R4i Gold Skins?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by Terrence57, Sep 18, 2009.

Sep 18, 2009

R4i Gold Skins? by Terrence57 at 10:12 PM (27,635 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. Terrence57
    OP

Newcomer Terrence57 Member

Canada
    I couldn't find any R4i Gold skins, so I tried using the ones from www.ndsthemes.com I went to the R4 section and picked a skin and downloaded it to my memory stick. When I started up my r4i gold, the skin didn't work. It was all fuzzy and stuff and there were those pink bars o.0 Anyone know how to put skins into R4i Gold?

2. Sokaris

Newcomer Sokaris Newbie

United States
    As far as I know the only skins that work are on the r4i Gold website:
    http://www.r4ids.com/r4i-download-e.html
    They're near the bottom. Also, you may need to change the language to chinese to download some of them, otherwise you'll get an error when you try to download the skin.

3. Terrence57
    OP

Newcomer Terrence57 Member

Canada
    Yeah, but I don't like any of those. Is there a website like ndsthemes that has stuff for the R4i? Also, is it possible to make your own skins that work with the r4i gold?

4. baffle-boy

Member baffle-boy GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    sam problem with the r4ultra i got, back when i was n00b enough to buy a clone card. sorry, but because you made a fail at life mistake, you are up the creek without a paddle.

5. FethrdWlf

Newcomer FethrdWlf Newbie

United States
    I tried downloading from there but it says this,"Directory Listing Denied This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed." Any help?

6. dray

Newcomer dray Newbie

United States
    Here is a work arround that will let you use any skin you download. The issue comes in with the bit depth of the images. The R4iDS skins need a 16bit image. All of the other skins I have seen are using a 24bit image. there is a free program called Paint.NET that will let you save the 24bit images as 16bit images. You will need to download the program and a plug-in for it. Here are the links to the software and plug-in. The plugin (a .dll file) needs to be coppied into the FileTypes directory in the install path of the application.

Paint.NET freeware software:
    http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

Plug-in:
    http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/download/file.php?id=5256

Just open the image then save as Bitmap (Low Color)*.bmp option. After it is saved, check the properties of the image file and you will see that it is now 16 bit. Do this for all of the images and the skin will work on the R4iDS card.

Hope this helps.

7. tr67

Newcomer tr67 Newbie

United States
    I'm so grateful to find this thread. Lifefail, creek no paddle, etc acknowledged, but trying to make the best of it. That paindotnet.forumer link seems to have gone bad over the past few months, but I found the plugin here: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?showtopic=15317. I just can't figure out where I'm supposed to put my skin files now. Have tried /_system_, /_system_/themes, /_system_/themes/theme08, but no luck. It's also possible there's some key combo to activate the skin that I'm unaware of. Any info for this long-time-lurker first-time-poster is greatly appreciated. No documentation is so frustrating. >_<

UPDATE Works! I had to "downgrade" to the OFFICIAL OFFICIAL firmware on r4ids.com. v1.35 from r4idsn.com ran for me, and I guess it helps w/some game compat issues, but skins and homebrew were a no-go.

8. firesavvy

Newcomer firesavvy Member

Canada