Hacking R4DS with a full size SD card?

andyholloway

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
i have been trying to work out a way to connect a normal SD card up to my R4DS over the last few weeks, simply so i will have more space for games. i have thought of a neat enough way to fit it all in. (i am wanting to do this so that when 32GB sd cards come out and R4DS supports SDHC cards i will be have plenty of space!
well i gave it a good go today, i pulled apart a usb sd card reader and wired the sd slot directly to the r4ds and all i could get it to do with a normal sd card in was to turn on and say loading. i also tried using a micro sd card in a micro sd card to sd card adaptor and putting that in my wired in sd card slot and it worked but froze every 5-30 seconds. any ideas anyone? might my wires be too long? i have checked all connections and it all seems right.
does anyone know what the difference between pin 3 and 6 are on an sd card? see here: http://pinouts.ru/Memory/sdcard_pinout.shtml
i have seen on the net (i cant find it now) someone added an sd card to a access point for some reason and he just directly connected pin 3 to pin 6... this led me to believe they do the same thing, i have tried with the connected together, i have tried connecting just pin 6, i think it works better with them connected but neither really work so i dont know... either way worked the same with i used my micro sd card in the micro sd to sd adaptor as pin 6 connects to nothing inside the adaptor, see here: http://squirrel007.com/pictures/100_1744.JPG

to sum it all up, i still think it should work, or if a normal sd card cant work i should be able to get my micro sd card working through the adaptor, through my custom sd card slot, as that should be all connected pin for pin, just as if it were in the real micro sd card slot in the r4ds.
and does anyone know of any other forum i should be posting this on where more knowledgeable people would see it?
if any of this is badly phrased and therefore confusing, please let me know and i will try to explain myself better.

andyholloway

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
thanks for your input, the r4ds team say they will release a new firmware for the r4ds which will support sdhc. but even if they dont i can still get another brand flash cart which does support sdhc, like DSTT or something, i know that wont be a problem. i just need some help to get a full size sd card of any capacity working for now.

andyholloway

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I GOT IT WORKING!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

i shortened the wires to about 3cm long i think and it works flawlessly, pins 3 and 6 are soldered together and every other pin just connects straight up. now i just gotta make a neat install and wait for those 32GB cards to be released.
im so excited:D

E-Vix

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
thanks for your input, the r4ds team say they will release a new firmware for the r4ds which will support sdhc. but even if they dont i can still get another brand flash cart which does support sdhc, like DSTT or something, i know that wont be a problem. i just need some help to get a full size sd card of any capacity working for now.
Where did you read that? Because just a little over a month ago they made a statement that the current hardware version wouldn't support SDHC...

jelbo

Ōkami!
Trophies
Website
cursors.pocketheaven.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I GOT IT WORKING!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

i shortened the wires to about 3cm long i think and it works flawlessly, pins 3 and 6 are soldered together and every other pin just connects straight up. now i just gotta make a neat install and wait for those 32GB cards to be released.
Cool, care to share some pics?

Sjaool

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.ubertastic.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I GOT IT WORKING!!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

It will not work. R4DS can't be updated to SDHC compatability. It's too difficult too implement.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.