ROM Hack Ragnarok DS - English Translation Project

JERAZiK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybalat said:
im so noobish sorry... but how can i get the latest patch???
Read the first post in this thread. The download link should be there.

Again, big thanks to twiz and the entire translation team. Glad to see this project is beyond fruition and almost near the halfway point.

Chris_Skylock

Trophies
Website
www.friendster.com
XP
Country
What was the original japanese logo for the RAGNAROK DS patched logo - RAGNAROK DS or RAGNAROK ONLINE DS? It's a nice addition but was it ラグナロクDS or ラグナロクオンラインDS?

Why is it the the latest patch is smaller than the 20+MB patch I downloaded before? it's now what, 600KB

-

I'll still look for the things added in this patch. Havent looked it up since I downloaded it ASAP. Im glad my SAV can be imported

artlan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
clubecgr said:
What was the original japanese logo for the RAGNAROK DS patched logo - RAGNAROK DS or RAGNAROK ONLINE DS? It's a nice addition but was it ?????DS?or ??????????DS?

Why is it the the latest patch is smaller than the 20+MB patch I downloaded before? it's now what, 600KB

-

I'll still look for the things added in this patch. Havent looked it up since I downloaded it ASAP. Im glad my SAV can be imported

It was ??????????DS, and if you look a few pages back you'll find a picture of it as well as a blank template to make your own logo if you want to make a better one for us to use
smile.gif

As for the patch size, I know it's been asked a lot before, but just too be nice I'll answer it again. The new patches are made with a tool Andy created that handles the changed data, as opposed to packing in tons of full files. So the patch, which being SUPER small, has a LOT of data.

For changes... not much script wise. up to almost the entire Chapter 4, Quests 1-8 (which are most of the prontera pub, the geffen gate, and the lost woods quest which is still being fixed up. Most of the changes include the updated graphics I've worked on. Butterfly Wing top text, Game Over text, menu button, chat button, the "Miss" "Lucky" and "Guard" text when you fight... the top stat menu that I had to number tile by tile to map out so andy could make it readable for everyone... I can't remember the rest.

shapeshifter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
twiztidsinz said:
as well as a rewrite of the Item Descriptions to be descriptive, i.e.
Katar from "Set of daggers which
handle unusually.
+DEX" to "DEX +2",
Bazerald from "Engraved with emblems.
Worn on special occasions." to "INT +5",
Survivor's Rod (Int) from "Made by the Mage Guild
and Prontera Church.
+MATK, +HP" to "MaxHP +400
INT +3
M.ATK +15"
hope you don't mean you'll take off the whole description...I think that'll alter the experience of the game, since you can already view the changes while equipping

or you can just make different patches when the translation is finished, one for the description intact, and the other for the stat changes in the description (I guess it's just a matter of one single file, so I suggest leaving the description as is for some people out there who are concerned about it, and the file with the item stat description in an alternative patch, again we already can see the changes while equipping so that would be a bit of pointless tedious work)

offtopic:
I don't understand why people use cheats to max out stats since it defeats the purpose, and they'll miss on a lot of fun
¯\(°_o)/¯

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shapeshifter said:
hope you don't mean you'll take off the whole description...I think that'll alter the experience of the game, since you can already view the changes while equipping

or you can just make different patches when the translation is finished, one for the description intact, and the other for the stat changes in the description (I guess it's just a matter of one single file, so I suggest leaving the description as is for some people out there who are concerned about it, and the file with the item stat description in an alternative patch, again we already can see the changes while equipping so that would be a bit of pointless tedious work)
Well... the goal is to have the flavor text + stats, with stats being more important.
The flavor text on the items serves absolutely NO purpose and, actually, has caused issues on a number of items (Book of Apocalypse for example caused crashes until I removed the flavor text). It is also inaccurate and misleading... For example:
--- Muramasa "Named after a legendary
swordsmith.
+ASPD" makes no mention of increasing your critical, yet gives Crit +20

--- Ice Falchion "A sword imbued with Water.
+Damage vs. Fire"
--- Firebrand "A sword imbued with Fire.
+Damage vs. Earth"
Both of these weapons say they deal increased damage to Fire and Earth respectively.
Ice, by its element, does more damage to Fire, while Fire, by its element does more damage to Earth.
( Fire > Earth > Wind > Ice > Fire ) so is this damage increase from its element type? or a property of the weapon?

Not all item properties will show up on your character screen.

shapeshifter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Macau
well I just find that it gives more personality, depth, and background to the items, it's an interesting aspect in RPGs at least for me, but too bad the game doesn't have scrolling in the descriptions so that there can be room for additions like accurate description

anyway thanks for the clarification

btw do you have anything other than that RODS Item Database.ods spreadsheet so that I can view the true translation desciptions like they are, cause I can't upload it on google docs because of some unknown reason, and I can't seem to open it with XLSviewer it crashes

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
shapeshifter said:
well I just find that it gives more personality, depth, and background to the items, it's an interesting aspect in RPGs at least for me, but too bad the game doesn't have scrolling in the descriptions so that there can be room for additions like accurate description

anyway thanks for the clarification

btw do you have anything other than that RODS Item Database.ods spreadsheet so that I can view the true translation desciptions like they are, cause I can't upload it on google docs because of some unknown reason, and I can't seem to open it with XLSviewer it crashes
I'm not sure what program you're using to view spreadsheets, but OpenOffice.org is free and a good enough for the average user as a replacement for Microsoft Office. Microsoft Office should also support ODS and ODF files either natively or by a download from Microsoft.
I've converted the spreadsheet to XLS format (Office 97/2000/XP) and uploaded it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?mmymbncm2m2

kartgarcia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, I found one more bug.

When you clear the game you automatically go to Prontera after all the credits and cutscenes. But after that, in Prontera, when I opened the Quest Menu (Menu/Misc Settings/Quest info) and selected to see the side quests (The non-story related quests) page 2, so, when you do that and try to come back to Main Menu by pressing the "back arrow", the game crashes.

I made several tests in another places and I realized that if you do that in whatever you are, the game crashes. ^^

I don't know if it matters have side quests in progress or not, but it crashes, and I report everything that crashes the game >.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
kartgarcia said:
Eh, I found one more bug.

When you clear the game you automatically go to Prontera after all the credits and cutscenes. But after that, in Prontera, when I opened the Quest Menu (Menu/Misc Settings/Quest info) and selected to see the side quests (The non-story related quests) page 2, so, when you do that and try to come back to Main Menu by pressing the "back arrow", the game crashes.

I made several tests in another places and I realized that if you do that in whatever you are, the game crashes. ^^

I don't know if it matters have side quests in progress or not, but it crashes, and I report everything that crashes the game >.

kartgarcia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not with my DS now =/, but page 1 doesn't crash. Try in yours to confirm about page 2. Later I gonna send my save file and the results of the tests, maybe tomorrow, because I'm not with my DS. And today is the birthday of my friend...hahaha, today I have party
smileipb2.png
, missing Brazil, where I have party all the days =/

artlan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, just to update everyone (no screen shot this time HAH) I've been working away at the log window while Twiz is tracing crashes. The good news is I've gotten most of the tower dialog, and a lot of the normal log window done. (Gonna guess about 75-80% of the tower, and 90% of the normal log) and the same file has the text that shows up under the skill picture on the top screen. So all that's coming along. The bad news is, as I do all this and Twiz and I test thing, we've been finding a lot of nice new limitations... like the fact that the lines shown in my last screen shot will crash your game if you access the menu
tongue.gif
Most of these have been resolved by making the lines smaller but still usable. "Monster was defeated!" is now "Monster died." Not as flashy sure, but it's better than black screens
biggrin.gif

Sadly, Twiz is still getting weird 'random' crashes which I'm unable to re-produce... so we're still working on it. Hopefully when the tool is updated and we're able to include these in the patches we'll have them ready so you can all enjoy them asap
biggrin.gif

Oh, last thing... to anyone who has the misfortune of towering with me Online, I apologize in advance... I only go 'Online' to make sure it's still working and my edited data isn't crashing it... often that means after I verify things... I leave. To Rogero, whoever you are and if you're here, sorry about the boss fight, I tried to stay but my edits crashed the game that time.

NetShira

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully this won't be thought of as useless posting but thank you for the translations so far!

This has really made the game fun and playable even so far and I really look forward to future releases. Thanks so much!

artlan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NetShira said:
Hopefully this won't be thought of as useless posting but thank you for the translations so far!

This has really made the game fun and playable even so far and I really look forward to future releases. Thanks so much!

Trust me, nothing positive is useless posting
smile.gif
Thanks for the support, and we all hope you will enjoy the nice updates to come.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 👍