Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
large.jpg

QUOTE said:
Some of you may be aware that an auction on eBay several weeks ago saw an old NES bundled with some random games sell for a staggering $13,105 USD (approx. £8,744 GBP). That's because one of the games was a copy of Stadium Events; a track and field sports title from Bandai.

What's so special about Stadium Events, you may ask? Released across Japan, North America, and Europe between 1986 and 1988 it was one of the first titles that utilised The Family Fun Fitness mat as the primary control method. Production copies were limited before Nintendo stepped in and bought the American rights, renaming it World Class Track Meet and bundling it with the Power Pad, which makes the pre-rebranded game one of the rarest across all platforms.

A few days ago, a new listing has sold for over three times the amount compared to the previous auction. Yep, it was Stadium Events again. The auction only lasted 10 days but that was more than enough to gather the attention of collectors. The seller had listed the item with a start price of $0.99 USD but amazingly, it took just twenty three minutes for the bids to reach four-figure numbers. Eight hours into the auction and the bids had reached five-figure numbers. When the auction ended last week, the bid that won the item was a massive $41,300 USD (approx. £27,545 GBP). What makes this an even bigger seller than the console bundle has undoubtedly got to be the fact that it's still factory-sealed and relatively "new".

So what's the lesson here? Do a quick search on the Internet before selling off old video game junk. You might be in possession of a game that people are willing for pay crazy money for.
http://retro.nintendolife.com/news/2010/03...sd41300_on_ebay
Holy cow.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
bik75 said:
Still dont get why people pay crazy amount of cash for a rare game... Sad
If you're a collector trying to get all ~700 NES carts or something then it may be your only chance to get this game with box and manual - and it's likely to increase in value.

Why does any rare collectable object become expensive?

Leo Cantus

So zeta slow!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
bik75 said:
Still dont get why people pay crazy amount of cash for a rare game... Sad
If you're a collector trying to get all ~700 NES carts or something then it may be your only chance to get this game with box and manual - and it's likely to increase in value.

Why does any rare collectable object become expensive?
Suppose so

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I own a few rare games myself that I haven't sold, one being Jack Bros. for the Virtual Boy. I don't have Stadium Events or Nintendo WC 1990 though.

lakaiskateboarding

Trophies
XP
Country
Hop2089 said:
I own a few rare games myself that I haven't sold, one being Jack Bros. for the Virtual Boy. I don't have Stadium Events or Nintendo WC 1990 though.
Did you buy Jack Bros. when it came out?

On topic:
I guess people who buy games like these are investors. And lol, the very rare games are always rare, cause they suck.
closedeyes.gif

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it'll sound bitter or something, but every time I see something like this I wish I knew the dude. I'd cockpunch stun the sucker and put the cash to actual smart usage. Such a goddamn waste of money for a shrink wrapped up game they'll never have the balls to open up. This is like NRFB nerdgasm to the max.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
WOW. No wonder the boxart screenshots looked so much like World Class Track Meet. What an interesting little backstory.

Phooey... I was getting excited that I could make a pretty penny off of my Power Pad.

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Konata-Chan said:
shit. my cousin sold this in a garage sale for 10 dollars....

Tell your cousin to induce a heart attack.

Just kidding. But really, if you aren't lying your cousin is gonna rip out his/her hair from hearing this.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm gonna go have a sift through my retro games collection. Much as I love my retro gear, I've got tuition fees to pay, not to mention bills. Here's hoping I can find something of value. Best I've managed so far is someone once offered me £20 cash for my copy of U.N Squadron on SNES. That was without the box, which I'm pretty sure I have around here somewhere.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
danielkraak said:
Hop2089 said:
Did you buy Jack Bros. when it came out?

On topic:
I guess people who buy games like these are investors. And lol, the very rare games are always rare, cause they suck.
closedeyes.gif

No, I bought it from a flea market with the original case, good condition, but no instruction manual, seriously why do people lose those anyway or do they just wipe their butts on them.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have ZERO respect for people wasting offensive sums on garbage.

I was there when the NES was new, and most of the games were garbage then, so they are still garbage now.

If a person can waste that much cash on a fucking piece of junk, then he hasn't been taxed enough yet. But I bet he bitches about the price of common groceries.

whoomph

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Panzer Tacticer said:
I have ZERO respect for people wasting offensive sums on garbage.

I was there when the NES was new, and most of the games were garbage then, so they are still garbage now.

If a person can waste that much cash on a fucking piece of junk, then he hasn't been taxed enough yet. But I bet he bitches about the price of common groceries.

I have much respect for people wasting THEIR money on things which the wider world perceives as junk.
As a record collector, I have been ridiculed by friends and family for buying an overpriced variant of an album I already own. I say - "what do you care?"
I love the emulation scene but were I to become stoopid rich in the future, I'd set out to buy a shitload of original carts/systems. If my zx spectrum/gameboy/master system/amiga/tv pong system ever decide to die, I would definitely replace them, even at an inflated cost.

Also, to say that most NES games were shit is a really pointless/obvious statement. MOST games for the Amstrad, Spectrum, Amiga, Master System, Mega Drive, Sega CD, Saturn, Gameboy, Lynx, NES, SNES, Jaguar, Playstation, N64, Gamecube and all modern gaming consoles are epic piles of shit. (personal experience over wikipedia research
tongue.gif
) MOST movies, tv shows, music, websites are shit. See a pattern here? It's about seeking out a diamond in the pile shit.

Well done to the ebay winner for keeping the NES legend alive. I for one couldn't care less about his grocery bill
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1