such there's the Wiki, and for specific issues threads, but the sticky will be for people who just want to see what's good and what has what features.

And no, I'm not going to put all 19 flash carts on there. [​IMG] The ones that differ only in DS/DSi/3DS support will have their columns merged/compacted, like so.
    [​IMG]
    (This is just a quick edit I made to show the idea.)

14. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    Linking the Wiki isn't possibly as good an option instead of having a chart image. Obviously if people had originally thought about checking the Wiki, about 90% of the Flashcart related topics would not be made [​IMG]

A second question regarding the table that came to mind is whether it's really needed to have for example the AK2.1 and AK2i in different sections? Sure it does add info for carts, but if there is no other difference except the DSi/3DS compatibility, is there need?

-Qtis

15. CherrySkitty

Member CherrySkitty GBAtemp Regular

Costa Rica
    I think you should... add a "DON'T GET THESE FLASH CARTS" section >__________________________>

coughcoughr4i-gold.comcoughcough

16. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    Meh it would probably be pointless especially with the dozens of R4 clone topics already floating around and posts within them saying DO NOT buy an R4 clone or anything R4 related... And then they go ahead, buy them, and complain later v_v.
    Even if it's in front of them, a hefty amount of users still refuse to listen/read and go along with whatever says R4 in it's title [​IMG]

Other types of clones are hard to make out sometimes also sooo yeah lol

17. Rydian
    OP

United States
    Yeah, there have been threads where people spent two pages telling the OP not to get an R4 clone, and telling them to get (insert decent flash cart here), but then the user went and picked out an R4 3DS Hyper Whatever.

18. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    The poll is misleading.

R4iDSN is no longer officially supported by Wood, as far as I know.
    Didn't YWG give them whatever Wood release was the current to get them started?

19. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    They develop their own version, but YWG supports it IIRC.

Also, I actually will make a list of clone carts (not joking)

20. Ammako

Member Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    I was pretty sure that YWG gave them a version of Wood to get them started, but that they had to rely on themselves from now on.