Hacking R4DS ARM-7 Jazz, or a new card?

Ech0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've had an R4 for at least a year now, but I haven't picked it up in at least 6 months. Now the way I understand it, Nintendo is using some new copy protection or whatnot and the new ROMs won't work. I've heard about potential fixes (YSmenu? DSLazy? etc.) but I don't really understand exactly what they are. It seems like DSLazy is just a patch for the newer ROMs, that I'd have to apply to each game I download, while YSMenu is more of an alternate firmware? Any correction/confirmation would be awesome in that department. Maybe an explanation of how they actually work?

With that said, I have a few options ahead of me. I could try these fixes and be perfectly fine, or I could just trash my R4 and upgrade. I've heard good things about the CycloDS Evo, would that be a good choice? Did they ever upgrade the AR functionality though? I've gotten accustomed to the R4's cheat system, anything similar to that out there?

What to do?

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ech0 said:
I've had an R4 for at least a year now, but I haven't picked it up in at least 6 months. Now the way I understand it, Nintendo is using some new copy protection or whatnot and the new ROMs won't work. I've heard about potential fixes (YSmenu? DSLazy? etc.) but I don't really understand exactly what they are. It seems like DSLazy is just a patch for the newer ROMs, that I'd have to apply to each game I download, while YSMenu is more of an alternate firmware? Any correction/confirmation would be awesome in that department. Maybe an explanation of how they actually work?

With that said, I have a few options ahead of me. I could try these fixes and be perfectly fine, or I could just trash my R4 and upgrade. I've heard good things about the CycloDS Evo, would that be a good choice? Did they ever upgrade the AR functionality though? I've gotten accustomed to the R4's cheat system, anything similar to that out there?

What to do?

I highly enjoy my Acekard, (and AKAIO is going to be the Official firmware soon!).

If you want Real-Time Save and In-Game Text, I'd say go for the CycloDS, but if you don't care about those features, go for an Acekard 2.

Ech0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Acekards? Weren't they like, bad? Pardon my ignorance, but I've been away from anything DS-related for too long.

And what do you mean by in-game text?

blanco613

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now the acekards are great
i personaly have a cyclo ds evolution wich is better than the acekard but more expensive i would get one of those 2

and i have an r4ds as well and all the new games work with my r4

kai445

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ech0 said:
Acekards? Weren't they like, bad? Pardon my ignorance, but I've been away from anything DS-related for too long.

And what do you mean by in-game text?

There were some bad Acekards, but they're all off the market (and the Acekard company has been very good in working with people and replacing defective cards, so the problem is 100% taken care of).

In-game text would be the ability to pause your game to read a text file, then resume playing. So you can put hint or strategy guide txt files on your card and read them while you play.

Ech0

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I remember when I got my R4, everything was just like BAM! and it worked. Price isn't really an issue here, so assuming I'm going to upgrade, general consensus says Cyclo?

@ blanco613:

Is it a clone or are you using YSmenu or anything like that? DSLazy? I dunno about you, but I can't even get Kirby Superstar Ultra to load more than once...

blanco613

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i forgot to mention the great action replay support on the cyclo
you just run a ds app called usrcheat up and you cheats for every ds game are automattically updated by narin (who updates the cheatcodes for this site) and you don't even have to spend the time putting all the codes in. its awesome.and it is update pretty much everyday

also the cyclods has more features than any other flashcard like thee ingame menu, gba support,rumble support,etc
so in the end the cyclods is the best you just gotta pay for it
i reccomend dealwoot.com if you want a cyclods if you want an acekard go to wwww.dealextreme.com

Posts merged

and no i don't use any custom firmwares on my r4 and all ds roms work fine i even got and english patched version of pokemon platinum to work

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think you should try YSMenu. Unless you want RTS, in game text reader or slo-mo. Otherwise cyclo

But give YSMenu a go and see if you have any compatibility problems. If you dont, dont bother upgrading, because you are only gonna use it launch games really.

Big Green

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Edge has slow mo and very high game compatibility and it's only 15 dollars, the iTouch has Real Time Save and it's only 17.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E