Hacking R4i Revolution for DS (DSi/DSL/NDS) www.r4ids.cn

calwy1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys,
It's been years since I last messed with my DS Lite and the old R4 that lives inside it. It is labeled as R4i Revolution for DS (DSi/DSL/NDS) www.r4ids.cn and is a gold label.

Oddly, I cannot access my original Micro SD on my PC, although it seems to work fine on the DS Lite itself. I had a look in the Start/Help section and it shows: wood akmenu 1.42 HW: r4ids.cn

I set up a new card, but I am having trouble getting any kernels to work. One I found on my file store from back then that does works shows as wood akmenu 1.31 HW: r4ids.cn - I can't seem to find the same 1.42 file as my old Micro SD card on my file store.

The latest wood kernel on the www.r4ids.cn website is v1.64 but when I put that on the Micro SD it shows as wood akmenu 1.64 HW: R41 Gold Non-3DS but while stuff like LemmingsDS and Doom work OK, all the DS games roms I have just go to a black screen with 'Loading' on it.

Do I need to do some firmware update or something? What the hell am I doing wrong?!

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi Guys,
It's been years since I last messed with my DS Lite and the old R4 that lives inside it. It is labeled as R4i Revolution for DS (DSi/DSL/NDS) www.r4ids.cn and is a gold label.

Oddly, I cannot access my original Micro SD on my PC, although it seems to work fine on the DS Lite itself. I had a look in the Start/Help section and it shows: wood akmenu 1.42 HW: r4ids.cn

I set up a new card, but I am having trouble getting any kernels to work. One I found on my file store from back then that does works shows as wood akmenu 1.31 HW: r4ids.cn - I can't seem to find the same 1.42 file as my old Micro SD card on my file store.

The latest wood kernel on the www.r4ids.cn website is v1.64 but when I put that on the Micro SD it shows as wood akmenu 1.64 HW: R41 Gold Non-3DS but while stuff like LemmingsDS and Doom work OK, all the DS games roms I have just go to a black screen with 'Loading' on it.

Do I need to do some firmware update or something? What the hell am I doing wrong?!
If u can't read the SD card on pc it's bad

calwy1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First it would be good to format the micro sd in FAT 32 with SD Formatter or GuiFormat.
Then try this:
https://mega.nz/file/H8oEjZIT#8aw9xOkFOMcw08YEJuR7YcDkjtU16MjKNEwKynBQB0o

Hi,
Thanks for the file - that works fine, but I noticed when going into 'Slot 2/Wood' that the version details it shows: wood akmenu 1.18 HW: C2. Is this actually an older version of Wood than the one I am using at the moment given that is 1.31? The frontend shows 1.50, but that's just the frontend, right? It's running the old version of Wood underneath?

What I am trying to do is stick with the basic Wood (or acekard RPG frontend as it shows at the top) but the latest version that was available for my card. If a Wood version 1.64 is available, I am not sure why it won't load the rom files when it does load stuff like LemmingsDS, ZXDS and Doom?

One thing I have noticed is all the ones that boot roms have the 'WOODR4.NDS' file - is this the key to loading roms?

As for the Micro SD, I have loads of these around. I will just keep the one the PC won't read as its got all my old saves etc. on it, and I am using a new one now. I use GuiFormat all the time, so that's not a problem.

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited by calwy1,

calwy1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

calwy1

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
One last thing, I couldn't remember the maximum Micro SD card size (and this R4i Revolution card is not labeled as SDHC) but the card that I had in there previously was an 8GB card, and I have got a 32GB card in there now, which appears to be working with no issues.

I read somewhere there was a max 2GB Micro SD card for these older R4 cards? If that is correct, how come this 32GB card is working and I already have more than 2GB of files stored on it?

Any ideas? Will there be issues down the line?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill