that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
tiduscrying.wordpress.com
XP
Country
United States
Olright. So, I have a R4i SDHC for my DSi (It is a white card marked "Dual Core". Has a red PCB and runs the wood interface). The DSi's firmware is only at 1.4.3. Yesterday, I was trying to put a loader type thing so I could play Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey. The loader dual booted the official R4 YSMENU. But when I ran the dual booting program, the screen went blank and froze. Then I restarted the DSi and tried to boot back up my R4. Instead of booting back into wood, it gave me the DSi error message. I have since formatted the card with Windows and the SD formatting program. I have also reloaded my flash carts firmware four or five times. Even when I take out the micro sd card, the DSi still displays the same message. What does this mean? Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? This has happened to me once before, but I cannot remember what I did to the cart to make it work again. Perhaps to make sure it isn't the cart itself, should I put the cart into a standard DS Lite? This is the cards website. I have crawled it for any answers, but am still at a loss. Any help is greatly appreciated.

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I used a friend's DS Lite and taa-daa, the blasted card works. But only on my friends DS. I just don't get it... I have have updated kernels, formatted the SD, made sure to NOT upgrade my DSi. Urg. I guess I might just have to go for broke and get a used DS lite or a proper R4 instead. Thanks for the help anyway.

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I'm a tad bit late to this discussion but your card is bricked. Some lower quality cards will become damaged if dual-boot firmwares aren't setup properly, which is why you are having problems. Don't worry, I did the same thing, trying to push a R4i 3D to the limit. You can un-brick the card if you have another flash card you know?! :) Let me know if you need help.

Is it still considered bricked even though it works perfectly fine on a DS Lite?

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Alright, alright. I am sick and tired of seeing my DSi on a shelf not being used. I had so many great games on that R4. I am totally interested on how to unbrick it with another card. A friend of mine owns a Acekard 2i and a DS lite (he is the only other guy I know who owns another flash cart). Just a refresher, I own a R4i SDHC and a DSi. Please let me know how I can unbrick the card (I am a cheapskate, I'd really rather not buy another card).

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it still considered bricked even though it works perfectly fine on a DS Lite?
Your card was never updated for v1.4.3 firmware. I bet your card doesn't say "new" on the sticker, does it? Also, Google "TK Saturn Paper Trick," and use the method of putting a piece of paper/electrical tape behind the contacts, inside of the flashcard's case.

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
I'm a tad bit late to this discussion but your card is bricked. Some lower quality cards will become damaged if dual-boot firmwares aren't setup properly, which is why you are having problems. Don't worry, I did the same thing, trying to push a R4i 3D to the limit. You can un-brick the card if you have another flash card you know?! :) Let me know if you need help.

I re-read this thread in its entirety and your card is not bricked. You have a contact issue. Google "TK Saturn Paper Trick," and do the methos of putting a piece of paper behind the contacts inside of the flashcard's case.

Contact issue, eh? Alright. I'll check it out now.

tiduscrying

that butt...
OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United States
Negatory. I tried two different methods, but I feel like the card is different in its manufacturing style. The way the card was made, it has a little bar beneath the PCB meaning I cannot insert something behind it.
2012-07-31-162611.jpg
Please excuse the image quality.
2012-07-31-162848.jpg
The game shows up on the DSi's menu...​
2012-07-31-162857.jpg
But then doesn't do jack...​

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You don't have a contact issue, if the card is recognized by your DSi.
It's either a kernel problem or a firmware problem.
Since the card works on a DSL it's definately a firmware problem.
Download the latest update for your card here.
Unpack it and put the .nds file in the root of your µSD card.
Now run the card in the DSL and run the .nds file.
If the update went successful, then the card should work on your DSi.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
benhofb I noticed you said you are running the "Wood" kernel., but your card is all white and is made by the r4isdhc.com team, get your correct kernel HERE, and more importantly, get the firmware update for your card (I can't directly link you to it because you haven't said if your card says "new" on the sticker, or not) and put it on the root of your micro sd card and run that file using your friends DS Lite. Voila, your problem should be solved.

Your first post mentioned nothing about a firmware update to your DSi but after reading all your posts I'm 90% sure your DSi was upgraded in between the problem you stated and you writing a post for help on this forum OR you haven't checked your system settings properly to check your DSi firmware version in a while. Online help depends on correct information.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You don't have a contact issue, if the card is recognized by your DSi.
It's either a kernel problem or a firmware problem.
Since the card works on a DSL it's definitely a firmware problem.
Re-read this thread. You missed something....
I didn't miss anything.
He said he updated his kernels, not his firmware/bootloader.
No where do I see see any sign of him actually trying to update his firmware/bootloader and all signs points towards a firmware/bootloader problem.

jimmyemunoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Re-read my last post and you'll see I removed my statement. Honestly, I think it's "user error," and he needs to go over very preliminary tasks, before he makes any more posts in this topic. #1 would be for him to do a firmware update. #2 using the correct kernel.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Re-read my last post and you'll see I removed my statement before you posted this rebuttal. Honestly, I think it's "user error" and he needs to go over very preliminary tasks before he makes any more posts in this topic.
Exactly, he should run his native kernel and try to execute a bootloader update.
You did link to the wrong kernel though, he mentioned his card is a "Dual Core".
The latest Dual Core kernel is this one: http://down4.nds9.cn/r4isdhc-white/r4isdhc-whiteEnglish1.50.rar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn