OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, I was just thinking...
Everybody I've seen is actually trying to hex edit the games so that they will work in a WAD. This has been disproven for one test and the other has either been canceled or will likely never come about.
So, I was thinking, why are we trying to edit the games?
Why don't we extract the ROM from an N64 game and tinker with the Nintendo emulator, and then re-inject the game?
I actually haven't read this yet, so I figured I could throw this idea out there- after all, look at where OSW's original thoughts have gone.
Thank you,
SFenton

Drihscol

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i agree. we should find out more.
i went to wiibrew to see if they had anything to say about virtual console games, and the site is down.

SilverSurfR

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Driscol said:
i went to wiibrew to see if they had anything to say about virtual console games, and the site is down.

Doubt you'll find much or get any help with VC games @ wiibrew. From what I read/understand they are strongly against piracy and copyright infringement.

jacklaidlaw

Trophies
XP
Country
SilverSurfR said:
Driscol said:

Doubt you'll find much or get any help with VC games @ wiibrew. From what I read/understand they are strongly against piracy and copyright infringement.

yes but they explain how the wii works in detail

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
QUOTE said:
Why don't we extract the ROM from an N64 game and tinker with the Nintendo emulator, and then re-inject the game?

all the ROMS floating on the internet and the ones in VC as well are already ALL extracted from N64 cartridges

or do you mean something else ?
otherwise it's basically what ROM injection already do: take any ROM and inject it into a VC WAD file

but really, don't start thinking that obvious solutions has not been tried yet, people are trying to inject RARE games since the beginning of the Virtual Console hack

the problem with RARE roms is simple and double:
1/ there is a specific boot Chip (CIC) and specific backup Chip (EEPROM,SRAM...) in (quite) all N64 games: this can be overrriden with a patch on the ROM and use of a similar VC version
2/ RARE games make use of a specific instruction set but current VC emulators do not understand these instructions and will result in gfx/sound issues: this can only be fixed with an upgraded emulator

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Jacobeian said:
QUOTE said:

all the ROMS floating on the internet and the ones in VC as well are already ALL extracted from N64 cartridges

or do you mean something else ?
otherwise it's basically what ROM injection already do: take any ROM and inject it into a VC WAD file

but really, don't start thinking that obvious solutions has not been tried yet, people are trying to inject RARE games since the beginning of the Virtual Console hack

the problem with RARE roms is simple and double:
1/ there is a specific boot Chip (CIC) and specific backup Chip (EEPROM,SRAM...) in (quite) all N64 games: this can be overrriden with a patch on the ROM and use of a similar VC version
2/ RARE games make use of a specific instruction set but current VC emulators do not understand these instructions and will result in gfx/sound issues: this can only be fixed with an upgraded emulator

Yeah, you don't understand what I mean.
I mean to take the VC game OUT of a WAD, to find the emulator within the WAD, make it so that it will play what you said above, and re-inject a Rare game.

stev418

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1 - a wad contains several files called .app
2 - most .app files are simply ARCHIVES of files
3 - the ROM for a N64 VC is in such an ARCHIVE called 05.app
4 - the actual emulator is contained in the 01.app which is not an ARCHIVE but a .dol file (wii executable file)

So as its an executable file, to 'edit' the emulator it could only be done with reverse engineering the 01.app, something I doubt many would feel like doing when they can play there N64 roms on a PC

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
stev418 said:
1 - a wad contains several files called .app
2 - most .app files are simply ARCHIVES of files
3 - the ROM for a N64 VC is in such an ARCHIVE called 05.app
4 - the actual emulator is contained in the 01.app which is not an ARCHIVE but a .dol file (wii executable file)

So as its an executable file, to 'edit' the emulator it could only be done with reverse engineering the 01.app, something I doubt many would feel like doing when they can play there N64 roms on a PC
So what you are saying is that the emulator is an executable that is easily edited but will take extensive time to encode the code (?) that Perfect Dark and Goldeneye, etc. need to run...
It can't be that bad, right?
blink.gif

And that leads to another question... what if this .dol was used as a boot.dol from the Homebrew Channel? If anyone has not tested, I'll be willing, but I bet it actually does nothing.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
you can not modify program (dols) like that, you need the sourcecode, the only thing you could do is altering some bytes, not enough to implement complete new features like RARE games require

the dol alone won't run because it's looking for stuff on the NAND

Jetstopia

Trophies
XP
Country
Everyone here gets the idea that Rare games have special (some type of code) that makes it impossible to genericly inject them into another VC game.

I was wondering then why do so many other games have issues with being injected?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Youtubebox +1