Rayman Origins Was Profitable After All

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayman Origins, a vibrant and charming 2D platformer, was a really, really great game (If you haven't gotten the hint, you should try it out). Unfortunately, Ubisoft decided it would be a wise decision to unceremoniously drop the game in the middle of November (in the midst of Skyrim, Modern Warfare 3, etc.).

I, and a lot of other people apparently, figured that the game was sadly destined for financial failure. However, I am pleasantly surprised to report that the game actually was profitable.

While no specific sales figures were provided (nor was the budget), the company revealed the game's profitability to investors during a conference call Wednesday morning, saying that the title "has the capacity to become a long-term seller for the company."​

Source: Gamasutra

Now, they haven't revealed much in the way of specific details (the game's budget, exact sales figures, etc.), but it's still encouraging news. It's nice to know that when developers experiment and take risks, consumers can take notice. Plus, this might be enough to convince Ubisoft to finally get serious about going forward with that whole Beyond Good & Evil sequel.

Huh, I guess we can have nice things from time to time. So, Data, care to express my feelings on the subject?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbXKP7zcjNM

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
And to think the game hasn't really begun it's journey on portable systems (Vita next week and 3DS 3-20) yet.

The game could actually be very . . . profitable.

ferengi_highlight.jpg

You got me going with the Trek reference. :P

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I really want to try this on 3DS. I'm not the biggest Rayman fan, I can't say that the games have really interested me that much. I've never bought a game, or beat one or anything, played them though. But Origins looks waaay too beautiful to pass up.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@[member='Rydian']

I searched around and found this on Joystiq from Alain Martinez, Ubisoft's chief financial officer.

"We believe Rayman: Origins, which is rated 89 percent on Metacritic with enthusiast reviews and is already profitable, has the capacity to become a long-term seller for the company."

So the game did, according to Ubisoft, pull in a profit.

triassic911

Burst Mode
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I bought this game, and I have YET to pop it into my 360. Gears takes up my time, but I will play it someday. The reviews are what persuaded me on buying it.

EDIT: Started playing it today. So much fun, especially with co-op. No online co-op though, only local.

M[u]ddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And to think the game hasn't really begun it's journey on portable systems (Vita next week and 3DS 3-20) yet.

The game could actually be very . . . profitable.

ferengi_highlight.jpg

You got me going with the Trek reference. :P
And not to forget, the PC version which will be released on March the 29th.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SpookyBaker @ SpookyBaker: btw my updated location I listed isn't exactly where I wanted it to be, but it's very close to...