BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at the other topics in this section i was curious about how powerful the NGP is supposed to be.

Also i was curious what the possibility of Emulators is? I mean of course it has to be hacked first, but hey i think these a fair chance it will eventually be hacked.
Now making the assumption from the PSP being able to emulate PSX games... is it possible to assume that the NGP might be able to emulate PS2?

This is a purely speculative thread. I have no idea what the power of the NGP is.

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It certainly is more powerful then the 3DS, for one.

And I have heard from some sources that PS2 games could actually be ported to the NGP with some effort.

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:

And I have heard from some sources that PS2 games could actually be ported to the NGP with some effort.

PS3, not PS2, and NGP games are supposed to be compatible with the PS3.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:

Haha the 3DS lol Ill get one eventually.
But even farther in the future I might get an NGP. IF it gets hacked.
Personally i only got a PSP to emulate some awesome PS1 titles and play some Patapon (and theres an EFFING 3RD ONE)
The bigger thing here is, i have a huge problem playing long long games on a console. I would have never finished FF7 if it couldnt have played it on the go.
Which is another reason i would LOVE to get an NGP So i can finally finish a game the FF12, or DQ8, or Star Ocean...

m3rox said:
QUOTE(Slyakin @ Apr 19 2011, 03:21 AM) It certainly is more powerful then the 3DS, for one.

So your telling me that the NGP is theoretically powerful enough to maybe emulate PS3 games to some level?

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BortzANATOR said:
Slyakin said:

Haha the 3DS lol Ill get one eventually.
But even farther in the future I might get an NGP. IF it gets hacked.
Personally i only got a PSP to emulate some awesome PS1 titles and play some Patapon (and theres an EFFING 3RD ONE)
The bigger thing here is, i have a huge problem playing long long games on a console. I would have never finished FF7 if it couldnt have played it on the go.
Which is another reason i would LOVE to get an NGP So i can finally finish a game the FF12, or DQ8, or Star Ocean...

m3rox said:
QUOTE(Slyakin @ Apr 19 2011, 03:21 AM) It certainly is more powerful then the 3DS, for one.

So your telling me that the NGP is theoretically powerful enough to maybe emulate PS3 games to some level?

No, porting and emulating are not the same thing.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The reason the PSP can play PSx games so well is because it mainly uses virtualization, not emulation. This has much lower requirements, but is only feasible in cases where the processor architectures are very similar.

We can of course expect the NGP to be more powerful than the PSP, but how much more so, we can't really say.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OOOhh i understand.
So the PSP was simular enough to a PSX that we were able to make it play PSX games without much overhead. interesting.

Well i still hold out hope for a PS2 portable player.

death1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say everything up to the point of N64 (and possibly the DS) is given. I'm not sure about PS2 but it'll be nice to have.

death1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
death1234 said:
I'd say everything up to the point of N64 (and possibly the DS) is given. I'm not sure about PS2 but it'll be nice to have.
If the 3DS overpowers the PS2, I'm pretty sure the NGP will as well.

Well, yeah. The NGP is obviously miles ahead of the PS2 in terms of hardware. However, if you're talking about emulation you can't be too sure. The DS never had a fully working GBA emulator even though the DS was much more powerful. Even considering that the PS2 and NGP share some similarities in terms of hardware, I wouldn't hold my breath for a fully playable PS2 emulator (would love to be proven wrong though).

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was not aware the 3DS is ahead of the PS2. Awesome. (i know that does not mean ps2 emulation lol)

Yeah the DS never could emulate the GBA, speaking of which, how is that DSi GBA emulator going?

N64 would be awesome as crap dude.

Death1234 so would i buddy. so would i.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
BortzANATOR said:
Yeah the DS never could emulate the GBA, speaking of which, how is that DSi GBA emulator going?
If you want to get pedantic, then the 3DS can emulate the PS2 because it has more RAM/storage and it's turing-complete.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turing_completeness

People really only care if you can actually play shit on it at reasonable speeds.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HA Raydian you crack me up. I understand that the DS could emulate 64 as well, but you would only play if you were doing your taxes in between frames lol

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MrCooper said:
I can't really say this for sure but from what I've seen the NGP plays some PS3 gaemz @ about 20fps which isn't bad but wouldn't that be like 4 times as much "power" as the 3DS.

Well they've run some "ports" of PS3 games on the system (they showed off MGS4 on it, for example) but those were also tailored to run well enough on the NGP, they weren't the same as the PS3 versions. Mind you, they looked pretty much identical, but it's not like the NGP is running straight-up PS3 games.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
MrCooper said:
I can't really say this for sure but from what I've seen the NGP plays some PS3 gaemz @ about 20fps which isn't bad but wouldn't that be like 4 times as much "power" as the 3DS.

Well they've run some "ports" of PS3 games on the system (they showed off MGS4 on it, for example) but those were also tailored to run well enough on the NGP, they weren't the same as the PS3 versions. Mind you, they looked pretty much identical, but it's not like the NGP isn't running straight-up PS3 games.
Well that is encouraging.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If you really want to discuss how much "power" the NGP has, just lift it up when you can finally buy one and scream "I HAVE THE POWER!".

If you will not turn into He-Man while holding this Quad-Core beast with a Quad-Core GPU that runs pretty much anything ever made for consoles (downscaled, of course, because you DON'T need massive HD graphics on a handheld - it's a matter of saving space and removing/reducing files that you won't be able to gaze upon anyways on a small screen. Smaller filesize - cheaper flash units to store it) at lighting speed despite the fact it fits in your pocket, then something is wrong with the universe.

Whether it will have a good games lib or not is debatable, but it will surely be EASIER to program for it when you don't have to worry whether your code is efficient or not.

As James Garner once said "No care for hardware". As long as you don't have to worry about efficiency, you can focus on the mechanics and other factors of the "game".

ChaosZero816

Temp's Official Random Member
Trophies
XP
Country
Foxi4 said:
If you really want to discuss how much "power" the NGP has, just lift it up when you can finally buy one and scream "I HAVE THE POWER!".

If you will not turn into He-Man while holding this Quad-Core beast with a Quad-Core GPU that runs pretty much anything ever made for consoles (downscaled, of course, because you DON'T need massive HD graphics on a handheld - it's a matter of saving space and removing/reducing files that you won't be able to gaze upon anyways on a small screen. Smaller filesize - cheaper flash units to store it) at lighting speed despite the fact it fits in your pocket, then something is wrong with the universe.

The moment this happens, Nintendo is screwed. NGP owners would pawn all 3DS/Nintendo console owners.
rofl.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me...