Homebrew RAM editing glitch on any 3DS, might lead to an exploit?

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think there's any possibility of Petit Computer being similarly exploitable. It doesn't have resizable background layers like SmileBASIC does, and so BGSREEN doesn't even exist there.
Very true. I know people are already looking into it though. IIRC, we can view memory in PTC. If so, it could be limited.

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As trinitro said, there's pretty much a 0% chance of exploiting PTC via this method, because BGSCREEN doesn't exist.
Though, this being gbatemp people run off on the slightest piece of info. Good job staying on topic, guys.

TL;DR: don't try to exploit PTC you're wasting everyone's time.
Yep. We cannot use that method. But there are already people looking into PTC. I myself am too (I also like to screw around in it, so I'm not wasting time).

slackerSnail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't want to be Debbie downer, but having used PTC on and off for around 3 years, I'm not convinced there's any exploit potential anywhere. Not gonna stop you from trying, though.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I wonder how many people have dumped their RAMs/WAMs :P

Here's my method:

First, open up SmileBASIC, and somehow get this code into it:

https://gist.github.com/MarcuzD/412da8fcf74a75b50ac357c6a5ccae9f

Usage:
- DPAD LEFT/RIGHT - move one pixel
- DPAD UP/DOWN - move one tile
- L/R - scroll really fast
- Y - set position to start of function list
- hold X - set starting position to dump RAM
- release X - set ending position to dump RAM

Now, get yourself a homebrew that can dump ExtData, and dump it, and somehow get the "###" folder on your PC

Download this code, and run `gcc b2bin.c -o b2bin`
https://gist.github.com/MarcuzD/dd2fee1b0f8725a4f167d1e37efc9665

Run `./b2bin BRAMDUMP`, and a few seconds later it should create a file named "BRAMDUMP.bin". This is your RAM dump converted to an analyzable format.
97226e6072.png

Last edited by Sono,

Seedbon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to state first that I fully support this project in terms of being an ARM11 userland entrypoint. However, I would also like to state that the way to which Native_FIRM and TWL_FIRM operate is vastly different. While TWL_FIRM is still relatively unexplored, or rather documented for the majority, there are some known factors. I have minorly read into it, so if anything I state is incorrect, feel free to correct. I just can't stand by and read all these replies about using PetitComputer to take control of the ARM9 kernel.

The first factor being that the NTR base of TWL_FIRM is extremely bare minimum. It was written to execute from Slot-1 to interact with the cartridge, and little more was done. Nintendo did all they needed, and did not make it anymore luxurious. Interaction with other pieces of hardware, such as the SD card from the NTR base are sandboxed. Secondly, the way that the NTR base is able to affect FCRAM, or really any part of memory, is again, limited. This gives a limited space and limited options to actually view from the BGLayer overflow. Finally, the NTR base of TWL_FIRM does not interact with any kernel, rather each cartridge has baremetal code needed for each of its purposes. Each cartridge is dependent solely on itself, and contained inside of a sandbox that the ARM9 kernel is unreachable from. These factors all make the concept of taking control of everything needed become more and more implausible.

Again, I may totally incorrect, so feel free to correct me. Edit: I was under the impression that Petit Computer was a cartridge, not DSiware.

Last edited by Seedbon,
Reactions: VegaRoXas

seijinshu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to state first that I fully support this project in terms of being an ARM11 userland entrypoint. However, I would also like to state that the way to which Native_FIRM and TWL_FIRM operate is vastly different. While TWL_FIRM is still relatively unexplored, or rather documented for the majority, there are some known factors. I have minorly read into it, so if anything I state is incorrect, feel free to correct. I just can't stand by and read all these replies about using PetitComputer to take control of the ARM9 kernel.

The first factor being that the NTR base of TWL_FIRM is extremely bare minimum. It was written to execute from Slot-1 to interact with the cartridge, and little more was done. Nintendo did all they needed, and did not make it anymore luxurious. Interaction with other pieces of hardware, such as the SD card from the NTR base are sandboxed. Secondly, the way that the NTR base is able to affect FCRAM, or really any part of memory, is again, limited. This gives a limited space and limited options to actually view from the BGLayer overflow. Finally, the NTR base of TWL_FIRM does not interact with any kernel, rather each cartridge has baremetal code needed for each of its purposes. Each cartridge is dependent solely on itself, and contained inside of a sandbox that the ARM9 kernel is unreachable from. These factors all make the concept of taking control of everything needed become more and more implausible.

Again, I may totally incorrect, so feel free to correct me.
NTR has nothing to do with PTC. If we were able to exploit arm9, we get arm9 kernel. There is nothing below arm9 kernel in arm9 which is what TWL runs on. If we exploit TWL, we get arm9 Kernel. And TWL also is DSiWare. If we got arm9 code execution, even in twl, we could (just a theory) make a firm launch like the 9.2 arm9 exploit.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
NTR has nothing to do with PTC. If we were able to exploit arm9, we get arm9 kernel. There is nothing below arm9 kernel in arm9 which is what TWL runs on. If we exploit TWL, we get arm9 Kernel. And TWL also is DSiWare. If we got arm9 code execution, even in twl, we could (just a theory) make a firm launch like the 9.2 arm9 exploit.
No, when you get twl (dsiware) execution, you don't get 3ds mode arm9 -- it's completely locked out by that point.

You can, however, access raw 3ds NAND. All of it, including FIRM0 and FIRM1. This currently enables known-plaintext attacks to downgrade any version of native_firm from 9.6 - 10.7.

So IF someone got control of PTC, they could downgrade if they're at 11.0. They, of course, would need 3ds user hax too to perform the actual downgrade from the 11.0/10.7 hybrid firmware to 9.2.

Last edited by zoogie,

Seedbon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was under the impression that Petit Computer was a cartridge based game. I never owned a DSi, so I am unfamiliar with DSiwarw. From what I've read, DSi (TWL) software and DS (NTR) hardware+software act in much different ways from inside of TWL_FIRM, which is why I referred to it as the NTR base. I may, again, be completely incorrect in stating that. That was the premise of my reply, though.

Swiftloke

Hwaaaa!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was under the impression that Petit Computer was a cartridge based game. I never owned a DSi, so I am unfamiliar with DSiwarw. From what I've read, DSi (TWL) software and DS (NTR) hardware+software act in much different ways from inside of TWL_FIRM, which is why I referred to it as the NTR base. I may, again, be completely incorrect in stating that. That was the premise of my reply, though.
Nope it's dsiware

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Float like a butterfly burns when I pee lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So does that mean your date was not good? It burns now?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got two new stds in one night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: